Thread: Thinking about a Saturn...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Thinking about a Saturn...

....should I bother?

I've just started to really build up a small collection. My goal isn't to complete a set, I just want some good playable games. Right now I have the modern stuff (360, Wii, PSP and a DS) and a Dreamcast. I just got the Dreamcast a few days ago and really like it's variety of games. I also have a Genesis with a large number of games coming to me soon. Selling my Genny collection years ago was stupid on my part.

I like sports, action and fighting games as well as traditional arcade type of games. I don't do Zelda-type of games. I'm not the type to invest 80 hours into a game unless you consider playing a season in a sports game.

Anyway, my interest in Saturn was piqued after reading an article about NiGHTS. I think it's silly to buy a system for 1 game. Are there other "musts" on Saturn or do I have things covered with my present setup? Is there another system I should consider? I'd love a Neo Geo but I doubt I could still afford it!

RC

Pac-Man (Level 10) theshizzle3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Virtua Fighter
    Virtua Cop
    Impact Racing
    Herc's Adventure

There are a bunch more, but specifically anything Virtua related they are all good games.
    Looking to buy any Criterion movies that I don't already have.

http://cinemalacrum.blogspot.com/

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rscaramelo View Post
    ....should I bother?

I've just started to really build up a small collection. My goal isn't to complete a set, I just want some good playable games. Right now I have the modern stuff (360, Wii, PSP and a DS) and a Dreamcast. I just got the Dreamcast a few days ago and really like it's variety of games. I also have a Genesis with a large number of games coming to me soon. Selling my Genny collection years ago was stupid on my part.

I like sports, action and fighting games as well as traditional arcade type of games. I don't do Zelda-type of games. I'm not the type to invest 80 hours into a game unless you consider playing a season in a sports game.

Anyway, my interest in Saturn was piqued after reading an article about NiGHTS. I think it's silly to buy a system for 1 game. Are there other "musts" on Saturn or do I have things covered with my present setup? Is there another system I should consider? I'd love a Neo Geo but I doubt I could still afford it!

RC
    This type of question has already been done so someone will probably link you to a different thread.

However, you will find that the Saturn has a good variety of sports games and fighting games. If you like the EA or Sega Sports games, you should be satisfied. As for fighting games, there were good ones released domestically and as imports. You even get decent versions of stuff like Tomb Raider and Resident Evil, if you enjoyed those on Playstation.

Honestly, though, I don't play my Saturn all that much and the unit I currently have is my third because I've sold off the system twice before that. Then again, I'm not really one for imports so I am missing many of the best games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Sup Caramelo

Anyway, the only Saturn buying I bother with these days is imports, mainly shooters and stuff that didn't come out here. I probably want to pick up the Beyond Oasis sequel sometime, but that did come out as an import as well (I think).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I think you should buy a super nintendo instead. There are all sorts of great games to play on it, Like super punch out, Super mario world, Donkey kong country, Zombies ate my neighbors, And The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The past.

Or you could get some more Dreamcast gamnes and a VGA Cable for the dreamcast so you can hook it up to your computer monitor. I haven't seen the dreamcast playing on a VGA cable, But I think that it would look much better than on a standard definition TV.
    Last edited by Slate; 02-01-2007 at 04:53 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Slate View Post
    I think you should buy a super nintendo instead. There are all sorts of great games to play on it, Like super punch out, Super mario world, Donkey kong country, Zombies ate my neighbors, And The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The past.
    Lacking a SNES is bad, if that's true (you can't tell for certain from the original post), but I thought that this should be pointed out:
    I don't do Zelda-type of games. I'm not the type to invest 80 hours into a game unless you consider playing a season in a sports game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    Lacking a SNES is bad, if that's true (you can't tell for certain from the original post), but I thought that this should be pointed out:
    I don't do Zelda-type of games. I'm not the type to invest 80 hours into a game unless you consider playing a season in a sports game.
    It is a good thing that there isn't a Zelda game to date you can't beat within 35 hours. Matter of fact, all of them except Twilight Princess, can be beaten in under 15-18 and most under 12.

I say he should give them a shot. Another vote for the SNES!

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Given your tastes in games, I think the Saturn would be right up your alley. Sega has always been known for their arcadey pick-up-and-play games and the Saturn was probably the high point of that trend. Games like NiGHTS, Die Hard Arcade, Sega Rally, Virtual On, Three Crude Dudes, and so on. Not to mention the third party stuff from the likes of Treasure and Capcom and all the arcade shooters and such. The sports games I am not as familiar with except to say that World Series Baseball '98 is probably my second favorite baseball game of all time (after Baseball Stars on the NES). And of course, nothing can beat the Saturn when it comes to fighters, whether you prefer 2D or 3D, the Saturn is simply has most of the best games in the genre.

It's precisely the RPGs and long story-driven games that people miss on the Saturn (at least among the domestic releases), but if they're not your thing then the Saturn is sort of the perfect system for you.

...word is bondage...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'd get a Saturn if I were you. As long as you're willing to import JP games, you open a whole new realm to the Saturn experience. However, if you want to stick to US games only, there's still a decent software library out there you could get cheaply. For under $100, you could have a Saturn, NiGHTS, Sega Rally, Virtua Cop 2, and a handful of other $5-$10 titles.

I'd say it's worth the investment. You never know. When I started in 1999, I only intended to buy World Heroes Perfect. I went on to buy over 350 games, today the owner of roughly 180. It was a hell of a run.

Just have fun, whatever you decide to do.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dude, get the Saturn. I have NO reason why you shouldn't other than a few ports were better on the PS. To make it easy on yourself pick up an importer cartridge and buy to your hearts desire.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]