Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Default Overrated games this gen

Now, as overrated, I don't mean Halo Reach, Call of Duty Black Ops, World of Warcraft, etc, etc, because while the games are popular, the games actually have great gameplay for their respective genres. When I say overrated, something that receives endless praise, but then you go out and purchase the game only to be rewarded with one of the biggest shitfests you've played.

This is obviously only each persons opinion, but there are a lot of games that get insane amounts of praise yet suck total ass.

Final Fantasy 13. This game needs no introduction, but oddly enough, it's loved as much as it's hated. For how bad it is, I just don't get it.

Fallout 3. My personal choice for the most overrated game this gen. The graphics are amazing, I'll admit, some of the best looking graphics this generation mind you, but damn if it's not one of the most boring games I've ever played. Huge explorable world, but every location looks the same. You pick up the same weapons repeatedly, and although you can create your own weapons, you'll have a few weapons that are slightly different yet practically the same? Combat you're either playing it as an extremely lackluster FPS or a lackluster RPG, your choice, and as an RPG you have practically no versatility other than weapon strengths. The beginning of the game was fine, but my overall opinion, and this is after playing 30 hours, is how the fuck did this get perfect scores all across the board and have so much praise? Oblivion and Morrowind on the other hand are enjoyable due to variety in gameplay. More than likely, Skyrim will be as well.

God of War 3. Being almost exactly like the first two this is a given. Being pro Sony you'd expect this game to be one of my favored, but it's one of the worst stylish action games I've ever played. The puzzles bring the game to a grinding halt due to the fact that some of them are some cryptic bullshit that it's right under your nose but it's the last thing you'd ever expect. The combat is extremely repetitive and there's less variety to your skills than most games, if not all, in this genre. The story, which oddly enough was praised for being so amazing, was.... really not there at all, and fucking terrible mind you. Dante's Inferno was an amazing game that was bashed by reviews and gamers alike, yet shit like this gets praised to no end. Even X Men Origins Wolverine, with how repetitive it is has more variety and is much more fun than God of War 3.

And why I even started this thread. Dead Rising 2 Off the Record. I bought this game due to how much praise it received and while I didn't watch too many videos, I wanted free roam zombie game. Nearly every weapon has a different look but is practically the same. Take the skateboard and the tricycle. If you were given some Tony Hawk gameplay when using the skateboard, that'd be a whole different story, but R2 to go forward, no tricks to be done, it's nothing more than the tricycle which is R2 to go forward. There's really no variety to the gameplay, even with many of the custom created weapons. It's like. Ooo wow, this [insert random item being used on zombie] looks awesome, but then once you see it once, the novelty of it wears off. While it's not as monotonous and boring as Fallout 3 for sure, and definitely not nearly as overrated, it's still a pretty crappy game that is overall highly rated. Atleast Dead Rising 2 was highly rated, and this is pretty much the same game with some minor differences, one being that you're now playing as Frank West.

If such shitty games didn't get reviewed and plastered with unrealistic scores, and then purchased by the fanbase who immediately praises the game because they don't want to feel butthurt that they spent $60 on a game that sucks total ass only for the rest of the fanbase to do the same, then developers wouldn't continue developing such garbage. Maybe they would, but maybe there would be less AAA titles that were total bullshit if people would just tell the developers the truth. Hey [random developer,] your game sucks ass and we don't like it. Everyone now days is afraid to give an honest opinion as the opinion might be rejected by others so they do nothing other than follow the crowd like sheep to be accepted. Stop being pussies and form your own opinions.

*edit*

Obviously this is a rant and a post won't change anything, but after wasting my money on another shitty game, there are quite a lot of them this gen I'll say, I just felt the need to say something.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 10-22-2011 at 12:23 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.