Thread: History of the NES in Europe

Insert Coin (Level 0) Centinela's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question History of the NES in Europe

hi

I would like to know something about the history and the distribution of the NES in several countries. I want to do a article of the markets of NES in Europe.

I would like to know the company that have sell the NES in each country, curiosities, features, price...

thanks for your help

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Centinela View Post
    hi

I would like to know something about the history and the distribution of the NES in several countries. I want to do a article of the markets of NES in Europe.

I would like to know the company that have sell the NES in each country, curiosities, features, price...

thanks for your help
    from what i remember it was distributed in the uk by the mattel toy company from 1987-1989 where distribution got taken over by a company called NESI who managed to increase the software catalogue greatly and create larger choice of games (something mattel failed at).... following that bandai then took over distribution of the nes from around early 1990-1992... 1993 onwards was nintendo uk entertainment LTD

i wouldnt be able to say about distribution for other regions in europe

if memory serves the price's for the many different nes sets in the uk:
    nes deluxe set £149.99 (zapper, duck hunt, gyromite and rob, two controls)
    nes standard £99.99 later £79.99 (super mario bros, 2 controls)
    nes ninja turtles set £99.99 (ninja turtles, 2 controls)
    nes challenge set £69.99 later £49.99 (super mario bros 3, 2 controls)
    nes super set £149.99 (super mario, tetris, nintendo world cup on one cart, 4 controls and a 4 player adaptor)
    nes action set £99.99 (duck hunt, super mario, zapper and 2 controls)

there was also another set released in small numbers featuring star wars in the box
    Last edited by bazariah; 04-17-2007 at 01:37 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here“s the story of the Nes in Spain:

The Nes launched here in 1987, with the games being distributed by the companies themselves, and the system by Spaco. Until about 1988, all games were released in small box (including Cobra Triangle, all black boxes games, Metroid, Kid Icarus, Rad Racer, and even SMB2). Then, Spaco started distributing most of the games (other companies continued to distribute some of their own games, though, like Capcom or Konami, with the games coming in English or even German, usually).

Due to their lazy distribution, great games like TMNT3, Super C, or Castlevania 3 weren“t released here, and games like Megaman 4 came out in 1991, 2 years after the USA release.

The system was neck to neck with the Master System, even though most people didn“t get a system after 1990, and, by that time, the Mega Drive (Genesis) was far more popular than the Nes.

The last games distributed by them were Tetris 2 (January 1996), Wario“s Woods (April 1996), and, as a special "goodbye gift", they released Tiny Toons 2 in January of 1997.
    Step Back! This is my blast shot!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Damon Plus View Post
    The last games distributed by them were Tetris 2 (January 1996), Wario“s Woods (April 1996), and, as a special "goodbye gift", they released Tiny Toons 2 in January of 1997.
    Wow, would that be the last licensed NES game released in the world, I wonder?

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here is some random info:

I think Sweden was the first country (atleast one of them) in Europe that got the NES. It was released there September 1986. Many countries in Europe used "PE xxxxxxx" as serial number on the NES and i've heard that PE 9000 something has been found in Sweden, which is a very low number. Highest ive seen is like PE 5600000 (5.6 million).

Bergsala was the publisher in Sweden when it came to Nintendo stuff. In Norway it was Unsaco, in Danemark it was Electronic Fun and in Finland it was Funente. Today Bergsala is in every of these countries.

It was also "common" to import games from other countries, print a small paper manual with the local language and sell it. Even the Bergsala did this with some games. They imported 9 games from Spain. It was done at the end of the NES era (1994), most likely to save money instead of printing up own games with SCN code (which was used for scandinavian NES games) and a manual in swedish/danish/finnish.

Spaco was the publisher in Spain. For a game to get the ESP code atleast 5000 copies had to made. This means that there are atleast 5000 copies of Rodland PAL-B out there.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheRedEye View Post
    Wow, would that be the last licensed NES game released in the world, I wonder?
    Afaik, the last licensed NES game that got its own code is Lion King SCN. It was released 25th May, 1995. I have never seen a spanish (ESP) release of Tetris 2, Wario's Wood and Tiny Toon 2, so i guess they were imported from other countries and they included a cheap paper manual instead. Else they are mega rare

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

According to NOE, 3. 5 Million NES sold in Europe by 1992.

Funny thing when NES was discounted to GBP 49.99, a game like Star Wars was still GBP 59.99 at HMV. $100 for a NES game, you gotta be kidding.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Centinela's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja View Post
    ...and Tiny Toon 2
    I can show you a copy of this game PAL-ESP, I know a person that have it.

Thanks for the info but I need Germany, Italy, Australia, Osterreich, holand, portugal and france.
    I would like the curiosity like: how was the publisher? what was the lenguage of manual?? think like this.

Thanks for the info, now I have the north and spain

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

The NES that was released in the Soviet Union was called the Famicommie.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Centinela View Post
    I can show you a copy of this game PAL-ESP, I know a person that have it.
    Damn, thats late! Learned something new today

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I believe the UK launch was around August/September 1987, within a month or so of the Master System (which was also distributed in other parts of Europe several months earlier).