It seems like I picked the worst time to start collecting. Most everything is expensive and prices keep climbing, I can't find ANYTHING for a decent bargain from all my local resources, and it feels like I missed the grace period where game collecting was affordable for someone like me with a limited income.

I check every Goodwill/Value Village/Pawn Shop/etc. every chance I get, and I'm lucky to find decent recent games, but cartridges? Impossible.

I have access to local independent game stores with good selection, but you're lucky to even get ebay prices from these places.

It's a good thing I focus on PS2 collecting, but it's at least partially due to pragmatism. Anything older than PS2 is out of the question.

So, the point of this thread is to ask,

Is there hope that game collecting will cool down/crash/etc.? I know prices have skyrocketed the past few years, and that as of late many prior avenues for game collecting (goodwill, craigslist, etc.) have largely become a thing of the past, but could things get better? Could a successful and exciting new console gen in PS4/XB1 distract some people for instance? Is there precedent for a meteoric rise & fall in interest like this for game collecting?