Thread: Game hunting around Tokyo. Any tips?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Chasing the chuckwagon. schnuth's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Game hunting around Tokyo. Any tips?

Next month my wife and I will be making our second trip to Japan. We'll be staying mostly in Tokyo with a couple planned day trips outside the city. I know there are a couple locals on the forum, so I wanted to ask where good places are to buy games?

During our last trip in 2007 I spent a lot of time in Akihabara game hunting, and got quite a bit of stuff from Super Potato and Trader #2. I found there is another retro store called Friends on the northern side of Akihabara. Has anyone ever gone to this store?

I also got quite a few games at Mandarake in Nakano Broadway and thought their prices were better then in Akihabara, but without as big of a selection and not many consoles. How is the new Mandarake Complex in Akihabara for games?

How about flea markets? I found a few locations of fleas but I wasn't sure if they would be similar to the ones here in the States or not.

The pictures in the "Local Game Stores" thread are impressive too, but it's mentioned that these places and expensive and out of the way. Are there any of these crazy megastores worth the effort to find?

Finally I've heard that Book-Off locations have a small and cheap selection of older games. Has anyone had any experience with these stores?

I plan on concentrating mostly on PC Engine and Famicom. But as I found out last time being confronted with these insane amounts of games, your purchasing plans can change in a hurry! I really can't wait!

Thanks in advance for any insights!

Aaron
    Last edited by schnuth; 04-13-2009 at 03:57 PM.