Thread: TG-16 power supply question (update...but no pics)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default TG-16 power supply question (update...but no pics)

I see that The Electric Quarter sells an AC Adapter for SNES/NES, Genesis, TG-16, and Jaguar CD. My question, then, is if anybody knows if a regular TG-16 power adapter will work on the TurboExpress or the PC-Engine GT (Japanese version, which is the exact model I have). I need a supply that delivers 7 watts.

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The TurboExpress uses the same AC adaptor as the TurboGrafx, I know that. I can't say for sure about the GT. If the plug size is the same, then I'd be 99.9% sure all the rest of the specs are the same.

The actual AC adaptor that came with the systems was 10.5V, this third party adapter is bound to be 9V since it's universal, but that shouldn't matter. It'll be either 1000 or 800mA, either of which should be enough.

...word is bondage...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It might work but I wouldn't suggest it. The Turbo Express uses a 7.0 volt, centre positive supply (model HES-ACA-04) while the TG16 uses a 10.5 volt, centre negative supply (model HES-ACA-01). The connector for the TG16 power supply won't even fit into a Turbo Express.

...word is a slang term often used to express agreement, which I suppose is ironic since I don't agree at all with anything in the above post...

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On a related note as you mentioned that the ac adapter that the site is selling is compatible with everything I'm mentioning (plus SNES, probably with a second wire coming out of it),

Genesis mark 1 power supply, nice higher amperage ,1.2amps, centre neg, 9v DC, super easy to find.

I know it works well with:

Famicom Disk System
    Famicom
    Super Famicom
    Mark 1 Genesis (durr...)
    Sega CD
    Jaguar
    NES

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smashy
    It might work but I wouldn't suggest it. The Turbo Express uses a 7.0 volt, centre positive supply (model HES-ACA-04) while the TG16 uses a 10.5 volt, centre negative supply (model HES-ACA-01). The connector for the TG16 power supply won't even fit into a Turbo Express.
    This is what I had figured, thanks for the heads-up!

NOW, I have something to report.

Since I'm a clever guy (uhh, sometimes) I decided to get a solution that would work both in my car and at home. I just won/paid for these items today, so I can't actually give a report on how they work, but here they are:

A TurboExpress Car Adapter

Note the voltage/input requirements (easily seen in the second picture). Nice that there's a standard across various types of cars. My car (a 2001 Hyundai Sonata) apparently isn't quite as good as their newer models, but it has both a cigarette lighter and a power outlet (of the same shape). I'm not really big on gaming while driving, but it's nice to have this.

The second piece of the puzzle:

Wall/U.S. mains AC to car DC power converter. This should be useful in general for powering devices that you only have a car adaptor (adapter? heh) for.

Total cost - $13.93, not bad!

What's also nice is that all I need to do is buy a car adaptor if I want to use other systems off the car's power. I'll hold back until I know this works, though.

I'll post an update if anything goes wrong, but it shouldn't. If anybody wants to see the thing working when I get it all together, I could do that too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm always up for seeing the unique solutions at work, post the pics man!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    I'll post an update if anything goes wrong, but it shouldn't. If anybody wants to see the thing working when I get it all together, I could do that too.
    I hope that it works out for you but first, I'd make darn sure that the 120V AC to 12V DC converter you bought provides sufficient amperage output for the TurboExpress car adaptor (which doesn't seem to be the case given the picture).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smashy
    I hope that it works out for you but first, I'd make darn sure that the 120V AC to 12V DC converter you bought provides sufficient amperage output for the TurboExpress car adaptor (which doesn't seem to be the case given the picture).
    Note well that the adaptor only says it requires 12V DC input. Also notice that it says 700 mA on the output line. Y'see, cigarette lighters in cars (and power outlets) are an automotive standard across the world. So there's really nothing to worry about here. Nice job trying to scare me, though.

T2KFreeker: Will do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    Note well that the adaptor only says it requires 12V DC input. Also notice that it says 700 mA on the output line. Y'see, cigarette lighters in cars (and power outlets) are an automotive standard across the world. So there's really nothing to worry about here. Nice job trying to scare me, though.
    I think that the Turbo Express car adaptor only says 12V DC since it's designed to run off of a car rather than a wall plug. Consider that many high-end car stereos get their power from the car's alternator. You wouldn't presume to be able to power it from a 12V source only rated for 300mA output, would you? It's physics, not magic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Update!

The big problem was that the seller who listed the AC-DC converter had its output listed at 300mA, instead of 400mA (what the label actually says). Regardless, I had known that what I was buying was meant to convert to the car power standard, and that's not going to change if the seller gets it wrong.

I converted into volts, watts, and amps for each step (whichever was missing) and the 400mA works somewhat better - wattage stays pretty much constant before and after it leaves the Car Adapter (the secondtransformer), increasing from 4.8W input to 4.9 on output, while the PC-GT itself lists 4.6W as being necessary.

It worked in the car's power outlet.

Went inside and it worked while plugged into the AC-DC adapter just fine, as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice. 400mA sounds much better than 300mA for your 12V. I'm glad that it worked out.