Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
I don't see why everyone's whining about what he said, it's business. Of course they want to build sales on someone purchasing an initial installment. He essentially said what we all know. They give you the option to do more stuff with what you already bought. If you don't want to, then you don't have to. However obviously people do want to play more than one game and one set of songs with the guitar that came with their $100.00 starter bundle.

I will fully admit that the Guitar Hero franchise is very over saturated, especially as of late. Guitar Hero 5 pretty much came as a back to back release after Smash Hits, which was really just a rework to again try to catch up to the Rockband franchise. And then what's in the box, a voucher to get the next game free? Harmonix nailed how to go about adding additional content at about $2.00 a song with the track packs.

Companies wanting to make money off an installed base has been part of the industry since the start. YOU MEAN MAGNAVOX WANTS ME TO BUY A LIGHT RIFLE TO PLAY SHOOTING GAMES ON MY ODYSSEY?! If you don't want additional content and accessories, then don't buy them. Complaining about peripherals is so early 80's. I don't knock the guy for speaking frankly.
Gotta agree here. We all know that downloadable content is $$$. The perceived problem with it, though, isn't that it costs money but rather when devs put stuff in the game and then charge players to simply unlock that content. That isn't really what's happening with Guitar Hero, at least as far as I'm aware.

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
You're missing the point.

They know it, you know it, but for the love of god, you don't say it. In Corporate America, you don't gloat publicly and being candid and frank is not appreciated. It's bad for business.
Quote Originally Posted by Swamperon View Post
Exactly. Hit the nail on the head. Much like Kotick's 'Games should cost morez!' speech. I'm sure every company would like to be able to charge over $100 for every game if they could get away with it. But they certainly would never say it, it's bad for business.
That sounds pretty backwards to me. So a fatcat who says what everybody is thinking and lays it all out there on the table is more of a skunk than one who thinks the same thing but keeps his mouth shut in public only to let out a hearty Skeletor laugh when alone in his chambers?

In a world where everybody is demanding more straight talk from businessmen and politicians you'd think when we actually do get it we'd be at least a little more willing to listen.

I'll be the first to say the choice of words was less than prudent but what's the real crime here?