0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Default Why are new games still $59.99?

Portal 2 and Mortal Kombat have been out for a little over 2 weeks now. Both $59.99.

Right now on Amazon, they are $34.99 and $39.99, respectively.

The same thing happens with nearly every single game release anymore. Buying things day 1 is getting to be a huge waste of money unless there's a lucrative pre-order bonus or something. Even then, it's probably not worth $10-$20 for some dlc or stupid trinket that's not even worth a couple bucks.

I guess I'll answer my own question...I know that publishers make more money back on those early adopters, but more and more people are waiting for sales, especially with the prices of gas and other commodities on the rise.

People wait for things to get traded in to buy used, too. How about this to curtail some of those lost profits to Gamestop? Why not just drop the price of new software to $39.99, have high sales for a longer period of time, and then make Gamestop give less in trade and therefore make less profit in the process? Seems like a good idea to me. Better to sell more at less profit, then have a strong initial rush of sale, then have to suffer lowered prices later.

(I'm glad I got my Portal 2 for $49 and Mortal Kombat for $30 at launch, thanks to a luckily-timed trade-in and a coupon, but still...I could have saved money on this sale.)
    Last edited by Oobgarm; 05-01-2011 at 01:38 PM.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.