Thread: Capcom tries to kill used video game sales with the one-save game

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Bojay, While I may be generally indifferent about the actual game itself (I've played a shit ton of Mercs on RE5 and on my iPhone, so I have what I believe is an appropriate perspective on the game and what a locked-down save file means in the context of what the game offers) what I do take extraordinary issue with is the impact that the media has had on this issue and the cascading effect that it had on the gaming public.

If it's not evident I'm a very even-keel guy when it comes to how I like to digest my gaming news. I do not like needless sensationalism and I do not like divisive or biased journalism. I say leave that shit to the various nightly and/or cable news programs reporting on entertainment, politics, religion, sports, etc.. keep it out of my gaming news. This industry suffers from enough childish bias at the consumer level.

I disagree with the notion that this has been reported as some noble act intended to "protect" the gaming public. I get that I'm in the minority but I also know that I'm absolutely entitled to my opinions.

It's pretty obvious that public opinion has been swayed by (or in some cases formed entirely based on) very subjective and needlessly sensational headlines surrounding this event. Every instance of a comment response to an article that says "I'm canceling my pre-order!" or "I'm never buying another game from Capcom!" is evidence to support this.

I would much rather see the gaming public formulate their own opinions from hands-on/experiential knowledge rather than be told that Capcom is doing something "calculated" and "malicious" to them by some reporter at Kotaku or Destructoid and directly impact the sales of a game that might have been marginally successful if not for the conspiracy-bent vitriol spewed by the gaming press.

As far as your question:

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    ...why do you see the need to keep posting in this thread?
    You answered it yourself:

Because I am a person and ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    ...People here and everywhere on the Internet like to complain about things that they find irritating or odd or whatever. That's what discussion boards are for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    Did you just...? Really? LMAO I didn't buy this either. Their name being on the box doesn't help, even if Playmore were 100% at fault, skipped testing and solely screwed it up. Capcom got a cut and also didn't field any obligation whatsoever IIRC. This wasn't a CDi vs Nintendo contract farce either. They could have helped, or pulled.
    While I appreciate the similarities, SNK Playmore produced and published the title not Capcom.

SNK Playmore acknowledged the game breaking bug and issued a recall/replacement cartridge by mail.

The name Capcom may have been on the game, but from what I understand like all of Capcom and SNK's other historical collaborations, development teams/resources were not shared, only characters licensed. Play testing is the responsibility of the studio and the publisher, which in this case is SNK.

I'm sure Capcom wasn't pleased when they heard the news, but it wasn't their place to fix that mess.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 06-30-2011 at 01:12 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"