At some point or another I've either owned or used most every peripheral controller you can use on consoles; dance mats, light guns, 3D glasses, guitars... the usual stuff. Never once have I had any experience with a steering wheel setup for console racing games. To be fair my experience with racers is limited to Sega arcade racers or kart racers so by no means am I big into the genre.

For those that have used them, what's your opinion on these setups? I'd assume like most peripherals a decent first party controller is probably better than a low quality peripheral, but what about those mid and upper priced options? Do they really immerse you into the game more or bring your performance up?

I dug out the Saturn version(s) of Daytona last week and finally tried them out with the 3D controller. Huge control difference (all for the better) that even for me as a guy who never plays racers noticed immediately. For a brief moment I entertained the idea of buying a first party Sega racing wheel, but I don't own too many racers for the Saturn, and even then it's limited to digital control on the gas pedal which seems like it would be a dealbreaker if you're going all out for a realistic driving setup.

What's your experience with these?