Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Japanese vs. U.S. games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Japanese vs. U.S. games

Lately I have been buying a lot of Saturn games, both US and Japanese versions. One thing that I have noticed is that for the most part, the Japanese games that I get are in much better shape than the US games. Is there something about the type of person who buys Japanese games that they take better care of them, or is it that they get opened, but never played. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this.

JY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

Maybe Americans are not take care of their things?

American who are own Japan video games are more likely to be connoisseur and therefore are take better care of their things?

I like to take great care in my things. -- I am also play all my video games. Japan Sega Saturn is offer many nice games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not too sure about JPN games as I only have 1 Saturn game still for there, however for EU releases they aren't taken too much care of. I bought several off one person and although the discs aren't that scratched up the plastic pieces that hold the discs in place are all broken off and whatnot.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know what you mean. I just got a PS2 JPN game, and it is in better shape then any NTSC game I have ever bought.
    Mega Man Games: 3/???
    Xbox Game Count: 15

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can rent games in japan right? That must contribute to it somewhat. I also wonder if the average age of japanese saturn owners was higher than that of US owners.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

well part of it is they are imported so the prices are higher and the buyers are fans/hardcore so they take care of the stuff. Japanese just seem like they would take better care of games possibly because of their love of the hobby and prices. I've noticed US games tend to be in poor condition also.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

It may not sound very politically correct, but, yeah, Japanese people tend to take better care of their possessions. I mean, sure, if you're buying a Japanese game from an American, then they are more likely to be a collector and diehard gamer, so they'll be more inclined to take care of their stuff than a casual American gamer that would never consider playing an imported video game. However, I find that when you by direct from Japan, you'll end up with better condition games across the gamut of Japanese gamers than you'd get with the same broad spectrum of American gamers.

And it's not just video games. I've bought second hand music CDs, books, posters, you name it, and I'm always amazed at the condition Japanese people keep their items in. The general rule I apply to buying used stuff online is: if it's coming from Japan, expect the item to be in better condition than the description makes it out to be, and if it's coming from the US, expect the item to be in worse condition than the description makes it out to be.
    Last edited by Aussie2B; 09-13-2007 at 06:36 PM.

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

So true.

I've bought 10 year old JPN Saturn games that look fresh out of the wrapper....and I've seen and passed on 1 month old games at the local GameStop that looked like someone handled it after eating fried chicken and cinnamon rolls.

*readies pitchfork and torch*

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Have to agree with Aussie... I've hardly ever had a game from a Japanese seller that hasn't been in excellent condition. I believe they do just look after them better.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    It may not sound very politically correct, but, yeah, Japanese people tend to take better care of their possessions...And it's not just video games. I've bought second hand music CDs, books, posters, you name it, and I'm always amazed at the condition Japanese people keep their items in. The general rule I apply to buying used stuff online is: if it's coming from Japan, expect the item to be in better condition than the description makes it out to be, and if it's coming from the US, expect the item to be in worse condition than the description makes it out to be.
    100% true. Everything I've ever gotten from Japan has been in great shape...often when they say something is in "good" condition, it's excellent/near mint.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All the second hand items I've received from Japan have also been in excellent condition. It's probably related to cultural difference, perhaps that strange "discipline your children" thing we don't have over here.
    Last edited by XYXZYZ; 09-13-2007 at 08:31 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XYXZYZ View Post
    All the second hand items I've received from Japan have also been in excellent condition. It's probably related to cultural difference, perhaps that strange "discipline your children" thing we don't have over here.
    I agree. I have been able to score items from Japan (and Australia, and England) that were just in mint (many times new) shape. Actually, I don't think I have ever purchased some beat to crap game from an overseas seller in my importing history, period.

In the USA on the other hand, it is difficult to find anything "mint" it seems. Took me a dozen Genesis console purchases to get one with minimal scratches (almost new looking), and games...well....I have had to re-purchase a few just to get better copies.

Kids in the USA just beat their stuff up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used to frequent a couple of used games stores in Okinawa, and they spoiled the shit out of me. I never saw a disc-only game (this was ~98-01, so PS1/DC era) and a lot of the SFami stuff still had boxes in pretty good shape. Hell, the spine card was even frequently included.

It's a pretty big difference between the shape of most used games that you find in your typical used game store in the US. Maybe its a cultural thing, maybe it's just a higher average age thing, either way, finding a used game that didn't look like shit was a hell of a lot easier there.

Hopefully one of these days I'll be able to get back

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Hybreed
    PSN
    Casualfever

Japanese games look very VERY good compared to the european shit. I find it hard to find a game that still has the spikes holding the cd in place. Well I can relate because in the case of some of my ps1 games,there's hardly any spikes left. It has something to do with it being hard plastic and if it gets knocked around or is loose in a bag when you're taking it with you to play,the spikes will break.

Maybe it's that europe has shit plastic? Because the cd in any game is still in nm condition,with no scratches whatsoever.
    Dracula: The constant villain of the series. His usual tactics include breaking a number of wine glasses and transforming into his true form.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Probably so. Korean kids keep their stuff (at least the stuff I see of theirs at school) in immaculate shape.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Honestly, I wouldn't say that the disciplining of children in Japan has anything to do with it. Japanese children are more often than not single children who are quite spoiled by their parents (at least their mothers as their father is often considered mainly with work).

I think the fact is that in Japan it is just their culture to take good care of things. I think another part is merely that stuff being sold in the US from Japan is usually chosen for good condition items that will bring more money.

While you can certainly find a lot of boxed Famicom/Super Famicom games in great condition, there are tons more than are cart only with half scratched off labels and "TAKAHASHI" written on the back in permanent marker.

As a people, the Japanese are just more meticulous about certain details. Cleanliness and organization being two of the larger virtues.

1 Hit Point
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Yakapucci View Post
    Lately I have been buying a lot of Saturn games, both US and Japanese versions. One thing that I have noticed is that for the most part, the Japanese games that I get are in much better shape than the US games. Is there something about the type of person who buys Japanese games that they take better care of them, or is it that they get opened, but never played. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this.

JY
    YES, THE JAPANESE ACTUALLY KNOW HOW TO TAKE CARE OF THEIR STUFF. I AM WRITING THIS IN CAPS ON PURPOSE. AS A VIDE GAME DEALER ON THE SIDE, I WISH US GAMERS WOULD TAKE NOTE!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

and some second hand UK stuff....urgh, sometimes just disgusting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man, it's so hard to find used PS1 games with non-scuffed jewel cases or PS2/GCN/Xbox/etc. games in DVD style game cases where the clear plastic doesn't have those nasty round scuffs towards the spine or scratches here in the U.S.

Anyone else out there like me who handle their DVD cases by the edges and try their hardest not to even touch the clear plastic?

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Isn't it semi-illegal to resell video games in Japan?

Seriously.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."