Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: collectors: do you buy two copies of the same game?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    Yeah a retailer here marked down all their PSP/360/PS2 games that were discontinued to $5. I picked up $200 worth. Kingdom Hearts II was the highlight of that one, and Dirge, bunch of 2007 sports titles... it's really sad how games have started to be treated like DVDs now. Bargain bin clearance of anything that isn't new...
    Games have always been clearanced out in this fashion. For example, I can recall $0.99 Atari games dumped into a bin at KB Toys when I was a kid.

What's different now is how FAST games are clearanced. But with the glut of games on the market, I guess it's not a big suprise to see games that had come out just months before being moved out for 75% or more off the retail price.
    "Be proud of what we make you do." - Master Shake, SGC2C - Baffler Meal
    Blog time!
    On Facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by marcus12024 View Post
    This method of purchasing hurts the developers (and everyone else involved in making/producing games) an awful lot. I can't believe that someone could think this behavior is acceptable - I mean, you're getting something for free, and then just picking it up cheaply at your leisure in the future. You may want to argue with something like "at least I'm picking up a copy eventually", but unless you are buying a copy from a store at full price down the line, you're hurting the industry...especially if you're buying used copies. The only way this practice would be okay is if you were buying a new game near release (or at least at regular price in a store) and then simply kept it sealed. Maybe I'm just nitpicking, but piracy's always been a sore spot with me.
    So what you're saying is unless he pays full price for the game its cheating the industry? So i guess a game on sale is not giving the developers their due?

I, as well have modded systems and purchase a game and keep it sealed. I play the burned copy. I own EVERY game i burn and this is my way of having my cake and eating it too. I buy the game and get a burned copy to play.

By law you can make 1 backup copy of any software, music cd or game you own.

Please explain to me your definition of pirating?

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by tkusina View Post
    So what you're saying is unless he pays full price for the game its cheating the industry? So i guess a game on sale is not giving the developers their due?

I, as well have modded systems and purchase a game and keep it sealed. I play the burned copy. I own EVERY game i burn and this is my way of having my cake and eating it too. I buy the game and get a burned copy to play.

Well, pirating would be making a profit with someone else's IP and not giving the owner of that IP their due. So basically GameStop.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only game I would own two copies of is "Outrun: Coast 2 Coast" for XBOX simply because the copy I have it is the only (physical) one I have ever seen.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench

This isn't entirely true.

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-digital.html
    You are not permitted under section 117 to make a backup copy of other material on a computer's hard drive, such as other copyrighted works that have been downloaded (e.g., music, films).
    I'm not saying you're right or wrong, but that's the case.

Buying sealed games and only playing copies is a bit asinine though.
    "Be proud of what we make you do." - Master Shake, SGC2C - Baffler Meal
    Blog time!
    On Facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    gutpocket

I found 2 copies of Disgaea 2 sealed for 11.99 each they are staying sealed at least for a few years until i try to sell them. I always buy sealed games I already have and keep them that way if they are cheap (exapmle: 2 Drill Dozers for GBA 2.99 each sealed.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nothing against the sealed collectors, but I'm not one of them. The only sealed games I own are a few in my PS2, Gamecube, and GBA backlogs that will be opened and played one of these days.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Push Upstairs View Post
    The only game I would own two copies of is "Outrun: Coast 2 Coast" for XBOX simply because the copy I have it is the only (physical) one I have ever seen.
    Check Blockbuster... they're really clearing out their games. I found one 6 months ago for 14.99 missing the manual- and another CIB for 6.99 3 days ago. Of course, that is if you live around a Blockbuster. Sometimes you have to check as often as once a week. I just found the guy game at one too.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Domestic... is that a Gremlins 2 shot in your avatar?

On topic... I wouldn't buy 2 copies of a game for collecting reasons. But then, I haven't bought a new game in a very long time. Well, I bought guild wars and Half Life 2 for PC new and close to launch. But I can't recall the last console game I bought new. In fact, now that I think about it, I don't think I ever have. My parents let us get SMB, Castlevania, and Blades of Steel when we finally got an NES; then I think we got a couple more new games (Bubble Bobble and Winter Games, I know for sure), but everything since then I think has been used.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Joe Dante at his best... it's actually the top of a building in Kansas City, MO. I shead a tear for Looney Toons: Back In Action.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I do it sometime if they are cheap. I would re-sell it or trade it with other games on Craigslist.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Buying two copies of a game and keeping one sealed implies a profit motive. Games are just a fun hobby of mine and I'm completely comfortable accepting them as a financial loss - like any other form of entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Push Upstairs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDomesticInstitution View Post
    Check Blockbuster... they're really clearing out their games. I found one 6 months ago for 14.99 missing the manual- and another CIB for 6.99 3 days ago. Of course, that is if you live around a Blockbuster. Sometimes you have to check as often as once a week. I just found the guy game at one too.

That's my experience as well. Every Blockbuster in my area had copies of the game for sell almost immediately after it was released, so I've seen quite a few. I bought one new for $29.99 and a used one for $7.99 much much later from them. Can't say I enjoy the Outrun's, though. You intentionaly bash into another car and it just jumps up, spins around in the air, lands on all fours and keeps on going. I'm a much bigger fan of Burnout.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Dr. Conspiracy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Like routine cadaver inspection, the Doctor has uncovered a most interesting conversation by digging deep, lifted from the Admin Tower verbatim:

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker
    I'm itching for a topic to lock, but these days it just doesn't do anything for me unless it's a potentially useful thread. Maybe Darth Sensei will get a bug up his ass and push the torrent issue again. God! Just thinking about it gets me hot and bothered.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandAmChandler
    I'll be your JOB

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got multiple copies of a few games, mostly because they are desirable and make good trade bait later (lessee, Metal Wolf Chaos, Judgment Silversword, and GC Ikaruga come to mind off the top of my head). But I never trade jack, so I just accumulate and accumulate.

At least I don't do it often!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Please read before commenting, as you have totally missed the point - nowhere in my post did I say what you are implying. It's perfectly fine to wait and buy games when they are on sale, and then play through them. Why would anyone have a problem with that? I'm not interested in getting into a huge discussion over this (that has been had by countless others way too many times), but I had a problem with the following statement, specifically:

Quote Originally Posted by skaar
    Also helps not to have to pay $80 for a game I can get for $20-30 a year later.
    It would seem he plays a burn of a game as soon as it comes out, but then doesn't actually purchase a copy until the price has dropped. I just don't understand this logic - why not play the stuff that you can get for cheap right now, and just continue to play this way? It's not like there's some massive shortage of cheap, quality titles at any point in time.

I will admit I've been guilty of the "I want to play this game now, but it won't hit Canada for another month", so I'll download and play a copy until it's released here, but I will buy it as soon as it comes out, especially if I finish the game or play it a lot before it comes out. I don't finish the game using the burnt copy, then wait and pick the game up a year later for a third of the price. I'm not sure why it's hard to understand my logic?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A sealed game would be great but i am a poor pupil, so I only buy one copy and take care of it.