Thread: Help with Genesis 2 S-Video mod (CXA1145M encoder) - No signal. - FIXED!!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Nice work to get it working! I figure I'll wrap up the last of this thread's questions...

Quote Originally Posted by izarate View Post
    The cable can get through the little hole that is in the right side on the back of the Genesis (what was it for anyway?).
    The little hole on the back usually has a small threadded plate on the inside, looks kinda like a little M. It's the first part that goes missing when you open the console unless you're expecting it to fall out. The hole and threadded plate are there to accept a small screw that holds the Power Base Converter in place - completely useless since it doesn't require being screwed down to the system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    GrantCanyon

Default nice

nice,thanks 4 the pix
    800,2600,5200,7800,C64,Intellivision,NES1+2,NEX,SM S 1+2,GENNY1-3,CDi,SEGA CD1+2,SNES1+2,TG16,VB,N64(Reg,blue,green),Saturn1+ 2,PS,PSone w/LCD,PS2,Xbox,NGPC,GG,GB,GBC,GBA,GBA SP,Game.com,WonderSwan,Lynx I+II,3D0fz1+10,PICO,Nomad,GP32,DC(reg+sport),GC (2of3),SuperFamicom,MVS, Neo Geo CD,Super Compact+Futbal edition,PSP,360,Wii,DS

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    Nice work to get it working! I figure I'll wrap up the last of this thread's questions...

The little hole on the back usually has a small threadded plate on the inside, looks kinda like a little M. It's the first part that goes missing when you open the console unless you're expecting it to fall out. The hole and threadded plate are there to accept a small screw that holds the Power Base Converter in place - completely useless since it doesn't require being screwed down to the system.
    I lost my screwy thing! lol

seriously though, even though I modded my model 1 system with RCA stereo jacks and component video, I try to keep all stock parts in it, and that seems to be the only missing part.

Crap, to a local junk yard to find an old dead Genny for it's M screwy thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    GrantCanyon

looks like i might have fried something cause now even with the normal setting the screen is very dark. Ugh at least i tried it on a spare one and not the good one.

Do you have pictures of the bottom of this mod?
    Thanks
    Last edited by 77punk; 10-24-2008 at 01:30 PM.
    800,2600,5200,7800,C64,Intellivision,NES1+2,NEX,SM S 1+2,GENNY1-3,CDi,SEGA CD1+2,SNES1+2,TG16,VB,N64(Reg,blue,green),Saturn1+ 2,PS,PSone w/LCD,PS2,Xbox,NGPC,GG,GB,GBC,GBA,GBA SP,Game.com,WonderSwan,Lynx I+II,3D0fz1+10,PICO,Nomad,GP32,DC(reg+sport),GC (2of3),SuperFamicom,MVS, Neo Geo CD,Super Compact+Futbal edition,PSP,360,Wii,DS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You shouldn't use the same layout unless the circuit board is the same I used.

Here is the picture of the bottom of the board I used:

The S-Video pinout is fine. Just remember that the pinout is reversed in the female side (the one you'll solder).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    GrantCanyon

Im using just left over plain circuit board so i can easily copy yours. I think i fried the last system but i did spend some money so im going to attemp it again. I wish i had a better camera.
    The only area im skeptical in is the pin 15 and 16 entering into the capacitor. It should go through the yellow disk shaped thing on one leg and go into the blue capacitor with the flow of the arrow?

Quote Originally Posted by izarate View Post
    You shouldn't use the same layout unless the circuit board is the same I used.

Here is the picture of the bottom of the board I used:

The S-Video pinout is fine. Just remember that the pinout is reversed in the female side (the one you'll solder).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The capacitors must be placed in parallel, and the signal from pins 15, 16 must enter the dielectric capacitor from the negative side. The negative side is the one with the arrows so, if I understood you well, your capacitor is backwards.

The ceramic capacitor doesn't have polarity so it doesn't matter how you place it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    GrantCanyon

so yeah.. Im at the drawing board again. I got black and white picture but no color sometimes it looks like there is color but maybe when it pulls to much it drains the color signal or something. I have swapped about the pin and s-vid plug just to make sure both circuits were right and they are. I get the same output. ANy suggestions? I have tried about everything with the transistors unless the middle pin should go somewhere else. I bought the transistors from the shack and it had the layout of them on the back of the box so im 99.9% sure of its correctness..