Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xenogears

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Xenogears

I picked up Xenosaga last week, but instead of putting the game in and playing it, I borrowed Xenogears from my roomate and started playing it instead. So far I'm really enjoying the game, and the PS2's texture smoothing really helps this game out a bunch.

Anyone else playing Xenogears in order to get ready for Xenosaga, or just catching up? The point in the game that I'm at right now: Fei's in the fighting tournament while Bart looks for his cousin in Aveh.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Fluke, that's a fun part of gears! Remember when you gotta fight Dan, just let him beat up on you to get the Wedding Dress item.

Gear is episode 5 of the whole Xenosaga but according to namco, Gears never happened.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

SPOILER

Yea, but near the end of the game, you see a flashback of Fei.
    Looking to sell a videogame magazine collection of 200(+) magazines, 60 cents each, send me a PM if you're interested!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I finished Xenogears years ago, but I'm planning on checking it out again after I'm done with Xenosaga, just to see if I can pick out all of the references that link the two games.

Yet it's hard to say how closely they relate to each other. Whether due to legal issues or the designer's own intentions, Xenosaga is the first part of a remake of the entire storyline that included Xenogears. Series creator Tetsuya Takahashi supposedly wanted to start the whole thing over, and he's remarked in interviews that Xenogears doesn't really follow Xenosaga. Confusing, yes, but so are the games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Yes...very confusing...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played it for a bit tonight, and I've rescued margie, and am behind kislev borders. The game is holding up remarkably well graphics-wise thatnks to the texture smooting of the PS2. I was hoping to beat this game before spring break was over, but ast it is, I'm only about 7 hours into it. curses!

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never really noticed much of a difference between playing it on the PS1 and the PS2. Guess I'm just oblivious.

Remember, pay attention! I did't the first time through, so I've had to play it through several times just to get the storyline . The Nisan Sanctuary website has some nice explanations, but it's chock full of spoilers, so don't go there yet.

Some advice: Switch between characters a lot. The game keeps their levels up automatically, but it pays to keep everyone's deathblows up to date. Except for Elly. She'll always suck and you don't have to use her much, so don't bother.

Oh, and try to stay away from spoilers, (if it's even possible these days ) since there's some very neat surprises along the way that are better if they haven't been ruined for you.

Of course, I played very badly my first time through, so by the end I was so wussy that the boss, who really isn't that hard, whooped me. Then I gave up. So I went all the way through again to prepare for Xenosaga.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Fluke, don't expect to beat Gears anytime soon..you'll likely fall asleep later in the game when the dialogue drags on (I really wish there was a faster scrolling option).

Daphne, my characters were kinda wussy too..and I didn't really learn about and using Deathblows till the Sewer creature problem..so I started building everyone's Deathblows and levels up then.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really really really really really realllllllllllly want to get xenosaga, but the opening video is 40 minutes long!! I wouldnt be able to take it. That is the only flaw against it i heard.
    Somebody once told me to get a life.

I told them I sold it for money to buy video games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you have a Gameshark, Kaine, you can use a code to speed up the text.

http://terror.snm-hgkz.ch/mirrors/ww...0104/n01i.html

And yes, Xenogears requires a huge investment of time. I think I spent about 55 hours on it my first time through.
    Kidfenris.com: Never Updated.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I spit on your RPG foolishness.

Also, I'm recalling that texture smoothing of PS1 games is an option that you have to enable in one of the PS2 menus when you power the system on. The default is to not have texture smoothing.
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dahne
    I never really noticed much of a difference between playing it on the PS1 and the PS2.
    I accidentally turned on xenogears without the texture smoothing (does anyone know how to set the PS2 so it defaults to fast discread/smoothing? I heard you can but can't remember how), and the game looked completely different. The environments benefit, but the difference between the look of the characters is incredible. They always look like they're just slightly out of focus, but they look way better than they did on the PSX. The only person I've had issues with graphics wise is Bart, whose face looks a little odd.

And so far, I haven't heard anything regarding spoilers about the game. I literally know nothing of what's going to happen, and I'm pretty thankful for that. I did hear one thing that maybe you guys can clear up for me. I heard that if you don't do something right early in the game, it will make it unbeatable and you have to start over. Is this true?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I'm up to 42 hrs in game time and going through the dreaded Babel Tower now.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First thing: Dahne. Not Daphne. I do not solve mysteries with a dog and a stoner, thank you very much. :P

Second thing: If a 40-minute intro scares you off, then believe me, Xenosaga is NOT for you. It's basically an anime series with some bits of game thrown in. I'm enjoying it immensely, but it's easy to see how some people wouldn't.

Last thing: I haven't heard anything about messing up early in the game, fluke. Could be it exists, but if it does it must be pretty dang rare.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by Dahne
    First thing: Dahne. Not Daphne. I do not solve mysteries with a dog and a stoner, thank you very much. :P...
    ! dahne- ya oww mi a nw kwybwd- i was dwinking hot tww whn i saw that wispons, and now som lwttws don't wk!...

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mua ha ha! My vendetta against clean keyboards is satisfied!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GENESISNES
    I really really really really really realllllllllllly Wanting To get xenosaga, but the opening video is 40 minutes long!! I wouldnt be able to take it. That is the only flaw against it i heard.
    Though there are some cinematic bits that border on an hour in length, the opening sequence isn't that long --you're exploring an area and getting into refreshingly non-random battles within fifteen minutes or so.

And despite the talk of it being more movie than game, Xenosaga's gameplay seems to outnumber its cutscenes. For every cumulative hour that I've spent watching the story develop, I've lost about twice as much time to battles and dungeon navigation. Xenosaga is still very much a console RPG, albeit one with more plot details and exposition than any other I could name.

My big complaint about Xenosaga, however, is the lip sync. It's not as poorly matched as the animated parts of Xenogears, but sometimes the characters' mouths move long after they're done talking, tempting me to crack wise about how "the monster called Gamera is destroying the city, huh?"

Fluke: There are a few secrets that you can only unlock by doing something early in the game, but they're really just cute bonuses that don't affect play.
    Kidfenris.com: Never Updated.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I had planned on playing the game a little bit more today when I got home from work, but instead found this on my doorstep:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...014061069&rd=1

This was the first time I'd ever played the game, and I really dig it. It just might be fighting with xenogears for play time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Nice buy! I'm thinking of trying Dance Maniax today myself.

But backon topic, trust me, as you get deeper into Xenogears the stroy'll get more puzzling and you'll want to keep playing to figure out what the HFIL's going on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Fluke, where ya at in Gears now? trust me when I saw this- the Babel Tower will be a pain in the ass and not because of the enemies there...