Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: We need Collector's Editions.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sirhansirhan View Post
    The RosenQueen exclusive CE Mana Khemia is the coolest I've seen come along in a while--limited to 1000 pieces, good crap inside, low price, sold out in a week or so... I'm glad I got my order in for it.
    I pre-ordered one and really all we are getting is a figure in a box. The other items come with the limited edition which is the only retail version they are going to release right now. I am curious if it is a specific box for the US release or just the same Japanese box in which case I am going to be very disappointed since I paid $10 for the box and a figure I will never use.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Many Collector's Editions are just as they ar enamed- for the collector's and the die-hard fans of the titles who enjoy the extra bells and whistles. I think the last CE I got was for FF12 (game and the strat guide)- and the extras included with them were actually pretty intresting.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar View Post
    Irrelevant. This thread is about making higher quality limited editions of console games that already have a large print run in their original, cheaper form.
    Uh huh... in release quantities of 500 units or less. Irrelevant indeed.

Why not just say it without the pretense? Just outright ask developers to make super-ultra kicky fast rare-if-not-unique variants for only you. In a decade or two you can retire off the eBay auction revenues. Now that is SO relevant.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 03-13-2008 at 11:23 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

What I think would make a good collectors edition is this: say for the Castlevania: PoR for DS, instead of pre-order bonuses, they could include all the same stuff packaged with the game, and sell it as a collectors edition. I'm glad they didn't charge extra for that particular one, but still, if something like that stuff came packed in a collectors game, it would make it all the more worthwhile. Or stuff like CE only game content, skins for controllers or systems, mini cardboard stand ups for a desk in a collector's room, maybe even a disk with a cartoon based on the game or something. I stopped buying collectors editions of games because it never maintains its value (obviously), it doesn't always have good extra content, and they are hardly ever hard to find after initially being sold. I think game companies should look at what other things besides the game itself that people are collecting that has to do with games and bundle stuff like that with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
    How about COLLECTED editions. Graphic novels for videogames.
    Been done in Japan for ages. I've got a few of them, like the super-silly manga for Undercover Cops.

Something where they pack together all the previous games in a franchise along with the newest release.
    Contra 4 came pretty close in this area.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If what you really want is unreleased concept art and unreleased soundtracks, then go out and buy those. It'll cost ya a lot less then $400. The fact they're not easy to find is the whole point, isn't it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Whenever there's a special/collector's edition of a game that interests me and isn't too pricey, I'll get it. So what's the point in getting an expensive (well, compared to the normal set) collector's edition which isn't even exclusive or anything? It just makes me feel like those old days when games were more than just a DVD-cover and a .pdf-manual - yeah, those cardboard boxes sure took a hell of a lot space but were worth it.

Or is it just nostalgia.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like DMC4's approach to ultra-limited collector editions with the whole randomly signed and sealed CEs. That's just snappy as hell.

For normal collector's editions, I wish more games would follow in the lead of high quality initial releases like God of War I and II (with a nice assortment of interesting behind the scenes and deleted scenes stuff) or rereleases like Metal Gear Solid 1, 2 and 3 (Integral was neat, Substance was hot, Subsistence was amazing).

As nice of a bundle as Civilization Chronicles was, I really do wish that the bonus video DVD had been a bit better fleshed out... I mean, the G4 Icons episode was nice and all, but you'd think they would have included more promotional videos from throughout the series (who didn't love the Civ Addicts Anonymous video?) or perhaps some more features on the evolution of the series. But hey, it included the card game! Now if only I could track down a copy of the board game and give it a shot with those new open source rules...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    Uh huh... in release quantities of 500 units or less. Irrelevant indeed.

Why not just say it without the pretense? Just outright ask developers to make super-ultra kicky fast rare-if-not-unique variants for only you. In a decade or two you can retire off the eBay auction revenues. Now that is SO relevant.
    You misunderstand. Limited editions of games can be made in small print runs, but there will (hopefully) always also be a regular release that will be produced in normal numbers. That way, people who don't care about the extra stuff can still play the game and the publisher can make some extra money selling limited editions with extra stuff to the people who care about it.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

You misunderstand. Limited editions of games can be made in small print runs, but there will (hopefully) always also be a regular release that will be produced in normal numbers. That way, people who don't care about the extra stuff can still play the game and the publisher can make some extra money selling limited editions with extra stuff to the people who care about it.
    They already do this. While the print run may not be as limited as you like, the whole point of limited editions has been to include extra stuff for people who are interested and willing to pay extra money for it. Since many limited editions sell out already, I'm not sure what benefit an even more limited run would have for the developer. In fact, given the costs associated with different art, cases and extras, a run of 500 would have to be incredibly expensive and would probably piss off more people than it would please.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    They already do this. While the print run may not be as limited as you like, the whole point of limited editions has been to include extra stuff for people who are interested and willing to pay extra money for it. Since many limited editions sell out already, I'm not sure what benefit an even more limited run would have for the developer. In fact, given the costs associated with different art, cases and extras, a run of 500 would have to be incredibly expensive and would probably piss off more people than it would please.
    Ok, let's say 5,000 instead of 500. I don't even buy limited editions, but I think that there's no reason why they shouldn't be made available to the people who want them as both to have something cool for their favorite game and have something that might increase in value as time goes on.

Releasing extremely high print runs of a "limited edition" and only including a making of DVD is what people are complaining about in this thread.

EDIT: Disney, Marvel, DC, etc. do extremely limited editions of things all the time. I'm sure if game publishers did this they could make it worth their while.

I actually think a three-tier system is good.

Tier One: You've got the game and just the game.

Tier Two: Special Edition with a steelbook and making of DVD.

Tier Three: Limited Edition with an art book, soundtrack, etc, with a limited print run.

The limited edition should be the only version with a limited print run; the rest can be reprinted as time goes on. Making the limited edition actually limited would spur collectors on to buy it thinking of it as an investment, and people who just like the steelbook wouldn't have to worry about them selling out immediately.
    Last edited by boatofcar; 03-13-2008 at 07:37 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Ok, let's say 5,000 instead of 500. I don't even buy limited editions, but I think that there's no reason why they shouldn't be made available to the people who want them as both to have something cool for their favorite game and have something that might increase in value as time goes on.

Releasing extremely high print runs of a "limited edition" and only including a making of DVD is what people are complaining about in this thread.

EDIT: Disney, Marvel, DC, etc. do extremely limited editions of things all the time. I'm sure if game publishers did this they could make it worth their while.

I actually think a three-tier system is good.

Tier One: You've got the game and just the game.

Tier Two: Special Edition with a steelbook and making of DVD.

Tier Three: Limited Edition with an art book, soundtrack, etc, with a limited print run.

The limited edition should be the only version with a limited print run; the rest can be reprinted as time goes on. Making the limited edition actually limited would spur collectors on to buy it thinking of it as an investment, and people who just like the steelbook wouldn't have to worry about them selling out immediately.
    They did this with Halo 3 and couldn't sell out of the highest end limited edition. Admittedly, the run was a lot more than 5,000 but still a very small percentage of the total print run. As I said earlier, this makes limited editions a manufactured collectible and unlikely to maintain their value, especially as speculators look to cash in. That's exactly what happened with sports cards and comics and look at how that market has contracted. If you want limited items, you can always collect press only stuff or buy the promo items that companies often sell through their web stores. I just don't see what the point of doing a very limited run of a game would be as unlike a comic or sports card, the per unit art and packaging costs are much higher, making the risk of having excess stock much higher to the manufacturer.