Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Beggar Prince - new Sega Genesis RPG: now shipping!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought mine in it's first run as an impulse buy. The game is fantastic, but like most RPGs it's taken the back-burner. I did have some beef with the condition my game arrived in, and figured I may re-order on this 2nd run once I get some money together.

Never let dreams die! CMA Death Adder's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Default ...

Quote Originally Posted by suppafly View Post
    What an AWFUL review. Someone should teach that woman how to write a proper review. She spent most of the time talking about other things and not about the game´s details. What a waste of paper for the magazine´s readers
    Yeah, it's odd... most of our press has been very positive, but every now and then you get a writer who doesn't understand just what we're trying to do, or the circumstances (and difficulties) behind the endeavor, etc. etc.

In any case, despite the content of this particular review, I'm happy to have our game mentioned in Play Magazine; it will only serve to make more people aware of what we have done. That's a good thing, regardless of the review's tone.
    Cruise by Diskman Presents : filled with geektastic classic gaming goodness!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CMA Death Adder View Post
    Yeah, it's odd... most of our press has been very positive, but every now and then you get a writer who doesn't understand just what we're trying to do, or the circumstances (and difficulties) behind the endeavor, etc. etc.
    Two things which have very little to with reviews, unless you think reviews are supposed to be pats on the back instead of, you know, reviews. Which may very well be what you expect, bringing a 10 year-old Taiwanese RPG back from the dead and doing so rather poorly. But hey, everything's like the Special Oympics, right? A for effort?

In any case, despite the content of this particular review, I'm happy to have our game mentioned in Play Magazine; it will only serve to make more people aware of what we have done. That's a good thing, regardless of the review's tone.
    Nobody worth anything reads Play. Really, it's probably more damaging than anything; if Play, of all mags, doesn't jizz over this kind of thing, then that may just be the first time their opinion actually means anything. They usually eat this sort of thing up like it were golden honey. The only real difference here is that we got a meaningless pile of negative drivel as opposed to a meaningless pile of positive drivel.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by poieo View Post
    Two things which have very little to with reviews, unless you think reviews are supposed to be pats on the back instead of, you know, reviews. Which may very well be what you expect, bringing a 10 year-old Taiwanese RPG back from the dead and doing so rather poorly. But hey, everything's like the Special Oympics, right? A for effort?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ken, calm down, please.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Nobody worth anything reads Play. Really, it's probably more damaging than anything; if Play, of all mags, doesn't jizz over this kind of thing, then that may just be the first time their opinion actually means anything. They usually eat this sort of thing up like it were golden honey. The only real difference here is that we got a meaningless pile of negative drivel as opposed to a meaningless pile of positive drivel.
    I'm not sure how many people read Play but since you seem to know everything, maybe you could tell me. I think you are missing the point of his enthusiasm over the write up. There are a lot of people who read the magazine and saw that review. Some of them might have laughed it off. That isn't important. It is safe to assume there are at least a few people who read that and never heard of Beggar Prince or knew it was recently released. The whole point of him being excited about the review is that news of the game is reaching some of these people who might otherwise never know about it.

Regardless of what the review looks like or what people like you think of the magazine, a certain percentage of the people reading it will be interested in the game. It may be a very small percentage but some people still want to pick up a game that looks and plays like it was made in 1996. Some woman giving it a 5 isn't going to change that. Otherwise, CMA wouldn't have invested in this project. As for the comment that the game fared poorly, I think the fact it had a second production run says it all. As for your argument, better luck next thread.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That was my point. Nobody cares what Play says about anything. As for your reading comprehension, better luck next thread.

And on top of that, if all you care about is what advertising effect a negative review has, eat shit and die.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default So

For what it's worth, I like PLAY magazine and look forward to getting it every month. SOME of the content is very entertaining and well-written. That being said, I DON'T trust the reviews and I don't have a lot of respect for the publisher. Anyone notice how the last issue had the new Sonic The Hedgehog game on the COVER and gave the 360 version a review score of 9.5? Compiled scores from GameRankings.com give it a 4.7 and that's not good. Seems like Play's reviews and covers are available for sale to the highest bidder. I remember a few issues ago where the editor said that Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness was a great game that had been dumped on unfairly. That game sucked.
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

That was my point. Nobody cares what Play says about anything. As for your reading comprehension, better luck next thread.

And on top of that, if all you care about is what advertising effect a negative review has, eat shit and die.
    I guess I'm in waaaaaay over my head debating this matter with an internet troll like you. I've seen about half of your fifty posts, all of which flame other people.

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    I guess I'm in waaaaaay over my head debating this matter with an internet troll like you. I've seen about half of your fifty posts, all of which flame other people.

I've noticed that as well. I've got a feeling he won't be here for much longer. Shit, it's probably Tony_Good or some other 'tard like that.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ah yes. The time tested stance that pointing out idiocy is "trolling". Swift dodge, sir.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Ah yes. The time tested stance that pointing out idiocy is "trolling". Swift dodge, sir.
    The only idiot is a guy who can't go 2-3 posts without cursing or attacking people. You have less than 60 posts and they are all garbage filled with name calling or curses. One post reads "Eat shit and die." You have two or three posts in another thread accusing other people of being "pussies." I seem to remember a couple f-bombs you've wrote. I'm aware this is a message board for all ages and I'm not the language police but no credible member around here regularly curses in their posts like you do.

As for my original point, most game developers would rather have a lukewarm review from a magazine than not even get mentioned in the magazine at all. The only people who care what magazine is writing the review are stupid fanboys. Do you think RockStar games or Nintendo cares whether it is Gamepro, EGM, Game Informer or Play reviewing their game? You seem to think it is a bad thing for the people who produced Beggar Prince to get their game reviewed in Play or any other magazine you don't like.

You're no troll, you got me there. You're a cancer. Guess I stooped to name calling, too. Oops!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Blatt
    PSN
    AGBulls

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    The only idiot is a guy who can't go 2-3 posts without cursing or attacking people. You have less than 60 posts and they are all garbage filled with name calling or curses. One post reads "Eat shit and die." You have two or three posts in another thread accusing other people of being "pussies." I seem to remember a couple f-bombs you've wrote. I'm aware this is a message board for all ages and I'm not the language police but no credible member around here regularly curses in their posts like you do.

As for my original point, most game developers would rather have a lukewarm review from a magazine than not even get mentioned in the magazine at all. The only people who care what magazine is writing the review are stupid fanboys. Do you think RockStar games or Nintendo cares whether it is Gamepro, EGM, Game Informer or Play reviewing their game? You seem to think it is a bad thing for the people who produced Beggar Prince to get their game reviewed in Play or any other magazine you don't like.

You're no troll, you got me there. You're a cancer. Guess I stooped to name calling, too. Oops!
    I really hate to just flat out agree with you bangtango, but I'm going to anyway. I have now spent a large portion of the last month meeting new people here and having friendly adult conversations about our beloved hobby. For the most part, this board consists of adults who are sensible and use logic in conjuring up arguments. But this guy decided to hop into the Wii thread that Anthony created and fire up a huge storm against me and accuse me "of having no perspective for someone who worked for EB." You can disagree with people---that is all well and fine. But you don't have to be vindictave and cruel. If we wanted that we would go to the gamefaqs boards. Thanks, I feel I've made my peace now
    Parallel universe. Bush, destitute, joins army.

Check out my Gaming Comic: www.GreeneSide.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nobody cares what poieo says about anything
    Fixed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Default ...

Retro Gamer magazine (England) worked a rather lovely, 3-page Beggar Prince feature into their 28th issue. Though the magazine shipped in September, 2006, I just recently received high-quality scans of the feature. So, without further ado:

Retro Gamer reviews Beggar Prince and interviews Brandon Cobb

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just ordered mine. When does the second batch ship out?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Default ...

Quote Originally Posted by esquire View Post
    Just ordered mine. When does the second batch ship out?
    Thanks, we appreciate your order.

Your order will very likely be shipped on Monday. Watch for the e-mail confirmation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default any one finish beggar prince??

Spoiler alert!!!

I know there is another thread but no one seems to pay attention to it any more so im trying to see if a new one would work

So im stuck and looking for help. I just escaped from being married to the ugly native and was rescued by the blue digging dragon that says master help me. I have travesed the entire map twice and spoke to every one and cant find what to do next. Can any one help me.

i have only the areas in the uncrossable terain to visit and i cant get to them.
    The human operates out of complex superiority demands, self -affirming through ritual, insiting upon a rational need to learn, striving for self-imposed goals, manipulating his environment while he denies his own adaptive abilities, never fully satisfied.
    --Frank Herbert

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Default ...

Quote Originally Posted by googlefest1 View Post
    Spoiler alert!!!
    It couldn't have been too much of a spoiler, if you got stuck.

I know there is another thread but no one seems to pay attention to it any more
    Yeah... mayhaps someone will remedy that tragedy.

I just escaped from being married to the ugly native and was rescued by the blue digging dragon that says master help me. I have travesed the entire map twice and spoke to every one and cant find what to do next. Can any one help me.
    The prince needs to take care of some unfinished business in the Capital. Do you recall the jeweler that swindled him? Well, it's time for some payback. Perhaps the wooden mallet you picked up from the native village could be of some use...

i have only the areas in the uncrossable terain to visit and i cant get to them.
    It's not the proper time, just yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thanks for the response

ive been all over that town even after you message- i didnt think that ((thing)) in the jewelry shop was what it ended up to be

is no one playing this game?

is no one interested in that $25 bounty on game faqs for the walkthough? I don't care for the bounty but i wish someone would post a walkthrough The characters don't give out to much info.
    The human operates out of complex superiority demands, self -affirming through ritual, insiting upon a rational need to learn, striving for self-imposed goals, manipulating his environment while he denies his own adaptive abilities, never fully satisfied.
    --Frank Herbert