Thread: Design your own video game store:

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Strawberry (Level 2) Wolfrider31's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Assuming that you are starting a mom and pop shop, I'd split my focus 50/50 on classic/import gaming and the modern stuff. The only reason I'm suggesting having a large segment of your store be classic/import is that, judging from my own buying habits and those of my friends, I have a tendency to either shop online for newer stuff or pop into the larger chains. Just because their prices tend to be cheaper and they're more likely to have a larger stock.

Mom and pop chains usually draw my attention when they offer used, hard to find stuff.
    Order Pier Solar at www.piersolar.com

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmmm....

I've always tries to identify why the mom and pop stores fail.

1.) Many seem to have issues getting new games at a decent price and then selling through them before they lose their value. You have to attract customers to your store to buy these new releases.
    2.) They virtually never advertise...
    3.) They under price many of their games (espeacially rare ones) to beat Gamestop...
    4.) They offer too much in trade sometimes.
    5.) They do not maintain enough inventory...

I think #5 is the only obstacle, espeacially on older games - they don't seem to get traded in like they used to.

We have one store near me that seems to have a 'source' for all their games and DVD's. They have a ton of inventory, new espeacially, and it defies the odds. You might gain this advantage by franchising (what do I know), but you should establish waht it will cost to sell new releases immediately.

Expect to work 100hrs a week and do not hire anyone until your making money...

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

I don't have any experience in this type of business and I've just begun my business education. (Pre-Law/Business Admin) I'll share my thoughts based on what I wish I had in my area. If you can make them work & turn a profit, then maybe I'll swing by your shop one day & participate in the fun.

I'd love to have a gaming club in my area. Spanning from classic systems to new ones. Something like this may be good for residual income. A customer comes in & purchases a game, then you sell them a spot in the club for a monthly fee. (just a thought) The club meets once a month (or every 2 weeks...whatever) and get down on some hardcore gaming. You could have a 2600 night, Saturn night, NES night, etc. The evening starts organized but becomes a little more relaxed after the competition is over. You start with a roundtable discussion about the system you'll be focusing on for the night. People share some stories, discuss some topics, and have a few Mountain Dews. Take a 15 minute break while everybody gets prepared for the gaming. From there, it's just gaming for 2 or 3 hours. You send a newsletter regarding what's planned for the next meeting, that will keep it in peoples minds. Include a couple coupons in it to encourage non club member customers to sign up for the newsletter. Before a new game comes out, start promoting the meeting that will take place about 2 weeks after the release of the game. That gives people time to buy it and practice. Club members get a small discount if they purchase the game from you. Maybe you could skip the whole monthly fee and just do a month to month thing. By that I mean, "buy Halo 3 here and join us for a release party." The game price includes pizza & drinks. Unfortunately, there is usually a very very small margin of profit in new games so that may not work. I don't know, you're the business expert. :P
    That's what i wish I had in my area. How many other people would take the time to participate in something like that? I don't have a clue. I just know I would.

I wish you good fortune!!

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMoniker View Post
    I don't have any experience in this type of business and I've just begun my business education. (Pre-Law/Business Admin) I'll share my thoughts based on what I wish I had in my area. If you can make them work & turn a profit, then maybe I'll swing by your shop one day & participate in the fun.

I'd love to have a gaming club in my area. Spanning from classic systems to new ones. Something like this may be good for residual income. A customer comes in & purchases a game, then you sell them a spot in the club for a monthly fee. (just a thought) The club meets once a month (or every 2 weeks...whatever) and get down on some hardcore gaming. You could have a 2600 night, Saturn night, NES night, etc. The evening starts organized but becomes a little more relaxed after the competition is over. You start with a roundtable discussion about the system you'll be focusing on for the night. People share some stories, discuss some topics, and have a few Mountain Dews. Take a 15 minute break while everybody gets prepared for the gaming. From there, it's just gaming for 2 or 3 hours. You send a newsletter regarding what's planned for the next meeting, that will keep it in peoples minds. Include a couple coupons in it to encourage non club member customers to sign up for the newsletter. Before a new game comes out, start promoting the meeting that will take place about 2 weeks after the release of the game. That gives people time to buy it and practice. Club members get a small discount if they purchase the game from you. Maybe you could skip the whole monthly fee and just do a month to month thing. By that I mean, "buy Halo 3 here and join us for a release party." The game price includes pizza & drinks. Unfortunately, there is usually a very very small margin of profit in new games so that may not work. I don't know, you're the business expert. :P
    That's what i wish I had in my area. How many other people would take the time to participate in something like that? I don't have a clue. I just know I would.

I wish you good fortune!!
    I think that would be fun as hell. Instead of giving the games to the players and ushering them out of the store so they can go home and play them, why not let them hang out for a while? I for one would be willing to pay a bit more to have a better atmosphere, a better sense of community and the opportunity to play against flesh and blood people more often. I know it's being done already (DP we look proudly in your direction, for example) but there really needs to be more places like that. Encourage the kids to get together, play and socialize rather than just let them sit in their basements and rot.

Good luck on your venture, I always like to see more mom & popish stores dot the map.

1 Hit Point
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kaedesdisciple View Post
    I think that would be fun as hell. Instead of giving the games to the players and ushering them out of the store so they can go home and play them, why not let them hang out for a while? I for one would be willing to pay a bit more to have a better atmosphere, a better sense of community and the opportunity to play against flesh and blood people more often. I know it's being done already (DP we look proudly in your direction, for example) but there really needs to be more places like that. Encourage the kids to get together, play and socialize rather than just let them sit in their basements and rot.

Good luck on your venture, I always like to see more mom & popish stores dot the map.
    These are all great ideas! Thanks again guys.

BTW: This is something I am considering doing within the next 9-18 months. As you can see from my location I am in pennsylvania. There are a lot of game stores in my direct area, so the store would probably be located near the Allentown area. There seems to be less game stores in that area (if you know the area-you know what I mean).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You may want to look into hosting a gathering around there and seeing how large your local gaming scene is. Of course not everyone will show up but it can give you a feel for your community.

I believe the best starter is to buy bulk eBay auctions that'll give you games for under a dollar to just a few each so they can be resold for at least a small profit. It'll help fill your shelves and give a decent selection to start off.

Not sure about PA but around here what I do see flip the quickly are Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo goods. Slower moving companies are Atari, Sega, 3DO and PC/MAC.The thing about Sega and Atari though is if a collector of a system walks in they'll buy most of the stock at once, same with Nintendo on occassion.

Buy 2 get 1 equal/lesser value free works well with 8 and 16-bit games. Don't know how much that matters but that's what most people around here offer at their stores and it's not bad. Be sure you set a high enough profit to overcome the expense of free games though.

For trade-ins offer a bit more back as in-store credit. i.e. buy games for 60% your selling price and if they take in-store credit then they get 70%. This also helps you because sometimes younger kids will want to accrual their assets in your hands for a later day.

Absolutely offer tournaments! I can't express it much more but it'll create a gamer base around your store and will attract new customers interested in your events. Also having extra TVs setup for people to play newly purchased games or even test something out is a good idea. Funcoland comes to mind, you know they had one of the most awesome setups for a gamestore I've ever seen.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuken View Post
    I've always tries to identify why the mom and pop stores fail.

1.) Many seem to have issues getting new games at a decent price and then selling through them before they lose their value. You have to attract customers to your store to buy these new releases.
    2.) They virtually never advertise...
    3.) They under price many of their games (espeacially rare ones) to beat Gamestop...
    4.) They offer too much in trade sometimes.
    5.) They do not maintain enough inventory...
    I can agree with a lot of that. I think #1 is the biggest concern, though. Basically assume that you will not make any money selling new games, but that you will have to sell them just to get people in the door. Getting stuck with inventory is a killer, because I don't think independent stores can get the same sort of return-at-a-discount deal that the big retailers do with publishers.

One thing I have noticed with indie stores is the more you turn it into a place to hang out, the better you will do. Have games to play for free, have tournaments, nice comfy, soft chairs. If your area doesn't have one, offer a table or two for TCG players. Have a soda machine and snacks for sale. Most of my friends don't play video games, so, even at my age, I would really enjoy a place where I could always find somebody to play a game MP with.

Good luck and keep us up to date with what's going on!