I just got a ps2 from a garage sale for $5. I think it might be a version 1 model. It's giving me disc read errors. So far I've tried a ps1 game and a ps2 gameshark disk that was out( can't get to the rest of my ps2 games at the moment). I'm wanting to get this running to atleast get ps1 games to load. I was reading about an exploit that requires a ps1 game to load. With the exploit, I could better manage my saves, including backing up both ps1 and 2 saves to a usb drive. I need to get a ps1 save to a computer.

I've tried cleaning the lens. That didn't help. I've also looked at some other guides about fixing ps2's, which mention adjusting a white gear. I marked the starting spot where the white gear touched a bronze colored one. I've tried adjusting this. I'm not quite sure if I'm doing it right. The white knob seems to move back to where it had been originally set after I test it.

I'm really hoping I can get this running. I'd like to put a modchip in this someday for imports. Want to keep my slimline ps2 stock.