Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Game Industry Still Fighting Used Game Sales

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I really don't understand why they're still bitching about used games, especially if the game is no longer in print, it's not the buyer's fault for wanting a game that the original publisher no longer manufactures. They made their money off of the copy the first time and well if the game didn't sell well the first time around there's really nobody to blame, that's just how things go sometimes.

I can somewhat understand a company getting upset when their game doesn't sell well at all, especially when it's a game that seemed to fall through the cracks and received good reception from critics. Now if a game sells exceptionally well and the company is bitching, well then they seriously need to shut the fuck up about it. If you made twice your profit back the fist time around and still make some money off the game when it goes "Greatest Hits", then there's really no need for you to get thirds, fourths and fifths.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

I DO think that the problem is quality and value. You have a flooded market right now fighting for scraps. Everyone and their mom is making a game, and now the finger is going to get pointed onto why games are making $$$$. The bottom line is that you have MANY games being made, rehashed, sequeled, and just shoveled onto consumers. There are way more choices of games this year than money, not to mention so many games that dont live up to their $50 to $60 hype. Screw blaming Gamestops and used game stores for hurting sales, that is Bull. These are the same stores that are pushing reserves and promoting new games with a ton of floorspace. There wouldnt be a problem if a sequel of a game didnt come out every year it seems(or worse if you are Guitar Hero) At some point in the near future, the market is going to have a much needed correction, and you wont be seeing me shedding a tear for the poor ol game companies.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Want to combat used game sales? Keep pushing free DLC out, a la the new Burnout. People will hesitate to sell their games if they know more (free) content is coming. You only need to promise 3 installments, say every couple or three months or so to keep your buyers happy.
    Last edited by boatofcar; 11-10-2008 at 11:53 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

Screw him and the horse he rode in on. If Epic pays so well the people that work there can afford to buy anything new, perhaps they should remember what their customers have to work with. Not all of us make enough to buy everything new.

I'll stick with classic games and the used market. Atleast then I know what I'm getting for my money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    This is the stupidest thing ever. For all their ridiculous statements, I've never heard the RIAA say anything attacking used CD sales.
    Actually they did. Back in the early 90's RIAA tried to shut down used record sales. Of course they lost, or otherwise gave up. I couldn't find the exact details, but here is an interesting story on it amongst other things RIAA has tried to do over the years.

http://www.8bitjoystick.com/archives...y_used_cds.php

The problem I have with Game Developers making this argument is that they assume too many things for their argument. First and foremost is that the people who are buying the used games would otherwise buy the same game new at full price, especially at release. For me, unless the game is a AAA release, a collector's edition that I really want or a potential rarity or otherwise HTF game, I am not going to buy a game at release. I have far too many other games to play, and I can wait til the game drops in price to a point that I am willing to pay for it, whether used or new.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hate to break it to game developers and "the industry", but there are some games that are not worth dropping $60 on.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Insert Coin (Level 0) sonoranreptile's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Especially when those games are either very short on gameplay of full of bugs, which unfortuantely both have been pretty common lately.
    A delusion made me stronger
    Yet I'm draped in pale withering flesh
    I sacrificed more than I had
    And left my woes beneath the mire
    --Opeth

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sonoranreptile View Post
    Especially when those games are either very short on gameplay of full of bugs, which unfortuantely both have been pretty common lately.
    Exactly if the game is short or is not very good the company probably should not make very much money off of it...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

"Epic's Michael Capps: Make game ending DLC!"

Holy shit you've got to be kidding me. Now I've let the whole DLC thing slide, I've purchased tracks for Rockband (really the only acceptable DLC) and the expansions for Super Stardust HD, but this has to be one of the stupidest things I've ever head of. I think the market is due for another crash, or at least a borderline crash, maybe it will get some sense back into their heads.
    Last edited by exit; 11-11-2008 at 09:32 AM.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by esquire View Post
    Actually they did. Back in the early 90's RIAA tried to shut down used record sales. Of course they lost, or otherwise gave up. I couldn't find the exact details, but here is an interesting story on it amongst other things RIAA has tried to do over the years.

http://www.8bitjoystick.com/archives...y_used_cds.php
    Wow, that's interesting. Thanks for the link.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If they want people to buy more games new then they have to find a way to make them cheaper. Most games devalue pretty quickly so the incentive to wait three months and buy that game for $20 instead of $60 is huge. If publishers want to increase the number of people who buy most titles new then they have no choice but to find a way to sell them brand new for no more than $35 to $40. Something comparable to new DVDs would be even more preferable.

This is all about money. And not so much from the publisher's end but from the consumer's. If I bought every game new I'd buy maybe 5 or 6 games a year. Make them cheaper or put up with used game sales. Take your pick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wish these guys would STFU. This has been going on for years at flea markets, etc. Just stop whining and crying over this crap. The movie industry never did or attempt to do anything about the movie rental places. So just stfu, please. Thank you.

On the other side:

I know it's all about the money, but it may rid us of all these gamestops!
    Tea is for terrorists-Leo Laporte

Klingons Invented Saran Wrap

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Unlock code, ehh? Heh heh heh. I remember those. Don't make me put on my pirate hat again!

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pay to see the game ending?

Riiiiiiight......

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

The day they start charging for boss fights and end games is the day I cut off future purchases from my hobby and focus on older games only. I have a hard enough time wanting to pay $60 for some games nowadays but this would be it for me guaranteed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    If they want people to buy more games new then they have to find a way to make them cheaper.
    Exactly. Big production budgets don't automatically equal big fun. I have a stack of Wii games that cost $20 to $30 each, brand new. They're good, polished games, too (Pinball Hall of Fame, Mercury Meltdown Revolution, Link's Crossbow Training, Ghost Squad, Endless Ocean, etc.).

Also, these days I'd usually rather pay $15 for a quick, challenging, fun, polished WiiWare game like World of Goo, Lostwinds, or Mega Man 9 than spend $60 on a repetitive 60 hour quest that I no longer have the time or patience to finish.
    Last edited by Rob2600; 11-11-2008 at 06:54 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    Exactly. Big production budgets don't automatically equal big fun. I have a stack of Wii games that cost $20 to $30 each, brand new. They're good, polished games, too (Pinball Hall of Fame, Mercury Meltdown Revolution, Link's Crossbow Training, Ghost Squad, Endless Ocean, etc.).

Also, these days I'd usually rather pay $15 for a quick, challenging, fun, polished WiiWare game like World of Goo, Lostwinds, or Mega Man 9 than spend $60 on a repetitive 60 hour quest that I no longer have the time or patience to finish.
    That's what doesn't make sense to me, this is a classic gaming site that just happens to have a modern gaming section. Yet many posters here see those games you listed and their simple graphics and think "What a low-budget piece of crap."

Anyone that likes games from PS2 to Atari would love those games. Oh well that the Wii gets a Barbie's Horse Adventure each month, people don't have to buy them. Seeing "Tasty O's" next to "Cheerios" in a grocery store doesn't make me want to want to quit buying groceries.
    "Tell her you want to slide a hot throbbing cartridge in her warm tight console port. And if it starts blinking and flashing to just slide it back out and blow on it a little."--Sothy

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

One reason why I think this is one of the best generations we've seen in a while is specifically because there's so much diversity. We aren't starved for inexpensive, yet good, games. The problem is that there are also a shit load of good standard priced games which if I were to buy them all brand new I'd have to sell a kidney.

So, really, if for whatever reason used games vanished that wouldn't mean the publishers would get any more of my money. I just wouldn't play those games at all or might resort to piracy. If games were cheaper out of the gate then they'd probably make more money off of me because I'd buy more games new.