Thread: Jump Bug Side Art Question

Peach (Level 3) Pop Culture Portal's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Jump Bug Side Art Question

I posted this question over at Arcade Controls, but I wanted to throw it out to you guys too.

Bit of a very noob question....I found this link to a photo of a Jump Bug:

http://www.thelittons.net/homearcade...mpbugright.jpg

Is it at all possible to somehow use Photoshop or some other program to capture the side art from that machine and turn it into something I could have printed up for my machine...or is the image way too small?

I'm not finding anyone with either a set of the side art or even a good scan of one...this link is all I can find. I'm also having a hard time finding a CPO, too. I know it's a pretty obscure game, but I'm desperate!
    All right youngens, bath time. Cover up your eyes and drop your britches! Who wants wax?

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pop Culture Portal View Post
    Is it at all possible to somehow use Photoshop or some other program to capture the side art from that machine and turn it into something I could have printed up for my machine...or is the image way too small?
    It's way too small and of poor quality to just use it as is, if I'm following correctly. That image might be okay for reference, but you'd have to redraw the entire thing from scratch if you wanted something of decent print quality. Since it's a more obscure game, you could always commission an artist to create sideart for you, but it would be very time consuming and pricey.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Like Arcade Antics said, you would have to take that screen shot, put it into a program like either Photoshop or Illustrator or something, and then essentially "re-draw" the artwork over the digital picture.

If you're not worried about 100% accuracy and are looking for a cheaper (and simpler) alternative, I've considered the following: take a picture like that and use a projector to shoot the picture on to the side of a cabinet. Then, paint the side art by hand. It would still take a bit of talent, but it would be a lot quicker. I've considered this technique for a couple of my games that are missing logos/artwork that were originally painted on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arcade Antics View Post
    It's way too small and of poor quality to just use it as is, if I'm following correctly. That image might be okay for reference, but you'd have to redraw the entire thing from scratch if you wanted something of decent print quality. Since it's a more obscure game, you could always commission an artist to create sideart for you, but it would be very time consuming and pricey.
    I was afraid of that...my machine does have side art, but nearly all the colors have either peeled off or the side art is in horrible shape. I may clean it up a bit and try and scan, piece by piece, the side art, stitch the scans together, and play around with it in Photoshop and then see if I can take it somewhere to be printed up....I'll keep you posted!

Thanks guys for the help!
    All right youngens, bath time. Cover up your eyes and drop your britches! Who wants wax?

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pop Culture Portal View Post
    I may clean it up a bit and try and scan, piece by piece, the side art, stitch the scans together, and play around with it in Photoshop and then see if I can take it somewhere to be printed up....I'll keep you posted!
    Much more do-able. Make sure to scan at 300 dpi or higher though. The printer might only need it to be around 200 or so (since it's large format) but better to have more than you need and then scale it back to their specs.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arcade Antics View Post
    Much more do-able. Make sure to scan at 300 dpi or higher though. The printer might only need it to be around 200 or so (since it's large format) but better to have more than you need and then scale it back to their specs.
    That's really good to know...thanks!