Quote Originally Posted by StealthLurker View Post
I went down this path a few years ago and picked up many devices (still have them) from XRGBs to DVDOs (and a bunch of other stuff in between pricewise). Currently I'm running a DVDO VP50, DVDO VP30+ABT and a DVDO Edge (retired a DVDO iScanHD+). Overall I was very unsatisfied with the picture quality and stability of the XRGB2/2+/3. I thought the HDBoxPro was utter crap. Also tried various AudioAuthority devices stand alone and in certain parts of the chain. I think at last count I had 20-30 such little devices for scaling/deinterlacing/transcoding/blah blah based on various reviews. Some devices looked gorgeous on a CRT VGA monitor but failed (imho) on a flat panel.

Right now in terms of picture quality and price, the DVDO Edge is hard to beat. You can get one for as low as $500USD now. Originally they were 799. A VP50 is gonna run 1,000+ and a VP50 Pro in the 2k range. The only thing missing (for me at least) is a scanline effect.

However, hands down.... the best PQ on an HDTV set (imho of course) is going to be via emulation. I have dedicated gaming grade PCs hooked up to all the HDTVs in the house for that. But if you do want to play with the original hardware on an HDTV I'd go with the DVDO Edge. If you want scanlines add an SLG3000 ($100ish) or XRGB3 ($300) into the mix. If you want original hardware with the best PQ possible, get an RGB CRT (NECXM, Sony PVM, etc) with custom RGB cables and modified game consoles (if needed).... or get japanese 21pin RGB cables and an XRGB2/2+.

For the most part, if you're not running a RUNCO, upper model Panasonic, Pioneer Kuro, etc... I'd assume the internal scaling/deinterlacing hardware of the HDTV set is going to be "ehhh ok" for most tastes to crap in terms of a PQ to performance blend.

Wow!! I finally Decided to "join the conversation" and join the site yesterday. I searched for the term "SLG3000" and found your post. I must complement you. You are very knowledgeable (not saying that because we have the same opinion on many things, or so it seems) in terms of display technology and I am deeply impressed with the pictures found in your link. Truth be told, I'd like to appeal to your high standards for advice of how to approach acquiring the various pieces of "kit" to connect my older systems (Sega) - Genesis, 32x, Saturn, Dreamcast. I am trying to purchase the SCART cables domestically but no of no one that my have them in stock. Also, I intend to buy the DVDO Edge as well as the SLG3000 and other bits. Your thoughts? Opinions? I live in Chicago and am amazed that all the import gaming stores have closed down and the ones that are around do not know what SCART is. Thanks in advance.