Thread: Removing sticky foil "VOID" labels from NES carts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Removing sticky foil "VOID" labels from NES carts

I couldn't find anything specifically related to this. So, what's the best way to get this crap off.
    Negative, negative! We have a Wildcat destabilization of the ship's fusion core!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lighter fluid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

BE CAREFUL WITH THIS!!

ok so like i have a little propane heater(like a small one for camping). anyways i heat the sticker up a little and then peel it off. sometimes it doesn't leave much stuff behind so its a little easier. otherwise just pull the sticker off and then rub the cart till the shit balls up and comes off.

i know this sounds hard and doesn't really make since, but think about it. when you find a dirt spot on your shoes what do you do? you rub it off.

im done and this is my 2 cents

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Goo be gone works well once you have peeled off as much as you can. If its not on the cart label its easiest to get off.

You can also use alcohol, just dont get it on the label, same with the lighter fluid. Goo-be-gone will remove some of the carts shiny label laminate but is much nicer to labels then alcohol or lighter fluid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

See the "removing sharpie ink from carts and cd's" thread slightly below this one

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

magic eraser will clean off the cart, I've never had that type of sticker on the cart label though, don't know if it will work on that...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Logicdustbin
    magic eraser will clean off the cart, I've never had that type of sticker on the cart label though, don't know if it will work on that...
    Yeah, I use Magic Eraser as well. Doesn't work so well on sticky stuff.
    Negative, negative! We have a Wildcat destabilization of the ship's fusion core!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This was just answered yesterday.
    See my reply to the "sharpie" question 3 threads below yours.

Two words:

Orange Waterless; it's an oil-based cleaner as opposed to a solvent. It won't soak into a label or discolor it like alcohol will.. but you have to wipe it off quickly.. being the secret. I've used it to remove sticker "goo" off of delicate stuff like manual covers and console boxes.

Remove the sticker first though with a hair dryer on medium heat. Peeling it off as SLOWLY, as you can stand; will keep most of the silver goo with the label. After that.. OW will clean up what's left.
    Last edited by scorch56; 04-05-2007 at 07:29 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can this stuff be found at local stores like Wal-Mart or something?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaJoey23 View Post
    Can this stuff be found at local stores like Wal-Mart or something?
    No.. Orange Waterless can only be bought online or found at your local janitorial products outlet. There are other orange-based cleaners (Fantastick makes one I think) but I can tell you from personal experience.. they don't even begin to work like this stuff.

Like I said.. it's kind of expensive as well (that small bottle pictured in the PDF link in the other thread would run about $20).. but it lasts forever. Don't let your mom or wife get ahold of it either.. it works great on everything.. they'll be using it everywhere before you know it.. and you will be buying more .

I really wished I had taken some "before" and "after" pictures of some of the CD and cart based games I've had in the past (as well as some console boxes). Some have been covered with SO many rental stickers underneath.. you couldn't tell WHAT they were.. except for that they WERE rentals. With soft-heat from a hair dryer and a samll spray bottle of this stuff.. I'm able to make carts like that indistinguishable from a "privately-owned" one. Believe me.. a permanent black marker on the back of a lt grey SNES cart is one of the hardest things in the world to remove. Due to the texture of the plastic.. using a Magic Eraser.. or even worse some light/fine sand paper can remove the marker.. but will also abrade the cart with tell-tale signs.. this stuff takes the ink right off and doesn't even damage the plastic.

The ONLY thing I've ever seen it semi-not work on was clear plastic of a CD jewel case. While it will remove marker and sticker goo.. occasionally it will "cloud" the clear plastic.. but this rarely happens and it's probably due to various components in the manufacturing. I've sprayed it on other clear cases and walked off for 5 minutes to come back and wipe off.. and found no damage whatsoever.

Like most kinds of chemical cleaners.. a minute "test patch" on anything will reveal problems.. plus once you start using it for.. and on.. everything.. you quickly get a feel for how and how long.. to expose anything to it.