Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Earthbound Zero for NES - what's your opinion?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Blatt
    PSN
    AGBulls

Quote Originally Posted by Snapple View Post
    Even thought it's been established that your cart is obviously not a real release, it's still worth hanging onto. EBZ is a good game, and I, like most people who have played it, had to play via emulator. You can do it on your tv.

The project is still active, and it's being worked on by two really great fan translation groups, one at Starmen.net and one at mother3.org.
    I'm extremely tempted to just buy the import on GBA and read a translation guide. Has anyone ever tried that? I can't imagine its real easy.
    Parallel universe. Bush, destitute, joins army.

Check out my Gaming Comic: www.GreeneSide.com

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All things aside I really did not enjoy this game. Nor did I enjoy the SNES release.

Just not my cup of tea?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by agbulls View Post
    I'm extremely tempted to just buy the import on GBA and read a translation guide. Has anyone ever tried that? I can't imagine its real easy.

GameFAQs and Starmen.net both have guides to allow non-Japanese speakers to fumble their way through the game, for those choosing to import. There are plenty of people who didn't want to wait to play it, even though they can't read the text.

I think it's going to be worth it to wait though. A big part of Earthbound is the humor and charm, and you can't get that if you can't read the text.

The Mother3.org group seems like they're further along in the project, but they started earlier. I think the Starmen.net translation is going to be the better one, because it has an all-star team working on it. The who's-who of fan translations: Tomato, Demi, and the guys at Aeon Genesis are all in on it. Nintendo themselves couldn't make a better localization.

Quote Originally Posted by mills View Post
    All things aside I really did not enjoy this game. Nor did I enjoy the SNES release.

Just not my cup of tea?
    It's not for everyone. I tried to show my roommate in college the joys of Earthbound, but he didn't like it either. I think both of you are crazy. I don't know what's not to like about it, but even the most critically praised games have their critics.
    Last edited by Snapple; 02-26-2007 at 02:14 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) CastNoShadow's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    secretsandwich

You can pick up Earthbound Zero at www.gamereproductions.com without having to send in a donor cart. He charges $27.50 and shipping is included. Plus you can pick from 2 different labels. Good quality work too.
    Sell Me Your NES Test Carts & Prototypes!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Blatt
    PSN
    AGBulls

Quote Originally Posted by CastNoShadow View Post
    You can pick up Earthbound Zero at www.gamereproductions.com without having to send in a donor cart. He charges $27.50 and shipping is included. Plus you can pick from 2 different labels. Good quality work too.
    Apparently his site is down. Thats too bad, cause I would have jumped on it!

Insert Coin (Level 0) CastNoShadow's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    secretsandwich

Damn, that is a shame. It was up last night... hopefully it will be up and running again soon.
    Sell Me Your NES Test Carts & Prototypes!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

seems to be back up now- that site goes down all the time, he must get a bunch of work. i got Zelda Outlands from him and very pleased so far. i prefer emulation for rpgs tho, especially the older ones, because it often makes them portable and there really isn't any need for tight control. (own mother for FC)

but i will also second a disappointment in earthbound. i played it for a long time, but the plot just doesn't seem to grab me at all. someday hopefully i will finish it someday. (and earthbound 2 which i haven't even touched yet) but probably not until i finish the entire dragon quest series, which might end up taking forever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Blatt
    PSN
    AGBulls

Quote Originally Posted by spunibard View Post
    seems to be back up now- that site goes down all the time, he must get a bunch of work. i got Zelda Outlands from him and very pleased so far. i prefer emulation for rpgs tho, especially the older ones, because it often makes them portable and there really isn't any need for tight control. (own mother for FC)

but i will also second a disappointment in earthbound. i played it for a long time, but the plot just doesn't seem to grab me at all. someday hopefully i will finish it someday. (and earthbound 2 which i haven't even touched yet) but probably not until i finish the entire dragon quest series, which might end up taking forever.
    How is the quality of the label and the build of the actual cart? Is the label shiny? I just want to make sure it looks exactly like a real production game when I put it in my NES library.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How is the quality of the label and the build of the actual cart? Is the label shiny? I just want to make sure it looks exactly like a real production game when I put it in my NES library.
    Yes its shiny. I've also ordered from this guy myself, good quality on the games

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So you're telling me that you have to provide the person who makes these with a donor cart for them to use? That seems weird that it isn't included for the $25.
    Hi folks! About a year ago, I used to provide the donor cart as well, and charge 35$ for the service. Here are some reasons why you must now provide your own donor cart:

1. It seems that the prices have gone up on NES carts in my neck of the woods (big city), but in many places it hasn't (small towns). Some people would prefer to to save as much $$ as possible. As a result, they buy the cart locally (or use one of their own) and ship it to me. This is much cheaper than me getting it for you.

For example, Tecmo Super Bowl (a "cheap" donor cart for EB) costs ~15$CDN locally! (That's ~12$US!) But I have some customers that find it for 0.99 cents locally, and they ship it to me for less than 2$! (I see the USPS shipping cost when I get the package). Total cost to customer: 28$.

2. Many collectors and gamers are very picky. They want a "mint perfect" cart. Different people have a different understanding of what "mint perfect" is. As a result, what you ship to me is what you get back. A lot of people have e-mailed me saying they like this idea!

I don't want to point any fingers, but I have heard of people that purchased reproductions elsewhere complain to me that the carts they got seemed "beat up with white marks all over the plastic, and black marker writing on the back of the cart". I guess you can never satisfy every one, so I adopted this policy.

Also, I had a couple of customers who wanted this cart in GOLD! So they send me a gold zelda as well, and I put the EB in the gold cart for them.

Another customer actually sent me a red cart! (which they custom painted themselves!)

Again, you can only have this kind of flexibility if you provide the donor cart yourself.

Hope this clears up some confusion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I've been considering getting a copy of Sweet Home off of there, hopefully I'll get around to it someday.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Insert Coin (Level 0) ClockExplosion's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is it just me, or did I know that this was a repro from the fact that Poo is on the label instead of Teddy or whatever that fourth character's name is?
    . : . : . : .

Insert Coin (Level 0) FirstxDegree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I plugged in the game today and took some IN-GAME pictures of the NES Earthbound Game. Enjoy!

My Favorite food... CORN (lol - got to love user inputs)

It's a Hippie.... and yes, I named my character "Pants"...

The Classic Death Scene...

I'm sure this will cause further bashing of the game (or at least this copy of mine... )

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Anyone got a link to the translated 1+2 for GBA? Is the translation any good? Didi they just take the proto script for 1 and the release script for 2 and convert it to GBA rom form?

Just how far along are the M3 translations?

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Your one-stop shop for all your translation needs:
    http://www.romhacking.net/trans/868/
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Nice to see you enjoying the game, FirstxDegree. After all, that's what really matters - that the game is being played and that there are means to play it close as possible to how it was originally intended. I'm surprised (and happy) that the "That's a COPY! Charge for others work blah blah blah..." comments haven't blown into this thread.

One would think by now Nintendo would learn a few things but obviously they haven't which is why Mother 1+2 never was officially released in English - same with Mother 3. If Nintendo doesn't want my money then fan patches and reproduction carts it is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Blatt
    PSN
    AGBulls

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    Nice to see you enjoying the game, FirstxDegree. After all, that's what really matters - that the game is being played and that there are means to play it close as possible to how it was originally intended. I'm surprised (and happy) that the "That's a COPY! Charge for others work blah blah blah..." comments haven't blown into this thread.

One would think by now Nintendo would learn a few things but obviously they haven't which is why Mother 1+2 never was officially released in English - same with Mother 3. If Nintendo doesn't want my money then fan patches and reproduction carts it is.
    I think that is one of things that tends to be true about DP users. Yes, ideally, we want the original copies---for our personal use and our collections. But, we tend to be a very technically savy bunch that is willing to take reproductions if there isn't another legitimate option. In this case, I'll be buying a reproduction solely because Nintendo has chosen to forgo the profit. And, since I can't play an English version any other way, I don't have a problem with it.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like all kinds of games. If I was to get one of these types of games, what reproduction should i get? I always wanted the NWC cart (not to resell of course) but didn't see it. I just wondered what games should I consider and which ones should I avoid.
    YouTube: MasonSushi---- http://www.youtube.com/user/masonsushi
    NintendoAge: MasonSushi
    Licensed NES- Complete....32X Complete
    N64- Complete....Master System (CIB)- 8 left
    TG-16 Hu - Complete

Insert Coin (Level 0) FirstxDegree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    Nice to see you enjoying the game, FirstxDegree. After all, that's what really matters - that the game is being played and that there are means to play it close as possible to how it was originally intended.
    Thanks!
    I really am enjoying it (for being an NES game) it's a nice break from the Wii and PS3 games. I just find all the enemies HILARIOUS! like the Hippie and the pseudozombie. Too Funny!

Also, in case anyone was curious, the system I am playing it in is called a YOBO. it's not really too much to brag about, but it keeps my NES from being used and getting wear-and-tear

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Quote Originally Posted by ClockExplosion View Post
    Is it just me, or did I know that this was a repro from the fact that Poo is on the label instead of Teddy or whatever that fourth character's name is?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too.