Thread: Wii component video problem (no blue)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Wii component video problem (no blue)

I recently got a Wii component video cable (non-official), and tried it on my Wii. Unfortunately, I get no color blue. Normally I would suspect a bad cable or connection, but I have mostly ruled those out. All other component devices work on the same inputs on my TV. I found the pin on the connector that outputs blue, and tested the continuity between that and the RCA jack, and it seemed fine. I also tried bending the pin up a bit to make sure it gets a connection, but that was no help. I also tried wiggling connectors. I am suspecting that the Wii will not output blue (Pb) for some strange reason. I have previously used this Wii with other component video cables and it worked fine. If I had an oscilloscope I would test the pin but I don't have one. I even tried enabling and disabling 480p to see if that would change anything (I am using a non-HD TV). I am curious if there is any good reason why the Wii would stop outputing blue, and if there is an easy way to fix it, preferably without opening the console and voiding a warranty.
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600
    Game Collection -- Game Commercials -- Favorite Game: Secret of Mana
    Wii code: 2572 7867 9177 9866 Smash: 0259-0110-4026

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is the cable (blue) continuous for both the blue signal and ground? All you need is one missing, for the blue to cut out.

If that's not it, it could be your Wii. However, since you are testing with a third party cable, the weak link in your test is the cable. Third parety cables offer the same video quality in most cases, but I know for a fact from testing they have higher fail rates, and can fail more easily than first party ones seem to.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, I am pretty sure I tested the ground as well. In this cable all three video grounds came from the same pin. I am going to bring the cable over to a friend's house today and test it.
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, I tried the cable on a different Wii and it had the same problem. So the problem pretty much has to be the cable. Furthermore, I made sure the blue signal was not shorted to any of the grounds. Basically, the only explaination I can think of is that the pin in the connector is not touching, but when looking into it I cannot tell why.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

After my second attempt at bending the pins, I was successful, so it seems to have been the cable's fault after all.