Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Metal Slug Anthology (PS2)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Metal Slug Anthology (PS2)

Anyone have this yet? Trying to decide between this and the Wii version, which I gather had a few oddities. (bosses don't have hit flashes so you don't know if you're damaging them, no D-pad support for GameCube pad, etc.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

No one should have it quite yet. I've had this pre-ordered since last September and just got the call that it should be in sometime today. The Wii version was trashed mainly because of the control (surprise, surprise) and the PSP version is a load time nightmare.

This game really has the potential to be a dream come true. All 7 Metal Slugs in one package...I never thought it would happen. My PS2 + HRAP are going to get reaquainted tonight.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

I will keep saying this until I'm blue in the face.

DON'T BUY THE WII VERSION UNLESS YOU LIKE GIMPED CONTROLLS!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I read a little FAQ from some guy who has the game in his hands. Apparently, you can use the D-Pad or the Analog stick. Also, there's a choice of how many continues you want to use, or infinite. The bosses "flash" when you shoot them. Oh, and there is blood. Sounds like there aren't any complaints about this one.
    -Mark

Wanted: Activision Patches - PM me.
    Wanted: Popful Mail Case/Manual - PM me.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm sure you can use the classic control pad for the wii or a gc control pad, you have no real proof that you can't yet. Don't tellpeople not to buy it for Wii, get over it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lozza View Post
    I'm sure you can use the classic control pad for the wii or a gc control pad, you have no real proof that you can't yet. Don't tellpeople not to buy it for Wii, get over it.
    Well, Wikipedia says you can't, so it's final...that and the Wii version has been out for awhile.

What is the "for real" release date on the PS2 version anyways? I can't seem to find a straight answer.

Pac-Man (Level 10) djbeatmongrel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    djbeatmongrel

as a person who works at gamestop. it came in today, i recieved the box myself hehe
    4 Wonderswan Consoles, 98 CIB Wonderswan/Color Games
    6 Wonderswan Accessories,1 Wonderswan Prototype

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by whoisKeel View Post
    Well, Wikipedia says you can't, so it's final...that and the Wii version has been out for awhile.
    Well, anybody can put anything on Wikipedia -- but yeah it's pretty widely known that the Wii version isn't compatible with the classic controller. You can use the GameCube controller, but only with the analog stick -- no d-pad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh hell yes, it's about time.

Is the Metal Slug 3 on it the previous PS2 version or is it just a bare bones port like Metal Slugs 4 and 5 were? I absolutely LOVE the PS2 version of Metal Slug 3 and was always upset it didn't get released in the US (wound up picking up the Xbox version since it was the same though. Go Microsoft!).

I wonder how the load times are, too. I remember MS3 actually loaded a hair faster than the neo geo game (umpossible!) so it'd be nice if the rest of the games were equally well done.

Also, the control sucked in the Wii version, even with a gamecube controller (so wait, I can use the digital pad in the menus but not the game? BRILLIANT! It's not like the gamecube's dpad was all that great to begin with, but come on...)

Wonder if they used the bootleg dump of Metal Slug 5 again, too. That'd be grand.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm getting it tomorrow(mostly for ms6). Fuck the Wii version....

I hope this is PS3 compatable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Well I guess I won't be playing it tonight.

I pre-ordered and paid for the game (in full) last September. Apparently it "didn't come in" today. It did for the other 3 GS/EB's in town.

My guess (primarily based of the clerks terrible acting) is that they got a copy or two in and sold them immediately. I ask...what's the point of pre-ordering something if the store isn't going to have it available. I'm angry, but it's not the end of the world. I just hate being lied to. I think I'll stick to Amazon.com in the future.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Um...yeah. The Wii version has been out for 4 months. You can't use the classic control pad. "Get over it"...good one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

Hold on... I saw on a few sources that the American release of the PS2 version was yesterday on March 28th. Is this accurate? If so, I'm getting it mostly for MS6. I'm looking forward to some alien-blasting, I am.
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I bought the wii version when it came out, the boss thing is kinda annoying but really I could give a crap less about the D-Pad thing.. It's metal slug.... common people it was meant to use a stick. I bought it mostly for MS6 as I have 1 and X on playstation and 3-5 on Neo Geo. For $40 it was a steal, and I play it with a wavebird controller.

As for the PS2 version I'd wait a few days before believing everything was fixed. I don't think SNK/Playmore has ever put out a perfect game, why would they start now.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Psst...asshat.

I OWN THE FUCKING GAME!

You CAN NOT, I repeat, CAN NOT use the Wii classic control pad nor can you use the D-pad on the Gamecube controller.

If you feel like wrestling with that (or the completely worthless "stand your Wiimote up and pretend it's a joystick" modes) knock yourself out. I own Metal Slug games for four different systems, including Neo Geo, and this is the absolute worst control option they could have come up with. For a game that requires pin point accuracy, the analog stick isn't going to cut it. (Game pad analog stick != to an arcade joy stick. Not even close.)

But hey, believe what you want. It's your $50.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I absolutely hate it when games like this are programmed *not* to use the d-pad. I couldn't imagine (not want to either) playing any Metal Slug with an analog stick. Looks like the PS2 version is where I'll be going. So nice to see a compilation like this

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

How much it going for?
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by udisi View Post
    Well I bought the wii version when it came out, the boss thing is kinda annoying but really I could give a crap less about the D-Pad thing.. It's metal slug.... common people it was meant to use a stick.
    Playing with an analog stick is akin to playing the arcade versions with a broken down, worn out stick after it's had soda poured on it a couple of times and a few kids thought it'd be funny to hacksaw a large chunk of it off and urinate on the remains.

In short, if you think it was intended to be played with an analog stick, you're out of your damn mind.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    Playing with an analog stick is akin to playing the arcade versions with a broken down, worn out stick after it's had soda poured on it a couple of times and a few kids thought it'd be funny to hacksaw a large chunk of it off and urinate on the remains.

In short, if you think it was intended to be played with an analog stick, you're out of your damn mind.
    I'm not saying it was intended to be played with an analog stick, but I am saying that the D-Pad is no closer to an arcade stick as the analog stick imo. The analog stick doesn't bother me all that much. It takes some getting use to, but I played through the wii version np with the analog stick.

My biggest point though would be if you wanna play MS the way it's supposed to be played get a Neo-Geo, cause none of the ports have been perfect on any system. If you just wanna play the games and can deal with them not being arcade perfect, I think wii version is just fine, and I would bet that the PS2 version will also be just fine. The Xbox version of 3, 4, and 5 were ok, the Playstation versions of 1 and X were fine. The fact that you can get the entire series on one disc for $40 is awsome despite the imperfections.

Strawberry (Level 2) Drag0nsfyre's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kainemaxwell View Post
    How much it going for?
    I checked GameStop's website and they listed the PS2 version for $40
    I think I'll check out the one near me tomorrow.