Quote Originally Posted by parallaxscroll View Post
Oh gawd all of that sounds funny to me now, and I am sure it sounds silly to you guys. Heh I am almost embarrassed I wrote that. Anyway, that's how I found out about, and got, Sega Genesis.
Don't be. The Mega Drive (yes I live in the US, but I always prefered the JPN & Euro name over "Genesis") is my all time favorite system. Still have my original Japanese Model 1 MD that I bought in 1994 too, many things have come and gone but not that system. Though strangely enough, my father had actually purchased the JPN MD system BEFORE buying me the Genesis, but he didn't realize it was an import, as he was doing business Internationally and picked one up without a box and what not. Got it home (no convetor) and it wouldn't work, thought it was broke. Then we saw the "Genesis" and bought that in Febuary 1990, and I shit bricks. The rest is history really.

I also remember being confused early on in the Genesis' life due to "differences" from pictures shown for upcoming games and what we actually got. Point in case, there was a fold out advert that came with Alex Kidd or Mystic Defender, (don't remember which anymore) that showed the box cover for "Revenge of Shinobi" but it was still titled Super Shinobi like the Japanese version and I was like WTF? for quite awhile. Also pictures for RAMBO III, showed Rambo on stage 3 on a bridge that was blown up, and it looked like he would have to swim ala' IKARI... and 3 Lorry's were parked nearby with some barracks up ahead. THIS NEVER APPEARS IN STAGE 3! much to my dissapointment. Guessing it was a early beta version, but I liked the idea we'd have to fight from the water, instead that stage has two bridges you can cross, and no Lorrys (deuce-n-a-halves), right after passing the area where a area of Jeep riding Spestnaz Commandos are. Things like this used to confuse me as well as piss me off. ***Ahhh, the memories indeed. Of course I literally freaked when upon using my first Honey Bee Mega Drive convertor cart I was able to bring up the JPN versions of Super Shinobi on Revenge and Kujaku Oh II on Mystic Defender, then thought EVERY game would do this only to learn that other than MERCS going back into Battlefield of the Wolf 2 (Commando II), not many games would.