Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fascinated With The Jaguar...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Fascinated With The Jaguar...

I don't know what it is, but lately I've been obsessed with the Jaguar. I went so far as to even track down Worms (great game!) and another Jag-owner dream game I won't mention (drools). Point is, I really like this system...and here's the weird thing.

I know it just sucks in so many ways!

But it's funny because I actually LIKE that about the Jaguar. I mean, it's competitors had all this money and all these licenses/franchises that easily made them popular...but despite that, Atari just kept tryin' over and over to make it in the industry.

Games like Fight for Life and Bubsy are borderline unplayable but that doesn't keep me from tryin' to play them! The controller also feels rather odd but it grows on you in time as well - it's strange.

I'm gonna keep working on getting the whole Jag/Jag CD collection this year and playing each game as I get 'em.

Anybody else love this system even though they are perfectly aware of its many, many flaws?

BTW - Why does Germany/Europe have such a devoted Jaguar fanbase compared to say, America? Was that system marketed in a particular way or something over there? Is it like the Amiga in Europe? Just curious...
    Last edited by ShenmueFan; 04-24-2007 at 01:29 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Yep. And since I was never a fighting game fan, Fight For Life didn't bother me like it did some other people who were expecting Virtua Fighter gameplay. Bubsy is still a washout, though. Just too dull to bother with.

My faves:
    Alien vs. Predator
    Iron Soldier
    I-War
    Ultra Vortek
    Atari Karts
    Battlemorph
    Hover Strike: Unconquered Lands
    Missile Command 3D

Stuff to avoid:
    White Men Can't Jump
    Evolution: Dino Dudes
    Trevor McFur in the Crescent Galaxy
    Double Dragon V (If you even see the cart, just avert your eyes!)
    Checkered Flag
    Aircars

The Jaguar has some decent games on it, which is suprising when you think about the people who put the console out. The Tramiels weren't videogame people (although I've read that Sam was a bit, and was the one keeping it alive), and it was obvious they didn't know anything about running a video game company, all they knew were computers. Luckily, there were a lot of good Atari ST developers that jumped onboard that could make some halfway decent games for the Jag. And I've never understood why people whine about the controller. Yes, visually it looks clunky, but it's actually a good ergonomic design. I don't have Japanese sized hands, so I find the controller comfortable. The D-pad on the original Jagpads had the tendency to wear out, though.

There's a lot of games that people tend to trash but I still like them. I've always liked Club Drive. I like Kasumi Ninja too. Hover Strike (all the reviews at the time whined about the craft's handling... it's a hovercraft! It's supposed to handle like that!), Highlander, Fight For Life, they're all good in my book. I still don't know what people see in games like Defender 2000, though. Minter screwed that one up, in my opinion. Making the screen scroll up and down to see the landscape? WTF?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Jeff Minter explained that Defender 2000 was a casualty of the Atari marketing dept. interference. He said something to the effect of: He had wanted to make a remake of the original, at the original game screen dimensions and scale, but the marketing guys said "let's make the ship huge, and have huge sprites and graphics everywhere!" which Minter resisted but had to implement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    Stuff to avoid:
    White Men Can't Jump
    Well, avoid it if you want to play a good street basketball game. If you're a fan of unintentional comedy, look no further. This almost unplayable game is epically hilarious in every way.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

I have a Jag with an RGB cable and a modified spinner controller just to play T2K now

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

I've been wanting a Jaguar ever since I realized I passed on one for about 5 bucks at a garage sale when I was like 14.

The only one around here locally to buy is at a pawn shop, they want 99 dollars for it! Unbelievable. It does come with a handful of carts at least but jeez...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

I can forgive the Jag's many failings just so I can play T2K the way it was meant to be played. :-)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ShenmueFan View Post
    I know it just sucks in so many ways! But it's funny because I actually LIKE that about the Jaguar.
    A bit like those people who watch the bad Cult Films on TCM late-night Fridays. They like them even though they suck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

Quote Originally Posted by veronica_marsfan View Post
    A bit like those people who watch the bad Cult Films on TCM late-night Fridays. They like them even though they suck.
    I don't think that's a good analogy for the Jaguar. The Jag failed for a lot of reasons, but being a poorly designed or unplayable system wasn't one of them. Poor marketing, lack of corporate backing and an inability to score decent licenses were what killed the Jag.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pantechnicon View Post
    I don't think that's a good analogy for the Jaguar. The Jag failed for a lot of reasons, but being a poorly designed or unplayable system wasn't one of them. Poor marketing, lack of corporate backing and an inability to score decent licenses were what killed the Jag.
    Right. What few licenses the Jaguar had usually turned out fairly good. Rayman and NBA Jam TE, for example. Most of the bad Jaguar games were Atari titles or third-party 16-bit ports that were already bad on the Super NES or Genesis (i.e. Double Dragon V or Bubsy) and wouldn't get any better on the Jag. The system could have easily been a home for a few decent (or good) EA, Square, Capcom or Konami games. So failing to get a few licenses was the bigger problem and not the system itself.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Jaguar was fun to collect when the prices were still fairly decent. Now the Jaguar prices today are just assine for such craptastic games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

What happened to ShenmueFan?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    He's been taken to the Dungeon for some torture.

Thumb screws FTW!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    See a thread in the Off Topic forum which talks about usernames and avatars.

There is no truth to the rumor that ShenmueFan was eaten by the Atari Jaguar that he was so fascinated with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Too bad. On video game related topics he seemed like a good poster.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love the Jagger! My stuff... All games in boxes with all docs and are mint. I have 1 used Jag as well as 1 brand new in the box with 2 new in the box CD units. I also got a lot from ebay many years ago for a dozen or so controllers.

Alien VS Predator
    Baldies
    Battlemorph
    Brutal Sports Football
    Cannon Fodder
    Checkered Flag
    Club Drive
    Cybermorph
    Defender 2000
    Doom
    Dragon's Lair
    Fight For Life
    Flashback
    Highlander
    Hover Strike
    Iron Soldier 2
    Kasumi Ninja
    Missle Command Y2K
    Myst
    NBA Jam T.E.
    Pittfall
    Raiden
    Super Burnout
    Syndicate
    Tempest 2000
    Ultra Vortek
    Wolfenstein 3D
    Zool 2

My favorite to play with friends is Brutal Sports Football. But If you have a Jag and don't have Tempest 2000 you might as well not have a Jag at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yago View Post
    But If you have a Jag and don't have Tempest 2000 you might as well not have a Jag at all.
    Guess I might as well not have my Jaguar The hole in my collection where Tempest 2000 should be is currently being filled by the Spacewar 2000 cart and Supercross 3D.

You know, it is always weird to see a thread in which the original poster has been banned. He will never see the full fruits of his labor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Speaking of Tempest 2000, isn't there a version on the Saturn? Is it as good?

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Wow, why did he get banned!? Anyway, the Jaguar...One of my favorite systems and it actually has a rather large cult following... A couple of my friends got Jags back in 1994, whereas I got a 32X. It was a fun little war between us, arguing which version of DOOM was better etc... But, the Jag won me over and I sold the 32X and bought a Jag. I really loved the games I had for it back then, which were: Cybermorph, Tempest 2000, DOOM, Alien vs. Predator, Wolfenstein 3D, and Zool 2. But, I decided to sell my Jag to get a Playstation, which I also loved...but I always did miss my Jag just a bit on occasion. Then I discovered eBay in the early 2000's, and the Jag bit me again!

What helped me to really get hooked into the Jaguar scene was this place:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showforum=14

It used to be an extremely popular Jag forum, the most popular. It's still a good place. I got so hooked on the Jag from going there everyday that I ended up getting a Jag and Jag CD and about 40-50 games. However, I recently needed money and had to sell more than half of my games! Which sucked, but I'll buy 'em back someday! ...But anyways, if you want the ultimate Jaguar forum these days, it's this place!!!:

http://jaysmith2000.ipbhost.com/index.php

It was created by a guy by the name of Jay Smith, who is well known to have the most impressive Jaguar collection in the world...He's a really cool guy too. He is selling some rare Jag stuff on eBay right now actually...

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZjaysmith2000QQhtZ-1

You have to register at his forum in order to unlock all of the different areas...But the place is hoppin' with Jag fans and homebrew developers alike. You all should check it out.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love the Jag in that way too. It definitely is a craptacular system, no two ways about it. As craptacular as it may be, I actually like it more than the 32X. The 32X doesn't have much of anything that's redeeming, but the Jag has a few nice games. Alot of people take Cybermorph for granted, but for some odd reason I love that damn game. I also like Trevor McFurr, and I know everybody absolutely hates that game. I really liked the Jag's version of Doom. Even though it didn't have the background music, I liked it much more than Doom on 32X. When the Playstation 1 finally got Doom, I think that version was definitely better than the Jaguar version, but for awhile there, the Jag version was the best on consoles. AVP was a big time game when it first came out. Playing it now, it doesn't seem to have aged quite well, but it still has a nice creepy atmosphere to it, that's pretty cool.