Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Confessions of a Game Store Clerk

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Oh, here's a little gem I missed.

"I was working with a male co-worker one weekend and I was processing trade-ins while he was ringing up customers. The line grew longer, so I decided to help out. I asked the next kid in line if he had any questions. He just pointed at my co-worker and said, 'Oh, no. I'm waiting for that guy.' My co-worker asked, 'Waiting for me? Why?' The kid said, 'Because you look like a gamer.' Being a girl had apparently disqualified me as a 'gamer.' "
    Because it couldn't have been how you dressed, right? There's a very nice lady who works at the GameStop near my home who dresses like one of those people who would willingly work in a clothing store forever. It's not that she doesn't look like a gamer. Hell, I could never figure out what the 'gamer look' was. She just seems to be, and acts as though, she's out of her element.

In reality, she kicks ass at FPS games.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Ace Comics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    CMT Ace

This article started out as a very entertaining read... felt as though I was dodging anvils toward the end though...

My 2 cents, re: the article and this thread:

Pre-Ordering is something I do whenever I want a game on release day... notsomuch to "make sure" I get it, but, just as routine. I like to pay all upfront, so the day the game arrives I don't even need to open my wallet, haha. My only problem with pre-ordering, is that my local EB NEVER gives me the pre-order bonus. They claim they never got any, which I guess is possible...

Now, the selling opened games as new debacle... I've only had this happen once... with a copy of Baten Kaitos late last year. I didn't mind the case being open (though I can understand why it would annoy some), my complaint was that the case looked like an old "well-travelled" cartoon suitcase with stickers all over it. Not the white easy-to-peel stickers, either... of course I didn't realize the sticker difficulty until I got home.

Anyhoo... enjoyed reading the thread!
    -Chris

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy Color View Post
    Because it couldn't have been how you dressed, right? There's a very nice lady who works at the GameStop near my home who dresses like one of those people who would willingly work in a clothing store forever. It's not that she doesn't look like a gamer. Hell, I could never figure out what the 'gamer look' was. She just seems to be, and acts as though, she's out of her element.

In reality, she kicks ass at FPS games.
    The female employee I talked to on my recent visit had a different problem....

guys are always hitting on her. From the way things sounded I guess it mattered little if she was a gamer or not (which she is) but more that she is an attractive female in a game store.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FantasiaWHT View Post
    Things we were "supposed" to ask every customer who walked in

-"Did you bring your trades with you today?"
    This one is my favorite. I could walk into the store wearing nothing but a tank top, flip-flops, and some teabag shorts and I'll still get asked that question even though it's obvious I'm not carrying anything. I know it's their job to ask, but for christ sake, allow let the employees to ask it at their own discretion instead making them look like morons to everyone that walks in.
    Last edited by norkusa; 04-29-2007 at 03:14 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa View Post
    This one is my favorite. I could walk into the store wearing nothing but a tank top, flip-flops, and some teabag shorts and I'll still get asked that question even though it's obvious I'm not carrying anything. I know it's their job to ask, but for christ sake, allow let the employees to ask it at their own discretion instead making them look like morons to everyone that walks in.
    I think the trick is that someone will say "Hu? I can trade in games? I'll remember that for next time."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the trick is that someone will say "Hu? I can trade in games? I'll remember that for next time."
    That was exactly why they implemented that policy, known as the "trade greeting". However, and thank goodness, it is now defunct. The employees are still supposed to inform all customers of the trade program while they visit the store, but not as a ridiculous greeting.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

The BB in my area will not hire you if you are not willing to lie to a customer to make a sale. It's right there on the application: "Will you lie to a customer to make a sale? Yes No". Circle No and they throw your application out.
    They probably stole the question from a used car salesman application ...
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Push Upstairs View Post
    I've heard Best Buy stories about the # of hours people being scheduled was affected by how well they "sold" things. Have shitty #'s when it comes to service plans? 4 hours for you.
    That's one advantage of working at an all-clothing store.

No stupid (and worthless) protection plans to sell. Makes for a more satisfying experience to not sell a customer a product you KNOW is worthless.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nature Boy View Post
    Every job has 'suggested selling' associated with it. "Do you want to upsize that combo?" is no different than "Do you want an Edge card?"
    Indeed. I was the assistant manager of a convenience store back in college, and I HATED "upselling." If someone came to the counter with anything, I was to suggest something they may want to purchase that would go well with whatever. If they bought deli meat, suggest potato salad or chip. If they brought a morning paper, suggest a cup of coffee, etc.

To combat this, I suggested a six pack of beer with ANY purchase.

"I see you're buying a bag of chips. How about a frosty beer to go with it?"

"I see you're buying a box of donuts. How about beer too? The Breakfast of Champions, I say."

"Hi little kid! That's a pack of gum and a Mad Magazine. Say, are you old enough to drink?"

My manager tried like hell to get me to take it seriously, but screw that. I was a minimum wage register jockey and I was not about to bust my hump for no extra pay just to increase the store's profit margin.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...