Thread: I've turned into a total tightwad with my game buys... anybody else?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default I've turned into a total tightwad with my game buys... anybody else?

I don't know if anybody else on here is anything like me, but I've turned into this total cheapo guy when it comes to buying games. It's amazing how my spending habits have changed. I know that some frown on the fact that if you're buying used games, you're no better than pirates when it comes to supporting the industry. I understand the theory of this take, yet at the same time, buying a used game isn't illegal or anything. You never hear anybody talk smack about people going to Blockbuster and buying the used DVD's or going to a Indy used music cd store and buying used music cd's. But no, if you buy used games, you're killing the industry.

Anyway, I'm not really trying to start that topic, so never mind with that.

Back to me being a cheap bastard. I used to always pay the full $59.99 for games (plus tax). Usually almost $66 or so. I don't know exactly what caused it, but at some point I just stopped buying games on release day. I think it was because I had a GameFly account, and I just didn't think I needed to do that anymore. Then I dropped the GameFly account, but still didn't buy new games. Now, I try to wait till a game is below $30 (with tax and everything), before I even ponder getting it. Even then, I honestly have a very hard time buying anything unless it's under $20. The last purchase I made was Infamous for the PS3. I was able to pick it up via Craigslist for $16 straight up. That's the other thing.... Not only do I avoid new games, I don't even like paying tax or shipping, lol. So, I avoid GameStop, GameCrazy (RIP), Ebay and everywhere else where you might have to pay tax or shipping. Craigslist is pretty much my retailer of choice at this point. 9 times out of 10 I would say that I'm buying the game from the original owner. I like to think that the $16 that I gave to the dude that sold me InFamous will go towards his downpayment on Red Dead Redemption, but it's just as likely to go towards two grams of the finest greenery.
    Last edited by WCP; 05-10-2010 at 11:05 PM.