Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jack Tompson might be after Microsoft after Virgina tech shooting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy View Post
    He was going on about how he prayed with his 14 year-old kid every morning, then almsot started crying, then spouted off his usual shit.
    Remember when there was that message board suicide thing a while back, and he (apparently) made some comment about tying his crusade in with the death of his sister-in-law?

I don't think he's really opportunistic. Perhaps there really have been one too many traumas in his life, or something in his upbringing, and he is genuinely paranoid and slightly off his nut.

(But then, I have also come to appreciate that he has ingrained himself ever so neatly into the minds of gamers - and thus the public in general - with those slights against Penny Arcade, VG Cats, etc.)

But now he's a self-described "School shooting expert".
    Seriously, what's up with that ? I like the part where he said the guy from Dawson "trained on Super Columbine Massacre". (Whatever other merits it may or may not have, no action depicted through RPG Maker is ever going bear more than a cursory resemblance to reality!)
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Thompson is officially after Microsoft

See: http://www.gamealmighty.com/story-in...Latest_Crusade

It his letter to Bill gates in the article.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What the hell?

Counter-Strike is Valve's property, Jack should get his facts straight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I knew the VA Tech masacre would once again put violent video games in the spot light. I also knew Jack Thompson would be quick to hop on his soap box and once again make an idiot of himself. How did this guy even become an lawyer? Do they just given degrees in the law field away where he's from? I was going to say Thompson shouldn't be allowed to breed but it turns out he's already got a kid. I mean, his son can't be the same bafoon his father is, right? Right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joker T View Post

Well, Jack is... he's... You know, its a lot easier to just say he's a freaking idiot.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I think Team Gates would eat Jack alive if he tried any legal action.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kainemaxwell View Post
    I think Team Gates would eat Jack alive if he tried any legal action.
    I doubt that would stop him. He's a fucking crazy jackass who doesn't know when he's beaten. If he did, he would've just given up on his mission to destroy gaming years ago, and focused mainly on personal injury suits.

Slightly off-topic, I read that Dr. Phil also unfairly blamed videogames for this tragedy. My sis loves him, but as far as I'm concerned, that fat-assed Bald Bull clone is dead to me.
    Gimmie a game, I'll either love it, or pimp-smack it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RegSNES View Post
    Well, Jack is... he's... You know, its a lot easier to just say he's a freaking idiot.
    True.

You'd just think he would do a little research ahead of time.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

What the hell?

Yes, but in lawsuits, you always go after the big guns first, since that's where the money is. If, no, *when* the court rules That MS is not at fault, then he will default to going after the smaller property, Valve.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Wolfgunblood Garopa's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by njiska View Post
    No you're just starting to realize that the right blames the individual, the left blames society and tries to smooth. Little Government, Big Government.
    That's the dumbest thing I've ever read on DP. Yes, dumber than Fighter17.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wish he would substantiate some of the claims he makes with solid facts. Half the time he just spews misinformation, and people believe him because he sounds confident in what he is saying. For example, if when he says the killers of the Columbine shooting "trained" on Doom translates to the fact that they owned and played a copy of perhaps the best selling video game of its time, then he would be correct. How can one train to do something like that with a copy of Doom? Same goes for his "killer trained on GTA: Vice City to lower his heart rate." Really Jack? Where is the proof? Honestly, when I'm kicked back in my easy chair, playing any GTA or any other violent video game my heart rate rarely gets above 60 (unless of course those damn dogs jump through the windows in Resident Evil), does that make me a cold blooded-killer? I highly doubt it, I still get sqeemish when I see blood in real life. Why doesn't he ever mention games like Medal of Honor/Call of Duty (I guess mowing down hordes of Nazis is alright with him), he seems fixated that GTA and now Counterstrike are the main culprits. I'm just going to end the rant here, as I could go on for a while, and honestly with this guy we are all .

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Quote Originally Posted by 7th lutz View Post
    I forget about that, but Sneak king came a year after the Killer stalked the girls.
    There's at LEAST two or three Japanese hentai games where you stalk girls. Biko 3 is one for sure: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biko_3

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shoes23 View Post
    I wish he would substantiate some of the claims he makes with solid facts. Half the time he just spews misinformation, and people believe him because he sounds confident in what he is saying. For example, if when he says the killers of the Columbine shooting "trained" on Doom translates to the fact that they owned and played a copy of perhaps the best selling video game of its time, then he would be correct. How can one train to do something like that with a copy of Doom?
    When I hear this nonsense I whip out the big guns....researched info.

600,000* people bought copies of the game "DOOM" (that is from stores and does not include "copies") TWO kids shoot up a school who happened to play a game that at least 599,998 other people played as well.

Its just not as hard hitting when you say "Well, less than 1% of Doom owners have become violent and shot up their school."

*thanks for the info PC GAMER!

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgunblood Garopa View Post
    That's the dumbest thing I've ever read on DP. Yes, dumber than Fighter17.
    Then you really are an uneducated idiot. You're also assuming the republican party is the definition of right wing politics which IS NOT TRUE. Try to move past the parties and look at the ideals of the poltical spectrum before accussing me of being an idiot. The Spectrum trancends parties, peoples and cultures.

What we're talking about here is Locus of Control. In the traditional political spectrum the left beleives a person's locus of control is more external. They're affected and driven by the things around them such as media and other aspects of culture. The right beleives that a person's locus of control is internal and that each man is drive by his own goals and desires and not by outside influences.

This can also be expanded to state that the right beleives anyone can acheive their dreams if they just work for it while the left beleives everyone must be helpped as much as possible.

Applied to this situation the locus of control model would be applied to Cho's actions. the left tradional would favour external influences and the right would beleive it was the inner workings.

Hencce we have the following brak down of anti-gaming politians. (Note: either publicly anti gaming, or sponsers of bills that are anti-gaming as listed on the GP Legislation tracker)

On the left:

Hilary Clinton (Federal) - Left
    Joe Lieberman (Federal) - Left
    Rep. Dickerson (Washington) - Left
    Assemblyman Leeland Yee (California) - Left
    Rep. Jim Ward (Kansas) - Left
    Rep. Mike Shelton (Oklahoma) - Left
    Rep. Roy Burrell (Louisiana) - Left
    Sen. Sandra Pappas (Minisota) - left
    Sen. Deanna DeMuzio (Illinios) - Left
    Rep. Linda Chapa LaVia (Illinios) - Left
    Gov. Rod Blagojevich (Illinios) - Left
    Sen. Vi Simpson (Indiana) - Left
    Sen. Hansen Clarke (Michigan) - Left
    Gov. Jennifer Granholm (Michigan) - Left
    State Sen. Doug Stoner (South Carolina) - Left
    Sen. Julia Boseman (North Carolina) - Left
    Senator Henry Marsh III (Virginia) - Left
    Del. Ross (Maryland) - Left
    Rep. Helene Keeley (Delaware) - Left
    Dave Mejias (New York, Nassua County) - Left
    Eliot Spitzer (New York, Pledged to legislate videogames) - Left
    Aurelia Greene (New York) - Left
    Keith Wright (New York) - Left

23 Politicians from 15 States not counting the Federal bill backers

On the right:
    Rep. Brain Kolb (New York) - Right
    Sens. Ciesla (New Jersey) - Right
    Rep. Wolfe (New Jersey) - Right
    Rep. Holzapfel (New Jersey) - Right
    Sen. Sam Brownback (Federal) - Right
    Del. Kach (Maryland) - Right
    Sen. David Ford (Indiana) - Right
    Sen. James David Cain (Louisiana) - Right
    Rep. Jeff Johnson (Minnisota) - Right
    Rep. Hodge (Utah) - Right
    Rep. Wyatt (Utah)- Right
    Rep. Fred Morgan (Oklahoma) - Right

12 Politicains from 8 States not counting federal bill backers

So there you go:
    - Also most twice as many leftists support videogame legislation as the right.
    - Most more blue states have propsed legislation then red states and the largest concentration is in the North East a traditionally left region.

And now i'd like to apologize to everyone for the Anthony1 length post i just made.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Wolfgunblood Garopa's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@njiska

I should know better but I'll give it a go anyways:

Leo Strauss.

His teachings have been the philosophical center of the right's policies for at least the past 30 years. The crux of his political philosophy: Carefree, decadent society is to blame for all of America's troubles and must be controlled through coersion and deception with religion, nationalism and perpetual war...

A core principle of the right is to have a strong central government which in effect must act as the father figure to an immoral and out of control, carefree society (it's children). This is basic stuff here.

The analogy of the father in perspective of the two political sides:

The right would be a strict, controlling father- one who would closely monitor and censor outside influences, as the right believes that the child is innately immoral and irresponsible without the father's guidance and control.

The left would be an understanding father- one who would be open and helpful, trusting that the child is smart and moral enough to understand what is good or bad for them.

Now, there will always be anomalies but this is a widely accepted analogy to differentiate the two ideologies.

Quote Originally Posted by njiska View Post
    the right beleives anyone can acheive their dreams if they just work for it while the left beleives everyone must be helpped as much as possible.
    Both ideologies believe in the first part obviously, but the second part, yes the left would use the government to help when necessary (re: the father analogy).

You may want to read a few books or at least take a politics 101 class before you jump on the internets to pontificate- you may run into someone who actually knows what they're talking about. If your point was that there are more on the left who support that legislation and your info is correct, well then yes... but that is not indicative of the big picture. There are many politicians who are moving to the center on some hot button issues, it's just the nature of the current political landscape.