Thread: Top 20 (Best) U.S. Saturn Games. (2008) - Round 2: Discuss the nominees. OVER-PLZ LOK

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Kumori-kun

Albert Odyssey - I'm currently playing through the JAP version.

Astal - One of my favorite 2D platformers on ANY system - best 2D graphics on the system. Definitely top 20 worthy.

Baku Baku - A decent puzzle game

Burning Rangers - Fantastic game, to bad it came out towards the end of Saturns shelf life and didn't get the recognition it deserved. Top 20 for sure.

Clockwork Knight - Average platformer

Darius Gaiden - NC

Die Hard Arcade - Fun but not worthy of the top 20.

Dragon Force - NC

Duke Nukem 3D - Fun game, but being as it was ported over I wouldn't put this in the top 20

Fighters Megamix - My favorite 3D fighting game on the saturn by far. Top 20 worthy

Galactic Attack - NC

Guardian Heroes - My personal favorite by Treasure, as well as one of my top games on the Saturn. DEFINITELY top 20 worthy.

Gun Griffon - One of the better SHMUPS on the system. Top 20 worthy

House of the Dead, The - At the time the game was fun, but not top 20 worthy

Legend of Oasis, The -

Magic Knight Rayearth - My favorite RPG on the console (also one of my fav anime series). This is an RPG that has aged well, it has a good story and good gameplay.

mr. Bones - An inventive yet unbelievable short game. Not top 20 worthy.

NightWarriors - Nightwarriors to this day is still my favorite 2D fighting game series. Graphics still look beautiful. Top 20 worthy indeed.

Nights - Nights is not only beautiful, but fun, innovative and still in my own personal list of best games ever made. Top 20 worthy.

Panzer Dragoon - One of Saturns best titles. Graphics are OK but the gameplay and replayability make it a good top 20 choice

Panzer Dragoon Saga - NC - I still haven't opened the packaging on my copy :P

Panzer Dragoon Zwei - I loved it, but theres nothing thay really set it apart from the original.

Powerslave - an average FPS at most...definitely not top 20 worthy.

Saturn Bomberman - I really loved Saturn bomberman - it still stands out, I haven't been able to enjoy the series since. I'd give it a top 20 nod.

Sega Rally Championship - Probably the best racing game for its time..hands down. Top 20 all the way.

Shining Force III - I love this game... (or what I've played on it). I still haven't -played the 2nd or 3rd part but if its as good as the 1st arc then its definitely top 20 worthy.

Shining the Holy Ark - Another great game, I just finished the JAP version. While I prefer the shining series in the top down strategy mode, this wasn't a bad transition..in fact...all the saturn RPG's are def. top 20 worthy.

Shinobi Legions - NC

Sonic 3D Blast - YES - people can say what they will but I love this game - especially the sound track. top 20 worthy.

Street Fighter Collection - NC

Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo - Definitely in the top 20. It's the best puzzler on the console..and one of the best period.

Tempest 2000 - NC

Three Dirty Dwarves - One of the first games I owned on Saturn and still one of my favorite choices. The graphical style is still good looking, and the gameplay is still fun. Top 20 for sure.

Virtua Cop - This is still an engaging game to get into. Saturn did well at capturing the arcade feel. Top 20.

Virtua Cop 2 - Better than the 1st in pretty much all aspects. top 20

Virtua Fighter 2 - I never liked the VF series. Compared to fighters megamix I didn't like it at all.

Virtual On - An amazing game - even better if you own the twin sticks. This game is still pretty fun and different, no other game of this type as seen the light of day..except for the remakes.

Winter Heat - NC
    Some things never die....Give me all your Sega belongings!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    rhettoric
    PSN
    rhettoric

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamc@sting View Post
    mr. Bones - An inventive yet unbelievable short game. Not top 20 worthy.
    Unbelievably short? The game has probably four times as many levels as Astal! In fact, I can't really think of another platformer that spans two discs like mr. Bones, and one with the sheer variety of levels. With a pretty high difficulty in some of the latter stages it makes the game seem even longer. Perhaps you only played the first disc?
    "Enduro" is a symbolic journey through life via the media of a race.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Albert Odyssey - Working Designs most charming and enjoyable translation. Not to mention the only standard J-RPG released for the US Saturn. This was an average RPG that was brought to greatness by it's other elements. The OST by Naoki Kodaka is unforgettable, the mode 7 graphics scream nostalgia, and WD translation added much charm. A classic!

Astal – An incredible side scroller with a breathtaking OST! The graphics have an art style all their own. It's like playing an animated storybook.

Baku Baku – Fantastic original puzzle game. Great presentation!

Burning Rangers – Fun original concept (Imagine that). I spent many sleepless nights with this one. A great game and an excellent follow up to Nights.

Clockwork Knight – I see no reason for this to be on here. The sequel was better in every way. It improved on every aspect. CK 2 could possibly make the top 20 but there is no reason the first should.

Darius Gaiden – C'mon!!! Its Darius and it's one of the best ones! Top 20 for sure!

Die Hard Arcade – fun, Fun, FUN brawler. One of the last of it's genera and a great one to boot!

Dragon Force – Fantastic strategy game. Working Designs did a great job at giving all the generals their own personality! It's quite the showcase for the Saturn's 2D capabilities.

Duke Nukem 3D - The best DN3D port of the time and has Death Tank Zwei and is NetLink enabled!!! (Take that Gaystation!!!)

Fighters Megamix – Virtua Fighter 2 is one of the greates fighting games ever made. Fighting Vipers was ridiculous fun. Both games together in one game and TONS of other Sega characters results in one of the greatest fighting games ever made! Sega's King of Fighters!!! Top 20 without a doubt!

Galactic Attack – Great original shooter but I find Darius more fun.

Guardian Heroes – A fantastic fantasy brawler that played as well as it looked (which was damn good)! Multiple characters, stages and endings and it was made by Treasure!

Gun Griffon – One of the greatest mech games ever made! Fantastic music and a Jaw dropping intro that stunned everyone who saw it and still impressive to this day. The intro to GG resulted in several magazines starting an “Intro of the Year” award, which of course it won!

House of the Dead, The – Great game but a rushed port and why the hell did we get green blood instead of red!?

Legend of Oasis, The – Solid, fun RPG but not a patch on it's Genesis sequel.

Magic Knight Rayearth – Last game released for the Saturn in the US. Certainly a charming and fun game but i'm not sure if it's top 20 material.

mr. Bones – Created by Angel Studios that also brought us the beautiful Kolibri. This game was just as impressive. A graphical and technical feast, but at its core was a fairly standard platformer. Although it was certainly enjoyable.

NightWarriors – An excellent port, but I can't help but perfer the import sequel.

Nights – Top 20! Do I need to explain?

Panzer Dragoon – Great game but as with Clockwork Knight, the sequel improved on everything. No Top 20 here...

Panzer Dragoon Saga – One of the greatest games ever made. Top 20!

Panzer Dragoon Zwei - Did EVERYTHING the first game did and did it better. Better graphics, music, story, control, and added the Berserk attack and dragon morphs!!! Top 20!!!

Powerslave – Haven't played to far into it, but it is very impressive and really fun so far.

Saturn Bomberman – 10 player BM mayhem!?!? Also NetLink enabled!?!? THE Bomberman game to play. Top 20 here we come!!!

Sega Rally Championship – The first powersliding games I ever played and I still think its among the best. Fantastic arcade port and great 2 player. An excellent racing game!

Shining Force III – Haven't played very far into this yet... But so far it is more than impressive and every bit as good as the others.

Shining the Holy Ark – I can't explain how much I love this game. My friends and I played this religiously trying to find all the secrets and hidden items. Great graphics, and a very atmospheric score by Motoi Sakuraba. I also LOVED the Pixie system. It was brilliant and simple fun.

Shinobi Legions – Fun game but I hate the motion captured graphics. I will take beautiful sprite work over motion capture any day. Certainly a great game however.

Sonic 3D Blast – This game is good and the Richard jaques OST is worth the price of admission alone. But I would have never chosen this before Sonic R or Sonic Jam. No top 20 for me...

Street Fighter Collection – Haven't played this but man I really want it!!!

Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo – Excellent original idea for a puzzle game and it's infused with SF as well. Addictive puzzle game but I think I prefer Baku Baku because of it's simplicity.

Tempest 2000 – Never played it but I always heard that the Jag version was the best.

Three Dirty Dwarves – A game with lots of character. I thought it was quite humorous and and liked the style, but thought the game itself was frustratingly difficult. Not in my top 20.

Virtua Cop – Solid graphics and solid gameplay. Virtua Cop was fantastic.

Virtua Cop 2 – Hmmm. Better graphics and more variety than VC 1, but as said before, the level design isn't as good and therefor the game seems less fun.

Virtua Fighter 2 – This was the pinnacle of the series. Virtua Fighter was good. Virtua Fighter Remix was great. Virtua Fighter 2 was phenomenal! Crisp graphics, great gameplay, and the well composed soundtrack created one of the best installments of VF. With VF 3 and 4 the series took a nose dive and I have yet to play 5. Virtua Fighter 2 is whre its at... and thats the Top 20!!!

Virtual On – Played this game religiously! Probably Sega's best arcade port to the Saturn. Crisp graphics, great music, great 2 player, and just a blast to play.

Winter Heat – Never played this but I have always heard good things.
    Last edited by Wraith Storm; 07-19-2008 at 11:37 AM.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?