Thread: Oversized Arcade Art Book (Supercade)

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Oversized Arcade Art Book (Supercade)

I am in search of even a reference to what I am thinking of. I saw this at Borders, sometime around 2004. It was an oversized book, almost like a coffee table book, with many pages. I think it was just pictures and descriptions of various arcade machines, but it could have included console games as well. I remember the price of the book being high ($50-$70) and unfortunately it's all I can remember. I have done searches in Google, Amazon, and Borders with no luck! I have seen it that one time, it was shrinkwrapped and I have never seen it again! Anyone have any ideas?

-GAC-
    #vbender

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gapporin

Just a shot in the dark, but High Score is shaped like a coffee table book, has around 400 pages, and includes pictures of arcade and console games. Maybe if it's not what you're looking for, it's along the same line.
    "I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gapporin View Post
    Just a shot in the dark, but High Score is shaped like a coffee table book, has around 400 pages, and includes pictures of arcade and console games. Maybe if it's not what you're looking for, it's along the same line.
    It's definitely not High Score, this had more pictures, and the book had pages that were larger than 8.5 X 11". It couldn't fit on the shelf properly, it was that big!
    #vbender

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

I have a book that fits that description. Take a look for Supercade. That may be what you're looking for.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's probably Supercade - I have it and it's very cool. I think I picked it up from Amazon for $25 or so.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by kaedesdisciple View Post
    I have a book that fits that description. Take a look for Supercade. That may be what you're looking for.
    THAT'S IT!!!! </Charlie Brown Yell>

Thanks so much! So what do you think of the book?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

#vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've had that book for a while too, great read, and tons of nice full page pictures.

Though it's more of a history book and less of an encyclopedia. There are actually very few pictures/descriptions of actual cabs.

Most photos are giant screenshots of games, and period pictures of ads, arcades things like that.

Still a really nice book though. I remember I lucked out and got my HC version for something like $15 shipped off Amazon years ago, looks like it's going for a bit more now though.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

a reviewer on amazon stated:

"I'm 33 and cut my teeth on Firetruck, Space Invaders, Asteroids, and Dkong. Having been involved with the Mame project for 6 years, which attempts to preserve arcade games through emulation, I'm always interested to read new books on this subject. Supercade caught my attention with its gaudy presentation and heft. It's a glossy collection of easily smudged pages with screenshots taken from Mame with rudimentary Photoshop filters applied along with some image skewing, and flyers and cabinets shots also from the collection/emulation community. Most of the screenshots are accompanied by short descriptions that could easily have come verbatim from Mame's history.dat file, originally compiled by Brian Deuel. One could also imagine the author going through Mame32's year folders one by one looking for tasty tidbits to present as one-offs or games not as mass produced as Pac-Man. Steven Kent's books do a better job burrowing into the stories behind these games and I enjoyed his writing style more than this author. All that said it does still have merit in that it nicely lumps all of this together in what could be described as a coffee table style art book. It may provide an accessible entry to the classic gaming genre for the newbie, but the hardcore will already have delved into other more mature offerings on the subject, including Mame itself which this book owes for much of its information"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

That looks sweet. I just ordered one for myself.

I also got the Stephen Kent book to go with it since I have the version when it was still called "The First Quarter" and it ended around the Dreamcasts release. I figure I could use the revised version.

Plus my original is beat up, bad.

Arcade Fever isn't too bad a book, either. Good pics, but not too great info. Plus the author has a deep hatred for Pooyan.
    Last edited by diskoboy; 04-21-2007 at 01:26 AM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by GrandAmChandler View Post
    THAT'S IT!!!! </Charlie Brown Yell>

Thanks so much! So what do you think of the book?
    Chandler you crazy fool. I've had that book for years and had an extra copy for trade for about a year. Let me know next time you're coming to the store I'll bring it.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ice View Post
    Chandler you crazy fool. I've had that book for years and had an extra copy for trade for about a year. Let me know next time you're coming to the store I'll bring it.
    Quote Originally Posted by stonic View Post
    Not only that, our own Joe (don't call me Joe) Santulli interviewed the author:

http://www.digitpress.com/library/in...n_burnham.html
    Where the fuck have I been?

/me looks for his mind that I lost.....
    #vbender