Thread: Methods for backing up PS1 game saves to a computer

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Methods for backing up PS1 game saves to a computer

I was wondering if there were any cheap ways to backup ps1 game saves to a computer? I know of the dex drive and this mod on gamesx.com. I have that max drive thing, but that appears to only be good for ps2 stuff. Is there anyway to just transfer ps1 save to a usb flash drive,floppy drive, or hard drive?
    Last edited by erehwon; 04-21-2007 at 10:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well, that depends.

There was the floppy disc drive for the PSX, but it was slow as shit and each floppy was only the size of a memory card.

However, if you have a PS2, you actually have a nice size backup area already;

A PS2 Memory Card.

Though you can not save *to* the PS2 memory card, in the PS2 browser you can transfer saves from the PS1 card to the PS2 card as if it were a usb device. I have a spare PS2 memory card I use specifically for PS1 save storage.

Jason

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerboy View Post
    Well, that depends.

There was the floppy disc drive for the PSX, but it was slow as shit and each floppy was only the size of a memory card.

However, if you have a PS2, you actually have a nice size backup area already;

A PS2 Memory Card.

Though you can not save *to* the PS2 memory card, in the PS2 browser you can transfer saves from the PS1 card to the PS2 card as if it were a usb device. I have a spare PS2 memory card I use specifically for PS1 save storage.

Jason
    I know about being able to back up the ps1 saves to ps2 cards. The thing I was wanting to do is to backup the game saves and be able to transfer them to my computer. I have a rather expensive ps1 game with a bad disc 2, so I'm going to play a backup of disc 2 on a ps1 emulator. I just need that game save. I don't want to have to start this rpg over again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

why not just spend $2 and get the disc resurfaced? Or is it cracked?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerboy View Post
    why not just spend $2 and get the disc resurfaced? Or is it cracked?
    I've already tried that. I didn't work. I then thought to try the test where you hold the disk up against a light. I could see light shining through two little pin prick sized holes. The disk resurfacing wouldn't have helped that and I don't think there is anything I can do about that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You could "softmod" a PS2 and install uLaunch. Through the filesystem of that, you can copy the contents of your memory card to a USB flash drive (which is how I recently backed up all of my saves).

If you already have the Max Drive thing then you should be set. Just build an exploited save file, throw it on your PS2 memory card, and trigger it with a PS1 game.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    You could "softmod" a PS2 and install uLaunch. Through the filesystem of that, you can copy the contents of your memory card to a USB flash drive (which is how I recently backed up all of my saves).

If you already have the Max Drive thing then you should be set. Just build an exploited save file, throw it on your PS2 memory card, and trigger it with a PS1 game.
    I never heard of softmoding a ps2 before. I'll look into that. I just wonder if that technique will work on a slim ps2?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Softmodding doesn't work on a slim ps2, only the large models. It might be easier to get a modded ps1 or ps2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shadowkn55 View Post
    Softmodding doesn't work on a slim ps2, only the large models. It might be easier to get a modded ps1 or ps2.
    I'm pretty sure the slim ones can still use uLaunchELF but are limited in that there is no place to hook up the hard drive (without going a little crazy with the mod). If all he's wanting to do is transfer save files then the slim should do him just fine.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So with that uLaunchELF, can I transfer ps1 saves to a usb thumb drive? If I can just get that save file, I can just finish this game off on an emulator. I do have a ps1 with a modchip, but it appears to have a bad lens. I haven't been able to find a cheap replacement, which is why I'm going with the emulator solution. I was looking at ps2 modchips at console source, but I don't know if any of their sub-$20 chips are any good. I'm only interested in playing imports and backups. Some of the features on the more expensive chips I don't think I'll ever use. Right now I'm looking for the cheapest way to finish this game. When I have some more money, I'll buy a working disk 2 to replace my bad one.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    I'm pretty sure the slim ones can still use uLaunchELF but are limited in that there is no place to hook up the hard drive (without going a little crazy with the mod). If all he's wanting to do is transfer save files then the slim should do him just fine.
    The exploit was removed in all the slim model ps2s so there is no way to run uLaunchELF or any exploit code.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So, there is no way for me to transfer these ps1 saves since I have a slim ps2?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by erehwon View Post
    So, there is no way for me to transfer these ps1 saves since I have a slim ps2?
    Not without buying something.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks. I guess I'm going to buy a dex drive or buy another copy of the game. It's too bad there isn't a moddifed version of the software for the max drive.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by erehwon View Post
    Thanks. I guess I'm going to buy a dex drive or buy another copy of the game. It's too bad there isn't a moddifed version of the software for the max drive.
    If you have something that can read ps2 memory cards, copy the ps1 game save to the ps2 memory card using the browser. You'll be able to access the ps1 save from there.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shadowkn55 View Post
    If you have something that can read ps2 memory cards, copy the ps1 game save to the ps2 memory card using the browser. You'll be able to access the ps1 save from there.
    The max drive is a usb drive with two minicds: one for the computer and one for the ps2. Unfortunately, the max drive ps2 software views the ps1 saves I transfered to the ps2 memcard as corrupted data and it won't transfer that to a usb drive.