Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
Well, I bought Gumshoe (NES) yesterday on someone's suggestion here, & it's quite different & innovative.

I was ready to return it, seemed too hard/impossible to be any fun, but now I call it challenging. It also keeps me playing, trying over & over again, which is one of the aspects of a good game.

Last night, I thought I'd never beat the high score I got when I quit, & on my 1st try today I bested it. 15,600 so far.

& something tells me the game is HUGE.

Hey, that was me! Isn't it great? Once you beat it, it goes through a second loop that's much harder, and has new enemies and objects that weren't present in the first loop. Also, I don't know how it works, but the game is not the same every time you play it. Sometimes you can get into a sort of "bonus area", where tons of lucky birds come out of the sky to give you potions (or chickens ) Every level's got one, but I don't know how to access them. I get it in level 1 pretty much every time, but it's just blind luck with the other ones. There are no FAQ's or explanations of this that I can find on the net, and I don't remember there being any explanation of it in the manual (which, quite honestly, I'm not sure I've ever layed eyes on in the first place).

So, there's a lot to do with Gumshoe. Enjoy it, you'll never see anything like it again.

@courtesi96:
Yes, both Gauntlet games were good in their own way. The Tengen-published Gauntlet 1 plays like the arcade game, but is more of an adventure game. You can power up your character and save with passwords. The levels themselves are gigantic puzzles, and often rooms will repeat and repeat until you find the proper hidden exit, which is both cool and frustrating. To do the game right, you have to find hidden rooms, and then find a hidden item in said hidden rooms within a certain period of time. If you fail to do this, the game will let you keep going, but will announce that you have failed and will never see the true ending. I've never been able to do it. You have to basically cheat and know where everything is ahead of time, because you only get one shot at each hidden room.

Gauntlet II, published by mindscape, is essentially the arcade version of Gauntlet II. It's 4-player compatible, and has most of the great voice samples from the arcade version. However, it never ends, and runs in an endless loop, so playing by yourself is kind of pointless after awhile.