Thread: repair of a 2600

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default repair of a 2600

i haven't touched a 2600 since my mom threw my old one out (that whore...) and i'm looking at one that is in excellent condition, but untested as the seller doesn't have an rf adapter. should i buy this without it's condition know aside form nearly mint cosmetics (which would lead me to believe it has a good chance of working fine) what would i be looking at if it doesn't work? worst case scenarios...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

worst case scenario- the unit is tested- it does not work at all- and the seller is unscrupulous and knows 'untested' sells better than 'known broken'. This happens all the time.

Does the seller have any other similar video game systems for sale that are tested? If so, why are some tested and not others right?
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only nonworking 2600 that I've ever seen was phisical damage, such as broken switch, cracked case, and broken controlers just to name a few. If he can't test it, and you can't test it, then try to chew him down on the price. Most of my 2600's I've bought for $5 each due to nobody can test them. How much are they wanting for it?

Besides, the 2600 doesn't have an rf adapter. If that is the info from the seller, they don't know what they have.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

it's on ebay and it comes with 2 paddles, 4 joysticks and 16 games. the pics look clean and the box looks to be in almost new condition (which is what drew me to it more than others). I'm looking for a system as close to mint as I can find. And what would the adapter be called? my grandparents had the 2600 ever since i can remember, and it was handed down to me and i have always known is as an rf adapter. it may be a common misconception to people who aren't video game gurus like the average joe or someone who's been out of the vintage systems for years. what woud a good condition unknown working system like this with all games be worth?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    Besides, the 2600 doesn't have an rf adapter. If that is the info from the seller, they don't know what they have.
    Then what would you call an RF switchbox? You need either an RF switchbox or a phono to type F adapter, which will change the RF lead to a standard screw on type coaxial (cable) connector.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    Then what would you call an RF switchbox? You need either an RF switchbox or a phono to type F adapter, which will change the RF lead to a standard screw on type coaxial (cable) connector.
    And the F adapters are only $5 at radioshack(cheaper elsewhere). The radioshack guy was trying to argue with me that this wouldn't work even though I was 100% sure it would. They know nothing about electronics.

If his feedback and all that looks good then I'd go for it.