Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Does anyone else wait for a system to die off before getting into it? (Gamecube)

Cherry (Level 1) DaBargainHunta's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I do buy systems when they're new-ish, but I love when they begin to die off because I can really stock up on games for dirt cheap.

GameCube, though - as people have pointed out - is a pain to collect for now. It's hard to find used games, and the ones that are available tend to be overpriced. It's definitely because of the Wii. Even though I own a Cube, buying a Wii absolutely rekindled my interest in the earlier system. With that said, I managed to grab Geist, XGRA, and Odama for $10 each recently. Those may not be fantastic prices, but they're still pretty good (for Canada anyway).

BTW, for the people waiting for the PS2 to drop from $120 to $99, just buy it already! Do you really think it was worth not having a system for a year or more just so you could save twenty bucks? Come on now!
    Last edited by DaBargainHunta; 06-10-2008 at 08:42 AM.
    Formerly the poster known as Retro Pro

My review of Road Trip for PS2: http://digitpress.com/reviews/roadtrip.htm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheDomesticInstitution View Post
    I haven't been buying lots of xbox games until recently, but they're so cheap now it's hard to resist. It is way more affordable to buy them when the system starts to die off.
    Couldn't explain my situation better, I should take a picture of my backlog of sealed xbox titles from clearance buying (probably 30 maybe a few more or less) of which I don't think I paid more than $5 for any of them and most were of the $1.99 variety. The only one I can think of that I paid more than $5 for was Street Fighter Anniversary Collection but I bought 3 at 7.99 and sold 2 of them for roughly $30 each.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Quote Originally Posted by DaBargainHunta View Post
    GameCube, though - as people have pointed out - is a pain to collect for now.
    Yeah... rather "glad" I started 3 years ago or so, and just gradually grabbing everything I needed (mostly in used condition) each time I visited the US...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't get a Genesis or Dreamcast until after they were dead. For the Genesis, it was on its way out, not completely dead, which meant I could still find a new clearance Sega CD and 32X, but games by that time were dirt cheap.

I didn't get a Dreamcast until it was dead. Of course, I mean as dead as that system gets, it's amazing how long that sucker was supported by SHMUPS. I managed to get a Dreamcast, 4 controllers, an ASSLOAD of VMUs, two guns, VGA adapter and a bunch of extra accessories, along with about 50 games (none sports) for $100.00. This is totally the way to build a collection

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thetoxicone View Post
    Couldn't explain my situation better, I should take a picture of my backlog of sealed xbox titles from clearance buying (probably 30 maybe a few more or less) of which I don't think I paid more than $5 for any of them and most were of the $1.99 variety. The only one I can think of that I paid more than $5 for was Street Fighter Anniversary Collection but I bought 3 at 7.99 and sold 2 of them for roughly $30 each.
    My limit on purchase price has been about $15 or $20 (for as long as I've owned it). Mostly I like to stay below $10... but I have to hand it to you, you've found some great deals. I wish I could have been so lucky. Oh well, I'm at about 80 right now, and still am on the lookout. There are so many good games for the system.