On the way to visit my mom today I swung by a new thrift store. They only had one console game (John Elway II, Genesis for $2) but next to that they had several PC titles which I had fun digging through. They had Front Page Sports '94 and '95, Welltris by Spectrum Holobyte, and several other games for a buck or two. At the bottom of the stack was the original King's Quest.

I don't collect PC software or anything but I remember when King's Quest first came out. I played that game a lot, both on our old XT and on our PC Jr. I looked over the artwork and decided I'd like to have this on my shelf. Before taking it up to the counter to buy it, I thought I'd open it up and check it out. Inside the box were all the original manuals, paperwork ... and three pirated diskettes with the words "King's Quest" hand written on them! I put it back on the shelf.

In retrospect, I probably should have picked it up anyway, just for the box. I was a little surprised to see copied disks right on the shelf, but then again the software was sitting next to copied VHS tapes (never understood that at thrifts either) so I just had to laugh.