Quote Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
The NES version of Defender of the Crown was WAY too easy because of the extras they added. When your home castle was attacked you defended it with a crossbow shooting mini-game rather than a regular battle screen, but because of the way it was set up you could easily beat it without ever getting hit (it was a little slow and there were only a few spots where the soldiers popped up). So you could easily leave only one soldier to defend your home castle and never have to worry about it.

The joust scene added a second part where you fought with morning stars and was fairly easy as well. If you lost the jousting part (which was still ungodly hard) you could easily beat the morning star part and win the event (you only had to win one or the other IIRC). So even a character with bad jousting skills could easily win. This made it super easy to grab other peoples land and max out your fame.
Yes. While I'd have to pick the Amiga version (or maybe the GBA version) as my favorite, the NES version has a few things about it that make it less preferable.

I mean, it's not terrible, it's just has a few things in there (like what you described) that break the strategy elements.