Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Gamecube was disappointing?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm Biohazard is not really "psychological thriller" it is more about survival skills, mutated monsters and the underlying message or theme seems to be that man gets corrupted and should not play with science when he has no ethics. They do throw in some mental scares also.....lisa trevor is quite disturbing on many levels, turn off the lights, crank up the sound and play remake in the dark, it is not exactly happy happy at that point.

Having played Clock Tower 3 yea it is a psychological thriller and that game is VERY disturbing in some areas, there is a boss who you see smash a 14 year old girls head in and throw her body down the stairs like a rag doll on xmas, however the graphics are poor in some areas like the spirits look way too blocky and take away in some areas.

I'm just wondering, what games did you consider "quality" on the n64 and cube?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It was dissapointing to me(and my brother). In my eyes the GC had Luigi's Mansion and thats it. I loved NES/SNES/N64 from Nintendo and the Gamecube was a major dissapointment and don't even get me started on the Wii. The Wii has all the crappiness of a Gamecube with an added queer control sceme.

Seems to me that as soon as Nintendo went with cd games, shit started to roll downhill.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Jaye View Post
    Eternal Darkness.

'nuff said.
    Agreed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On the Nintendo 64, my friends and I had a lot of fun playing Super Mario 64, Wave Race 64, Bust a Move 99, Mario Golf, Perfect Dark, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, StarFox 64, Mario Party, 1080 Snowboarding, Diddy Kong Racing, Mario Kart 64, Pokemon Snap, Mischief Makers, Mortal Kombat 4, Pokemon Puzzle League, Conker's Bad fur Day, etc.

On the Game Cube, my friends and I had a lot of fun playing Mario Kart: Double Dash!!, Beach Spikers, Wave Race: Blue Storm, Super Monkey Ball, Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes, Resident Evil 4, Mario Golf, Burnout 2, WarioWare Inc., Soul Calibur 2, Mario Party, Donkey Konga, etc.

I think what happened is that the Nintendo 64 was released during a more exciting period in video gaming. A lot of transition was going on...the 3DO and Jaguar flopped, but the Genesis and SNES were getting old. The 3DO and Jaguar were experimenting with 3D graphics, even more than the SNES, but they didn't have the popular franchises. People wanted something new, but they wanted it to be affordable and from a popular, established company...thus, from 1996 to 2000, the competition between Sega, Nintendo, and newcomer Sony was watched closely and with much enthusiasm.

Overall, both the Nintendo 64 and Game Cube had a bunch of great games and the graphics on both really impressed me. Some Nintendo 64 games still look good to this day...and to those people who insist the Xbox had the best graphics of its generation, I suggest they play StarFox Adventures, Wave Race: Blue Storm, Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, and Star Wars Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike on the GameCube.

By the way, I never understood why the Nintendo 64 and the Game Cube were labeled "kiddie" by people who owned PlayStation or Playstation 2. The way I saw it, Nintendo and Sony both had mature/violent games as well as cartoony games. Besides, I don't remember the Nintendo 64 ever having a Spice Girls, Flintstones, or Teletubbies video game.
    Last edited by Rob2600; 04-21-2007 at 07:23 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

MGSTS was a travesty. A deliberate buchering of an otherwise perfect ps1 game. Sure, the graphics were better, but you can't get involved with the characters like the ps1 version.

Eternal Darkness is probably the only reason I haven't ditched my GC yet.
    Just because I want to smell your poop, and taste your poop, doesn't mean I should have to pay for the privilege. I download whatever I want! For FREE!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I purchased my gamecube in 2003, before i got my ps2. Though since then, i have amassed a great collection of titles, 0 of which belong to the 'cube, many of these ps2 games were ones that I had owned a copy of for the gamecube. Im saying this to say that I consider the cube a very fond memory, and for the time that I owned one, I enjoyed it, and after so wished well for it. And even now when I play my ps2, I still reminisce about the good times that we had, I will always cherish the good times we enjoyed in that relationship...wait...oh...awk-ward!!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Master Chu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Save for only a few titles, N64 was bleh for me...
    Cube was FAR AND AWAY superior to 64, but not at all to NES & SNES IMO. The games on those systems became more and more innovative everytime you turned around.

I can give GC quite a few props...

The biggie being the THPS series, which i have loved the hell out of ever since it's debut. As well as...

Mario Golf
    Metroid Prime 1 and 2
    All of the RE's
    Tiger Woods '03 and up
    Melee
    and quite a friggin' few more...

I'll have a spot in my heart for the GC, 64 can continue to rot in hell...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 200609 View Post
    MGSTS was a travesty. A deliberate buchering of an otherwise perfect ps1 game. Sure, the graphics were better, but you can't get involved with the characters like the ps1 version.

Eternal Darkness is probably the only reason I haven't ditched my GC yet.
    I disagree. I enjoyed Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes for the Game Cube. Some of the cut scenes went on a little long, but I thought the game was well-produced. For what it's worth, it received an 8.7 press score and an 8.5 gamer score on Gamestats.com.

Am I the only one who thinks the small Game Cube discs are really cool? Who cares if they don't hold as much as DVDs? They still hold 1.5 GB, which is plenty of storage for most games...and those games that need more can be stored on multiple discs.
    Last edited by Rob2600; 04-21-2007 at 08:54 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I loved the litte discs Rob2600!

It adds to the appeal...the whole system was physically very neat looking. Very sturdy, very portable.

I'd feel very uneasy moving the Wii around --- looks too fragile, like an iPod.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ShenmueFan View Post
    I loved the little discs Rob2600!

It adds to the appeal...the whole system was physically very neat looking. Very sturdy, very portable.

I'd feel very uneasy moving the Wii around --- looks too fragile, like an iPod.
    Thanks! Throughout the last few decades, disks, disk drives, and cartridges have gotten smaller, so the small Game Cube discs seem more futuristic and innovative to me.

My younger brother received a Wii for Christmas. We hooked it up and played it for many hours while I was visiting my family. It looks delicate, but is actually quite solid and sturdy. It is light without being flimsy or fragile.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kaedesdisciple View Post
    You don't like RE and you don't like puzzles, yet you enjoyed an N64 port of RE2? Dude, your viewpoints are confusing. Pick one and stick with it.
    Not at all. I liked RE2 (any console... doesn't matter which version). I didn't like the rest, because they were inferior. That's consistent. It's equivalent to saying, "I liked Empire Strikes Back, but the other movies were poor/boring."

re: Gamecube discs:

I've got a lot of CD-singles (3") dating from the early 90s. So the Gamecube discs were nothing special to me. They just looked like tiny CDs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    I'm just wondering, what games did you consider "quality" on the gamecube and N64?
    GAMECUBE
    --------
    Animal Crossing 1 (boring)
    Eternal Darkness (GREAT STORY/EFFECTS, SCARY ATMOSPHERE)
    Fzero GX (GREAT RACER BY SEGA)
    LOZ - Wind Waker (dull story, dull game, too long)
    Metroid Prime 1 (GREAT BOSSES AND FIRST-PERSON EXPLORATION)
    Paper Mario 2 - Thousand Year Door (dull battles, story, music)
    Resident Evil 0 (okay game but not scary/dull story)
    Skies of Arcadia Legends (SO-SO STORY, FUN BATTLES, GREAT MUSIC)
    Star Wars Rogue Squadron 2 (way too hard and repetitive)
    Starfox Adventures (blah story and blah gamepaly)
    Super Mario Sunshine (too repetitive/linear, washing stuff is not fun)
    Super Smash Bros Melee (1-player is not fun)
    Tales of Synphonia (okay story but it stretches far too long - quit out of boredom)

N64
    ---
    Banjo-Kazooie (MASTERPIECE PLATFORMER, HUMOROUS, CHALLENGING)
    Banjo-Tooie (DITTO)
    Beetle Adventure Racing (FUN AND FUNNY)
    Castlevania 64 (blah)
    Conkurs Bad Fur Day (FUN)
    Diddy Kong Racing (SUPERIOR VERSION OF MARIO KART)
    F-zero X (GREAT RACER)
    Goldeneye 007 (GREAT SHOOTER AND STORY)
    LOZ - Ocarina of Time (MASTERPIECE - GREAT STORY)
    LOZ - Majora's Mask (GOOD)
    Mario Golf (MAKES SPORTS FUN AGAIN)
    Mario Kart 64 (GREAT TRANSITION TO 3D)
    Ms. Pac-Man Maze Madness (SURPRISINGLY GOOD PUZZLER)
    Paper Mario 1 (dull battles, story, music)
    Perfect Dark (EXCELLENT)
    Resident Evil 2 (BEST STORY; BEST GAMEPLAY OF A MEDIOCRE SERIES)
    Super Mario 64 (GREAT PLATFORMER, CHALLENGING, FUN)
    Super Smash Bros (GREAT FIGHTING GAME)
    Turok 2 Seeds of Rage (tedious)
    Last edited by veronica_marsfan; 04-24-2007 at 05:08 AM.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hated the Banjo games and Diddy Kong racing...... Conkers Bad Fur Day was pretty good though....

Diddy Kong racing is in no way better than Mario Kart 64 imho

SSB is not that great single player either
    Go, go Ackman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Veronica_marsfan, are you trying to somehow merge two threads discussing two separate systems into one argument? You posted the exact same thing in the N64 thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by veronica_marsfan View Post
    re: Gamecube discs:

I've got a lot of CD-singles (3") dating from the early 90s. So the Gamecube discs were nothing special to me. They just looked like tiny CDs.
    Yes, Game Cube discs look like mini CDs, but they hold over seven times the amount of data (1.5 GB vs. 210 MB). That's why I think they're cool and innovative.
    Last edited by Rob2600; 04-24-2007 at 10:32 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Also in response to veronica_marsfan:

GAMECUBE
    --------
    The graphics and speed are impressive, but sometimes the racing is a bit *too* fast, which can make the game too chaotic and challenging.

This game turned out much better than I thought it would. It's impressive, but not one of my favorites. I don't like tons of exploration in first-person shooters. A little bit is okay, but I prefer FPS levels that are somewhat more streamlined.

Resident Evil 0 (okay game but not scary/dull story)
    Great graphics, but the old-style Resident Evil controls are useless. The characters move like the tanks in Combat for Atari 2600. The improved control in RE2 for N64 made a huge difference.

Star Wars Rogue Squadron 2 (way too hard and repetitive)
    Great graphics and sound...technically impressive (especially for a launch title), but the game play is for hard core fans only.

Starfox Adventures (blah story and blah gamepaly)
    Great graphics, decent game play. If Nintendo stops having third-parties make new StarFox games, they just might be able to top StarFox 64.

N64
    ---
    The Banjo games have great graphics and high production value, the dialog is fun and the control is great, but the game play is only decent. They're like virtual scavenger hunts. A video game should be fresh and exciting, not a series of chores. Still, the Banjo games are above average compared to most of the garbage out there.

Beetle Adventure Racing (FUN AND FUNNY)
    Great graphics and lots of shortcuts, but sometimes the tracks are a bit too long. It's a fun game though.

Castlevania 64 (blah)
    Overall, I enjoyed Castlevania 64. The music and graphics were good (some spots better than others) and a few parts of the game were creepy. It's not a classic, but it's not as bad as some people exaggerate. (Super Castlevania IV is my favorite in the series.)

Conkurs Bad Fur Day (FUN)
    Great graphics and sound, very high production value. Some creative stages, too. It's a fun game...one of the most impressive N64 games.

Diddy Kong Racing (SUPERIOR VERSION OF MARIO KART)
    DKR improves on MK64 in some ways, but is a bit too ambitious, deep, and challenging for its own good. In MK64, the player competes in one race after another, but in DKR, the player has to drive around the overworld and explore. I suppose that could be a good idea, but I would have preferred if DKR were just a straight-up arcade racing game. Having the different vehicles is nice...so is the addition of boss races, but most of the silver coin challenges are far too difficult.

F-zero X (GREAT RACER)
    Very intense and fast...30 cars on the screen at the same time with no slow-down! Simple graphics, but in a way, it adds to the sleek, futuristic theme of the game.

LOZ - Ocarina of Time (MASTERPIECE - GREAT STORY)
    I agree, a masterpiece. I really enjoyed how music was incorporated into the game.

LOZ - Majora's Mask (GOOD)
    I agree, it's a good game, but Ocarina of Time was so good that I couldn't really get into another Legend of Zelda game for a while. The three-day concept was interesting, but I needed something more.

Mario Golf (MAKES SPORTS FUN AGAIN)
    Excellent game. Lots of fun and great graphics.

Mario Kart 64 (GREAT TRANSITION TO 3D)
    I agree. I had a lot of fun with MK64. I always thought it was an improvement over Super Mario Kart.

Perfect Dark (EXCELLENT)
    Great graphics and sound, high production value, intense game play...one of the best.

I thought it was great how after all the N64 bashing at the time, it ends up that one N64 cartridge could out-perform two PlayStation CD-ROMs...higher-resolution graphics, surround sound, vastly improved controls, and tons of FMV. I never understood why Capcom didn't use the same control scheme in Code: Veronica for Dreamcast or in the Game Cube ports.

Innovative, polished, and fun...good graphics, large levels, and no loading time. A masterpiece and a classic.

Super Smash Bros (GREAT FIGHTING GAME)
    I never got into the SSB series because I hate using an analog stick to play fighting games. Most people seem to think they're fun games though.

Turok 2 Seeds of Rage (tedious)
    Excellent high-resolution graphics, but the game didn't pull me in like Perfect Dark did and there was too much exploration. Turok 3 was a huge improvement in pacing and game play (and frame rate), but by then, nobody cared.
    Last edited by Rob2600; 04-24-2007 at 11:01 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    I thought it was great how after all the N64 bashing at the time, it ends up that one N64 cartridge could out-perform two PlayStation CD-ROMs...higher-resolution graphics, surround sound, vastly improved controls, and tons of FMV. I never understood why Capcom didn't use the same control scheme in Code: Veronica for Dreamcast or in the Game Cube ports.
    This one proves the N64 could have done a great version of either Resident Evil or Resident Evil 3.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I am admittedly a much bigger fan of the N64 than the average gamer, which can be chalked up both to the fact that I had it from launch (the ONLY system I've gotten on launch day) and I've been exposed to a large assortment of titles by buying a whole bunch real cheap over the years. I find most people who hate on the N64 are just ignorant of it. Some haven't spent long enough with it to even understand how the controller is supposed to be used. o_O But mainly, most people say the system doesn't have many worthwhile titles because they plain haven't played many worthwhile titles because they haven't played many titles period (that sounds wonky, but I'm making a point here :P).

So, really, I could say the GameCube is disappointing to me in comparison to the N64, but I don't want to make the same mistake others make with the N64, since I would have to claim ignorance on the GameCube for the most part. I haven't really taken a shining to the GameCube controller (and I actually love the N64 controller, despite some small flaws with it), and I only own a little over 20 titles for the GameCube. I've actually put significant time into or beaten far fewer. So far, the only GameCube games that I've beaten are Baten Kaitos and Pikmin (enjoying both very much), and while there are some others that I've enjoyed but not bothered to complete, there are also several more that were just "meh". Most often, I prefer the N64 versions of games that got sequels on GameCube. Take F-Zero, for example - the N64 game is so tight and perfect; it's a real man's racer. GX, however, is way more of an "arcade" racer. Sure, it's pretty, but the vehicles move all slippery and sloppy. I just can't get into it at all (and I HATE the garbage techno music, especially in comparison to the awesome butt rock of F-Zero X).

When I look at my favorite games on N64, there's just nothing on GameCube that can touch them. One of my very top faves, Goemon's Great Adventure, is the best game in the whole Goemon series if you ask me, but GameCube doesn't have a single Goemon title, while N64 has two great ones (three if you count the party game that only came out in Japan). Wonder Project J2 is another favorite, and if I want anything like that, I have to go to the not-as-good Super Famicom original. Super Mario 64 is, of course, fantastic, and beats the pants off of Sunshine, and as I already expressed, F-Zero X destroys GX. And just so I don't get carried away and write about every other N64 game I enjoy, I'll just make a list of everything else (of what I own) I think is AT LEAST pretty good if not great:

1080° Snowboarding
    Banjo-Tooie
    Beetle Adventure Racing!
    Blast Corps
    Bomberman 64 (2D Japanese exclusive)
    Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness
    Custom Robo (JAP)
    Diddy Kong Racing
    Donkey Kong 64
    Dr. Mario 64
    Excitebike 64
    Getter Love!! (Japanese dating sim party game)
    GoldenEye 007
    Harvest Moon 64
    Hybrid Heaven
    Jet Force Gemini
    Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
    Lode Runner 3-D
    Mario Kart 64
    Mischief Makers
    Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon
    Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber
    Paper Mario
    Perfect Dark
    Robotron 64
    Sin and Punishment (brilliant Treasure-developed Japanese exclusive)
    Space Station Silicon Valley
    Star Fox 64
    Star Soldier: Vanishing Earth
    Super Mario 64
    The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
    The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    Wave Race 64
    Wetrix

Quite a lot worth playing, I think, and there are many more titles I still need to get (which I'm sure is apparent, since I lack Banjo Kazooie, Conker, Mario Party/Tennis/Golf, etc.)

As for the GameCube, I'm sure I'll warm up to it more as I pick up games dirt cheap in coming years and make more time to play it. As of this moment, though, I can't even think of as many GameCube games I'd like to get as how many N64 games I've listed above.

In the end, though, the NES and SNES destroy both the N64 AND the GameCube COMBINED. :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think you have hit the nail on the head. The Gamecube was FAR from disappointing, but one would really have to expose one's self to much more of the line up than most people probably will. I was hardcore collecting this system not too long ago, and got to around 100 or so titles. When you get to that point, that variety, and experience the quality of many of those games is where you can see how very good the system really is.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, Game Cube discs look like mini CDs, but they hold over seven times the amount of data (1.5 GB vs. 210 MB). That's why I think they're cool and innovative.
    Umm... okay. DVDs have held 8.5 gig since 1995.

The 2001 Cube disc is just a one-layer 3-inch DVD. Nothing amazing about that.

(shrug). To each his own.
    Last edited by veronica_marsfan; 04-25-2007 at 04:27 AM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The graphics and speed are impressive, but sometimes the racing is a bit *too* fast, which can make the game too chaotic and challenging.
    That was one flaw. It was definitely a fun game, but I hit a peak on level 2 and could not get past it. So after about a year of frustration, I sold the game & went back to Fzero N64.
    F-zero N64 (GREAT RACER)
    Very intense and fast...30 cars on the screen at the same time with no slow-down! Simple graphics, but in a way, it adds to the sleek, futuristic theme of the game.

This game turned out much better than I thought it would. It's impressive, but not one of my favorites. I don't like tons of exploration in first-person shooters.
    Ahhh, false expectations. Metroid Prime is not a FPS. It's like Super Metroid: A third-person adventure, but moved into the first-person viewpoint. ----- In fact, you can play both Super Metroid and Prime, and (almost) never fire your gun. Just run straight past the enemies. Because they are not shooters. They are adventures/hide-n-seek games.

If you knew ahead of time that you did not like Super
    Metroid's exploration/adventure aspects, then you'd
    know you would not like Metroid Prime's exploration/adventure
    either. MP is Super Metroid in first-person viewpoint.

Innovative, polished, and fun...good graphics, large levels, and no loading time. A masterpiece and a classic.

The Banjo games have great graphics and high production value, the dialog is fun and the control is great, but the game play is only decent. They're like virtual scavenger hunts.
    Yes and no. In Mario 64 you usually had a goal like "Find all 7 blue coins", and it didn't take long to find & collect 7 blue coins. It was fun & exhilarating not tedious. ----- Banjo-Kazooie had the same setup. It was a test of skills to jump & flip over obstacles to reach that final, 7th mambo skull, and I love testing my skills. ----- Banjo was not really any different than Mario64's approach.

Me neither. It seems stupid that a Gamecube sequel would have worse controls (drive like a tank) than the N64 version (point in the direction you want to go). The Cube is supposed to be more-advanced not less.

As for other RE ports, it was too expensive. RE2 used a 64 megabyte cartridge which cost a LOT of money. (For comparison the Zeldas used 32 megabytes and Mario64 used 8.) That's why using cartridges was a mistake on Nintendo's design; CDs were cheaper.
    Last edited by veronica_marsfan; 04-25-2007 at 06:13 AM.