View Poll Results: How much do you use your 360 HDD?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Use it? It saves my games, thats all.

6 15.79%
  • I download the occasional demo or arcade game, still plenty free space

22 57.89%
  • I use the Video Marketplace or download tons of Arcade games, it's getting full

8 21.05%
  • How much? Don't you mean how many? I've got a full one!

2 5.26%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much of your Xbox 360 HDD do you acutally use?

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Default How much of your Xbox 360 HDD do you acutally use?

So with the recent annoucement of the Xbox 360 1337 with it's 6x bigger HDD at 120gb, it begs the question... what the hell for?

Ok, I get the point of the new system. HDMI, I get it. I want it, but after realizing I'm getting a new TV that doesn't have busted component inputs on it I don't really care too much about HDMI. My 360 can chill on component for now and I may get a different model if my launch one ever dies.

So that leaves the 120gb HDD, something you'd be pretty dumb to buy standalone. Buy the system and sell it with your 20gb HDD. I'd buy that.

Ugh, tangents. So does anyone here actually feel like they NEED more room on their 360 HDD? I've had it since launch and I have 10gb (may as well call it 9gb after downloading shivering isles) free and I can't ever imagine filling it, ever. And if I do? Delete crap I don't care about. Movie trailers for movies I now own on DVD, demos for games that have long since been released, old arcade demos, whatever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've had mine since launch as well and constantly hover around 4 GB free, mainly because I'm a big fan of demos and XBLA titles. I keep all the XBLA titles on the drive, but find myself having to delete demos I would like to keep in order to retain some amount of free space.

I certainly don't need six times the amount of space, though. 40GB or 60GB would more than suffice.
    DP Buy/Sell feedback is here: GM80's Feedback Thread

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am about 90 percent with 1 to 2 gigs free
    neo geo system

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm down to about 4 gigs. I've downloaded some of south park season 10, about 20 arcade games, and just recently shivering isles which was a gig. So I've still got a decent amount of space left, but I do download quite a bit. I've been thinking about getting a 120 gig, but the retail price is pending around 180$ so I don't wanna buy one for sure until I know I'm gonna use the space.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

I hover between 7-9, depending on how may demos I have on the drive at once.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

3.5 gigs free for me. I need to find some way to uninstall FFXI.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RicknSam
    PSN
    howie6925

I have about 6 gigs left, I use it for only XBLA games(and saves) any demo I download is to try then I delete them. I would have more space but I still have the videos and music that came pre-loaded on the HDD.
    Last edited by Howie6925; 03-28-2007 at 09:06 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

I guess I not much of Xbox 360 guy. I have 12.4 gigs free.

My HDD is filled with game saves, and XBLA games. I have full versions of Time Pilot, Symphony of the Night, TMNT Arcade, Lumines, Contra, Hexic, and Totomball. I have also downloaded BC updates to play Psychonauts.

When I got my system I deleted pretty much everything I could, all the videos, music, icons, and wallpapers. That free up alot of space for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Mine is pretty much full, the 120gig will be a nice upgrade.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ThirteenGreen

I have 20 arcade games on my drive and still lots of space left. I download lots of demos, but after I am done with a demo, I delete it to free up space.

I stream all of my music and videos from my PC and since we don't have the video marketplace in Canada like you do in the US I have lots of space free on my stock hard drive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have 20 arcade games and still have 10gigs left.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

I've still got over 10 gigs free, I don't download any videos really except for the occasional free one (and then it has to be something interesting and not rubbish) and I have about a dozen arcade games. As long as you don't hoard worthless movie trailers and delete old demos for games you own/have no interest in, you're basically fine. The 120GB seems to be primarily designed with video in mind. There's absolutely no need for your average 360 owner to require more than 20 or so gigs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I have about 6 gigs left. Now that I think about it, I don't see the point in a 120 gig HDD, What could you possibly put on it to fill it up?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dtolley
    PSN
    dtolley

I stay right around the 10 gig mark. I deleted most of the music and videos that come with the system, but have 28 of the arcade titles to take up the space. Like someone posted above, I also stream from my PC for music and stuff, so it keeps a lot of space open.
    Digitpress
    Ebay

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

I got about 17 gigs free. No demos, just a couple of videos and about 9 XBLA games.

Considering I only have a handful of 360 games, and don't play any xbox games besides halo 2 on it, I haven't exactly filled the machine with content from that. I also deleted some of the music and video stuff that came on the machine, due to the fact I didn't want it.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

I've been as low as under a gig at a few points. HD trailers are a great way to showcase home theater, I have the HD episode of South Park, one demo, 49 arcade games, and a small spattering of music. I'm constantly deleting stuff to make space.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've stated this before, and I'll state it again, I'm not going to be Microsoft's, Sony's or Nintendo's BITCH. You people that keep buying all this "virtual" shit, that you don't really own (ownership implies that you can sell it to somebody else when you are done with it) boggle my mind. I can actually give a pass to people buying the $5 Arcade games, but the ones that are paying like $6 a pop to rent a High Def movie for 24 hours, that is truly mind boggling to me. I rent tons of High Def movies all the time. Blu Ray's, HD-DVD's, and I pay like $1 for each of them. It's hard for me to fathom why people are comfortable paying 6 times as much, and not only that, but they have to have their Xbox 360 Jet Propulsion Engine running for like 12 hours straight just to download the damn thing.

Only thing I use my Hard Drive for are game saves, free demos, an occasional trailer of something, and some music. I have like 7 or 8 gigs of space left (something like that), and I'm perfectly cool with having a 20 gig hard drive. I have no need for the 120 gig monster. I'm actually interested in the Elite, only because of the HDMI slot (necessary for lossless pcm sound on HD-DVD movies), but have zero interest in the giant HDD. In fact, if I get my hands on an Elite, I'll be selling the big HDD and buying a 20 gigger for super cheap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't like it either, Anthony1, but with the 24 hour pass for a movie in HD for $6 you're getting all the comforts of home viewing (call me a traditionalist, but I still like a good theater better - although "good" involves not having sticky floors or loudmouths/dumbasses in the row over) and the chance to re-watch it a number of times. If it's one of the best movies you've ever seen, you can watch it three times without any distraction you wouldn't find in your own home and let it sink in.

Personally, I think the movie deal makes more sense than getting a game you might not be able to play if a service goes down in the future (although the shutdown and seamless recovery of Prey, which people were downloading through a now-defunct service called Triton, seems to indicate that even if a major service like Steam went down that consumers would still be served correctly).

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    I don't like it either, Anthony1, but with the 24 hour pass for a movie in HD for $6 you're getting all the comforts of home viewing (call me a traditionalist, but I still like a good theater better - although "good" involves not having sticky floors or loudmouths/dumbasses in the row over) and the chance to re-watch it a number of times. If it's one of the best movies you've ever seen, you can watch it three times without any distraction you wouldn't find in your own home and let it sink in.

Personally, I think the movie deal makes more sense than getting a game you might not be able to play if a service goes down in the future (although the shutdown and seamless recovery of Prey, which people were downloading through a now-defunct service called Triton, seems to indicate that even if a major service like Steam went down that consumers would still be served correctly).

I rent high def movies all the time via Blockbuster Online. I pay $19.99 per month, and I can have 3 movies out at a time, and when I'm done watching them I can return them to the local Blockbuster for a free in-store rental right on the spot. (not trying to be an advertisment for Blockbuster but it actually is a damn good deal, for me at least). Normally, I average about 16 High Def movies a month thru this program ( and my wife gets the same number of standard def chick flicks that she rents in store). Plus, each month you get 1 coupon that you can use on a free video game rental. So, if you consider the whole ball of wax, I'm actually watching these High Def movies on disk for less than a dollar each. I normally will have the movie for a few days before returning it to the store for a free rental. Also, the movies that people are downloading via XBL Video Marketplace are reduced to 720p from their original 1080p transfers, and also don't feature any lossless sound ability.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Is there the option of a hack or something to run a regular hard drive in an external enclosure hooked up to the 360? With 500 GB drives being common now, even Microsoft's "upgrade" seems quite underwhelming.