Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Well, looks like the Virtual Console might get a little bit better...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

How about Castlevania III with the Famicom Soundtrack

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMania View Post
    Amen to that, I second to that suggestion.
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Meancode
    PSN
    Meancode

On thing in this entire mess scares me. This quote from George Harrison:

"We are aware that there are some very successful Japanese franchises that have a small following in the US, and that they could never be reached by putting these products out at retail. We're open to games released in Japan if we can get them translated properly."

I know its obvious, but I have to ask. What on Earth needs to be "translated properly." For the love of all that is Good in this world, just release them as-is, DO NOT butcher them in "translation."

Or hasn't Harrison figured that out yet?
    Ken Edwards
    Blogcritics.org Editor

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

things are getting better, i was just going to sell my carts and probably download the games... except for like earthbound and such. keep the guides of course

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by meancode View Post
    On thing in this entire mess scares me. This quote from George Harrison:

"We are aware that there are some very successful Japanese franchises that have a small following in the US, and that they could never be reached by putting these products out at retail. We're open to games released in Japan if we can get them translated properly."

I know its obvious, but I have to ask. What on Earth needs to be "translated properly." For the love of all that is Good in this world, just release them as-is, DO NOT butcher them in "translation."

Or hasn't Harrison figured that out yet?
    Actually, I think that guy was taking a jab at translation romhackers like myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm not about to buy anything that hasn't been translated. I doubt Nintendo is interested in selling a game to the 5 people that don't want to understand what is being said during a game.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Some games don't need it, some do. SMB2J doesn't, for example. But I'll be damned if I have to pay to play Mother or Sweet Home in Japanese on my nice new console I plunked $400 into just to be able to download these gems. No disrespect to Kitsune Sniper--I really appreciate what you do, but I want to play these things on a console. In fact, don't ya' wish they'd just cut you a deal and use your translations? Or allow us to run outside roms on an SD card or something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    Some games don't need it, some do. SMB2J doesn't, for example. But I'll be damned if I have to pay to play Mother or Sweet Home in Japanese on my nice new console I plunked $400 into just to be able to download these gems. No disrespect to Kitsune Sniper--I really appreciate what you do, but I want to play these things on a console. In fact, don't ya' wish they'd just cut you a deal and use your translations? Or allow us to run outside roms on an SD card or something.
    None taken. I personally would LOVE to play the games people have translated on a real console, but it's just not possible for me to do so.

I only WISH they'd use the fan-made translations with Japanese games, but this is Nintendo we're talking about. They'd likely send us to jail.
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wonder what would happen if a video game company used a fan's translation for their own without the fan's permission. Unfortunately I haven't gotten to IP law in law school yet, but I wonder if the fan would really have a claim or not...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FantasiaWHT View Post
    I wonder what would happen if a video game company used a fan's translation for their own without the fan's permission. Unfortunately I haven't gotten to IP law in law school yet, but I wonder if the fan would really have a claim or not...
    I only know of US and Canadian law, but it would clearly be copyright violation in those countries.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I imagine Nintendo could release them with no issues. Activision was all set to release hacks of its 2600 titles on Activision Anthology's download service for the PS2 (Had cleared Activision's legal department, detirmined that they owned the pirated hacks done in the 80s since it was their copyrighted code being altered when the pirates had no right to it) before Sony killed the download portion.

So assuming this is the same situation, I'd think Nintendo could if they wanted to (Which I doubt they do).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
    Damn, I was hoping this thread was going to say that the first VC game with multiplayer online support was going to be announced, like Contra 3: Alien Wars with 2 player simultaneous or something.
    Yeah; really the VC will get A LOT better when Nintendo pulls their head out and adds multiplayer online support to the games. Such a terribly wasted opportunity, particularly when Xbox Live has shown how possible it is to add online multiplayer support to classic games. Mario Kart 64 without online multiplayer is easily the biggest gaming dissapointment for me for the past several years. I'm almost infuriated just thinking about it. Despite the pedigree of many of the games, the VC still pales next to the updated options that almost all Xbox Live Arcade titles offer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    I only know of US and Canadian law, but it would clearly be copyright violation in those countries.
    See I'm not quite so sure... did the fan really have the "right" to produce a translation in the first place? If the fan didn't have that "right", which of the fan's "rights" has the company violated by using it themselves? You may be correct, but I don't think the issue is really very clear.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FantasiaWHT View Post
    See I'm not quite so sure... did the fan really have the "right" to produce a translation in the first place? If the fan didn't have that "right", which of the fan's "rights" has the company violated by using it themselves? You may be correct, but I don't think the issue is really very clear.
    The concept at play is that of additional copyrighting. Basically, in copyright, you own the expression of a certain concept. Not the underlying concept, just your expression of that concept.

The developer owns the copyright to the original work. The fan does not. What is the fan adding when he creates his work? Just the translation. He has no interest in the original. BUT, the developer did not create the translation, they only own the original work and no more.

So, the fan could not release his translation, because he does not own the copyright to the original work. He only owns the translation.

The developer could not release the fan's translation, because they do not own the copyright to the translation.

The only solution is for (1) the fan to license the original work, (2) the developer to license the translation, or (3) the developer to create their own translation based on their own original work.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    But sometimes, this stripping brought out BETTER music. See Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa and Castlevania II for good examples.
    Totally. I think the JP CVII music sucks in comparison.

Well that was from a custom Konami sound chip, but that was pretty good too.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    The only solution is for (1) the fan to license the original work, (2) the developer to license the translation, or (3) the developer to create their own translation based on their own original work.
    Actually, in the case of a few of us... we don't mind if they took and used our translation patches, as long as they ask us nicely.

And maybe give us money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    Actually, in the case of a few of us... we don't mind if they took and used our translation patches, as long as they ask us nicely.

And maybe give us money.
    Well, that's more or less what licensing is. Along with signing a bajillion legal documents.
    "Dost thou love me?" "No" "But thou must!"

My Video Game Journal

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well this is certainly good to hear. Will be infinately better (and a glorious day) when (if) it's announced. Next thing they need to do is online multiplayer and rankings. Guarantee this won't happen until some WiFi Wii titles come out. Maybe sometime after. Just don't make us re-purchase updated games on VC if/when you do, ok N.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives