Thread: Top ten most retarded things about gaming

Pretzel (Level 4) monkeychemist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nintendoeats View Post
    Heres my list:
    10.The Apple stuff in MGS4 (which really ruined the experience for me. OTACON WOULD NOT USE A MAC. He would at least use windows, probably linux. or his own OS.)
    Why wouldn't he use a superior machine with a superior OS? Maybe Linux is fine, but any intelligent, computer-capable person would NOT use windows...

9.The fact that Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft can't get along to do ANYTHING cool (I want Master Chief in SSB dammit!)
    yea, let's ask Coke to make a new soda with Pepsi, that will work...

5.The lack of female protagonists,antagonists and standard enemies.
    There are plenty, you just didn't look it up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...e_protagonists

Now my list:
    5. eBay/Paypal F$%^ sellers over but since it is practially a monopoly we have to take it in the butt.
    4. Prices of consoles and games these days...seriously, $60 for a new game??
    3. Lack of a new SW Battlefront for the next gen systems
    2. The fact that you really can't play the Wii without 3 friends over
    1. Square-Enix WILL NEVER RELEASE FFXIII!!! ahhh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

#10. The hoops I have to jump through to get any sort of flash device/backup device (HDLoader, Superkey, flash carts in general). Look, you can cry piracy all you want, but some of us aren't in it for the ROMs. Some of us like copying our DVD games to a hard drive for... I dunno... faster load times and keeping our originals flawless. Having several games on one cart makes it a lot easier to move 'em about.

#9. "Would you like to reserve something?" NO. I would not.

#8. The overabundance of first-person shooters. The WWII FPSes have been going on longer than the war itself! C'mon, every other release doesn't have to be an FPS... there are other genres out there.

#7. The Xbox 360.

#6. Attempts by game makers to stifle the used game industry. If your product is geared this way, I will not buy it. Period.

#5. Mumorpugers. Games are not a second job. I bow to the epic mount for epic mount, as it is pure epic... but is this really the direction games have taken? I remember when games would kill your sex life, not increase-- oh... wait... forget number 5.

#4. PC Gaming. Let's see... I can pay 200 dollars now, buy a console that will play hundreds (possibly thousands) of games over roughly a decade... or I can buy a video card to add to my uber expensive PC which will let me play games for roughly six months until I need some sort of GFX90000000EX UBERKILL DDR86000 MAX PIPELINES PCIE500 card upgrade... costing me several hundred more dollars. Then I need more RAM... more drive space... you get the point.

#3. The video game violence arguments. Video games are no more responsible for violence than guns are for killing.

#2. DRM. Bite me.

#1. Why is it when a "popular" game is given a release date I can go to the GameShop and buy it THAT FRIGGIN DAY (even at midnight that night!), but the games that *I* prefer arrive two days to a week later EVEN IF I HAVE A GODDAMN RESERVE?
    Wants:
    Starflight Starmap and Code Wheel
    Starflight II Starmap
    Got these for sale or trade? PM ME!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

10. Great 2D games being "quarantined" to the handheld platforms (I hate playing handhelds!) because they're not flashy enough to be on a more powerful console.
    THAT. So many great exclusive titles on DS and PSP, it's nauseating.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Monkeyfracker

Quote Originally Posted by monkeychemist View Post
    Why wouldn't he use a superior machine with a superior OS? Maybe Linux is fine, but any intelligent, computer-capable person would NOT use windows...
    Where to begin...
    I hate macs. this is a preference issue, but I got a macbook pro for school and I hate it . alot. I don't see how you can call it a superior machine though: there is no technological difference betwen a mac and any other compuiter: its just costs more and can't be upgraded as much.

However, the use of macs in MGS 4 has some serious issues. Firstly, Mac OS hardware is basicly not extensible. I mean, how was he controlling the MarkIII with a macbook? did he actually open it up and solder some new wi-fi technology into the mobo, just so he could use a mac?

The fact is that when you get to that Otacans level of geek you want as much control as possible, which means a self made OS or a linux based machine. I say windows because at least windows machines are completely upgradeable (and he could theoreticly buy or build a laptop with whatever tech he needed). Why would he put in all of the extra effort needed to make his extra tech run on Mac hardware. He would at the absolute minumum get MacOSX running on his own machine, with custom drivers and such. and with a right click for shit's sake.

However, the real issue is a storytelling one. the macs are superfluous. I really thought that all of the dynamic shots of that logo ruined the scene with the video of Naomi. Oh man, poor Otoc...apple logo...what was going on again?

I can respect liking macs (even though I loathe them on multiple unrelated levels myself). But they defenitely don't belong in MGS. the ipod was clever, but the computers break the mood. They should have been generic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Monkeyfracker

Further monkeychemist, I realise that Nintendo Microsoft and Sony won't ever get along, I'm just saying that it would be awesome for everyone if they, just sometimes, let down their borders a little. imagine if we could play Ps3 games vs. xbox 360 games. how awesome would that be?. I agree that it won't happen, I'm just saying that it would be awesome. hey, if pepsi and coke want to bring us a new drink I'm all for it.

And I challenge you to build a list of games with male protagonists. it would be 100 times bigger than that one. and most of those were games in which you could be either male or female, which usually means substantially less character development.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Nintendoeats, I was hoping someone would hijack this into another Mac vs. PC thread. Anyway there's a ton of annoying shit listed here, so I'll probably just duplicate and expand- but here goes.

While it's cool that current gen consoles dicks are getting bigger and harder, I hate the 5 minute fluff time. I miss the days of Tetris- you could throw it in and be playing it in 10 or so seconds. I guess there's not much that can be done about this gripe though, as long as disc based media is used.

Moving parts in consoles. The more moving parts in a console, the more the chances it has to break. My blood boiled when I had to spend money to purchase a 2nd XBOX after breaking 13 months into it's life. It had the fucking Samsung drive. It's sort of rewarding when I find an NES or Genesis crusted in ear wax and mashed carrots, that'll work after a good cleaning.

People that seem to have endless amounts of time to devote to a game. It's really discouraging (for those of us who leave the house on occasion) to get blown away immediately upon entering an online FPS map.

System updates and patches.

I think thats it.
    Last edited by TheDomesticInstitution; 12-02-2008 at 10:51 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Where to begin...
    I hate macs. this is a preference issue, but I got a macbook pro for school and I hate it . alot. I don't see how you can call it a superior machine though: there is no technological difference betwen a mac and any other compuiter: its just costs more and can't be upgraded as much.

However, the use of macs in MGS 4 has some serious issues. Firstly, Mac OS hardware is basicly not extensible. I mean, how was he controlling the MarkIII with a macbook? did he actually open it up and solder some new wi-fi technology into the mobo, just so he could use a mac?

The fact is that when you get to that Otacans level of geek you want as much control as possible, which means a self made OS or a linux based machine. I say windows because at least windows machines are completely upgradeable (and he could theoreticly buy or build a laptop with whatever tech he needed). Why would he put in all of the extra effort needed to make his extra tech run on Mac hardware. He would at the absolute minumum get MacOSX running on his own machine, with custom drivers and such. and with a right click for shit's sake.

However, the real issue is a storytelling one. the macs are superfluous. I really thought that all of the dynamic shots of that logo ruined the scene with the video of Naomi. Oh man, poor Otoc...apple logo...what was going on again?

I can respect liking macs (even though I loathe them on multiple unrelated levels myself). But they defenitely don't belong in MGS. the ipod was clever, but the computers break the mood. They should have been generic.
    Wow, you thought way too deep into that.

In the game Fear, they use Alienware laptops in an office building. Uh, no way that would happen.

Enjoy the game itself, and that should go back to 1 of my things that is retarded: the use of graphics for something other than enhancing the gameplay, because then people wonder why a Mac is there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1- Fanboys/Anti-Fanboys. Nintendo Fanboys/Anti-Fanboys in general. You don't have to jump into every thread and try and convince everyone that Wii Music is actually a good game (or even a game) and that the Wii is ZOMG Teh awesome! Quote fests and child like bickering just are not my thing. I just don't get the fanboy. I dread opening some threads on various message boards because after awhile, I can pretty much guess where it is going. Not like they are on the pay roll. I don't get the fanboy. I just want to play good games!

2- Sequels. Some I can stomach. I'd rather see new IP though. Stuff like Fallout 3 is an exception to the rule.

3- Gamestop and it's "Last copy. Open but new" policy. Fuck that.

4- E-bay pricing at local shops and garage sales. Reason I've quit garage sales. Dunno how many times I've heard "I can get twenty for it on E-bay." Then sell it on E-Bay bitch.

5- Limited lives/Continues. Also, harder difficulty equals enemies absorb more shots and kill you in less. A two for one here. Unless it is a title that is supposed to have that arcade feel, I want unlimited lives and continues. Also, I like to play games on harder difficulty levels. Pisses me off to no end when the AI is not better, just cheap-er. This just seems like old game design that needs to catch up with the times.

6-Releasing the same compilations over and over with a few new games thrown in each time. I'm looking at you Namco! I own Pac-Man and Galaga 100 times over.

7- Videogames not getting the respect they deserve. Yep, I'm one of the ones that believes they can be art. Also, It would be nice to see the people whom put the time and effort into making the game get a bit more recognition. Connectivity has helped this a bit. I would have loved to have been able to read about my favorite game maker/music composer and buy other works of theirs the back in the day.

8- The single player/TV experience getting lost in the shuffle. Shitty endings.- Some games seem to be more about the online/multiplayer than the single player experience. Almost as if this feature has become tacked on. I enjoy sitting in front of the TV in the dark by myself with the surround sound turned up immersed in a great story. Also, not being able to play multiplayer with more than one person on one screen. I guess this argument could be switched around depending on personal preference.

9- Retro collecting for profit. Seriously, for the love of the game man! There are better places to invest money.

10. People who still to this day try and argue that Mortal Kombat was/is better than Street Fighter II. Seriously, WTF? SF II has aged so much better. Looked better back then. Is not broken and is probably the most balanced and responsive fighter ever.
    Last edited by spoon; 12-02-2008 at 04:03 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Monkeyfracker

SPOON!!!!!!!

I love your list. especially the games as art thing. and the multiplayer one. Am I the only person who wants LESS openworld experiences, and more MGS style straight narrative?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Monkeyfracker

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAges View Post
    In the game Fear, they use Alienware laptops in an office building. Uh, no way that would happen.
    What a coincidence, I'm playing that right now. I haven't encountered any alienwares, but I think that they are in Perseus Mandate. Your right, it doesn't makes sense. but thats FEAR. this is MGS. I don't expect as much from FEAR.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What a coincidence, I'm playing that right now. I haven't encountered any alienwares, but I think that they are in Perseus Mandate. Your right, it doesn't makes sense. but thats FEAR. this is MGS. I don't expect as much from FEAR.
    My friend, it is a matter of opinion when it comes to games. The point of the matter is that there is alot of stuff in the games graphics-wise that does not make sense. I wish my office building had alienware laptops for us all. That would be cool if they dumped OSX out of their Apples to put Unix on there (not that hard to do), but it is a game.

The reason why I talked about fear, is because I am not a MGS fan. I just don't like the games (even though I own 1-3). I had to put something in that I could relate to. Just because it is a big budget title does not mean that we should ignore every single other game that uses crappy product placement, because in the end, that is all it boils down to, is product placement.

What does this tell us about a game when they get more funding through product placement? Many AAA titles (or big budget or whatever) use crappy product placement, so I see what you are saying, it is very possible that what you think is retarded is very much more broad then specified, which happens (this is a good thread to vent and lose your place).

I do agree with you completely that crappy product placement in games sucks though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Monkeyfracker

My friend, it is a matter of opinion when it comes to games. The point of the matter is that there is alot of stuff in the games graphics-wise that does not make sense. I wish my office building had alienware laptops for us all. That would be cool if they dumped OSX out of their Apples to put Unix on there (not that hard to do), but it is a game.

The reason why I talked about fear, is because I am not a MGS fan. I just don't like the games (even though I own 1-3). I had to put something in that I could relate to. Just because it is a big budget title does not mean that we should ignore every single other game that uses crappy product placement, because in the end, that is all it boils down to, is product placement.

What does this tell us about a game when they get more funding through product placement? Many AAA titles (or big budget or whatever) use crappy product placement, so I see what you are saying, it is very possible that what you think is retarded is very much more broad then specified, which happens (this is a good thread to vent and lose your place).

I do agree with you completely that crappy product placement in games sucks though.
    I just went back to FEAR and the alienwares ARE in the first game.

your right, I do have issues with crappy product placement in general, but it ws in MGS where it was really and truly evil. even if you don't like MGS, you must understand that the storytelling is absolutely central to the game. FEAR isn't really ruined by the alienwares (i didn't even notice until I looked!) but the Macs in MGS destroy an absolutely core component of the game.

so basicly I agree with you, but 500 thousand times moreso int he case of MGS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just went back to FEAR and the alienwares ARE in the first game.

your right, I do have issues with crappy product placement in general, but it ws in MGS where it was really and truly evil. even if you don't like MGS, you must understand that the storytelling is absolutely central to the game. FEAR isn't really ruined by the alienwares (i didn't even notice until I looked!) but the Macs in MGS destroy an absolutely core component of the game.

so basicly I agree with you, but 500 thousand times moreso int he case of MGS.
    Right on.

It is like playing resident evil and then you find waldo or something:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Monkeyfracker

Right on.

It is like playing resident evil and then you find waldo or something:

its EXACTLY like that. I'm not exagurating.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

You must have some serious ADD if a computer logo keeps you from enjoying a cutscene.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar View Post
    You must have some serious ADD if a computer logo keeps you from enjoying a cutscene.
    YEEEEEEEAAHH BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!! !!!!!!

Wait... what were we talking about again?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

"Lack of AO only titles! Won't sell my ass! They just don't
    wanna take heat cause little billy might get a copy. That didn't
    stop the porn industry! 8==> --- ps, don't forget the violence."

Blame the console manufacturers. They won't allow AO titles on their consoles for any reason. This is also a double standard since these consoles play DVD movies and you can play XXX movies on them to your heart's (or penis/vagina) content. One of these days, somebody's got to challenge them on this.

"The hoops I have to jump through to get any sort of flash device/backup device (HDLoader, Superkey, flash carts in general)."

Although I currently don't have a hard drive for my PS2 I just recently acquired the latest version of HDLoader (.8c) with FMCB and installed it on one of my Memory Cards (using the USB Drive/Codebreaker method). Is this how you did yours?
    The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "save us!"......and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Things that don't work out of the box. I don't want firmware updates, game patches, hardware failures as the rule not the exception.

Games should stop trying to be movies. Be games. The best stories have room for the imagination, not every nook and cranny stuffed with exposition and cutscenes.

General lack of retro gaming goodness in the US. It makes me ill to think I'm going to have to buy my stuff off the net instead of in a nice store if I ever move back there (of course, there are some great stores, but as we know there aren't that many and the chains have homogenised the game buying experience for 95% of people)

Region locks! Most frustrating thing ever. I think all the heavy region protection was the first seed if the piracy trend. Someone wants a game that may not be released soon, if ever -- so they mod their console to be able to play it. Hey, while I'm modding this, I might as well just pirate it, too!

Online gaming being dominated by anti-social basement dwellers and 13-year-old boys of all ages. I love online gaming with my consoles, but I hate being harassed by children or smashed by 148th level masters who've put 200 hours into a game. I'm pretty decent with an FPS but I am not that competitive...

Arcades are dead, long live the arcades! I foolishly hope someday there will be a mini-revival in arcades...

ZOMG rare titles that aren't rare at all - FFVII, Radiant Silvergun, etc. Enough of it already.

Inability to find anything on the net anymore using google without digging through piles of reseller links, ebay auctions, pointless blog posts. It's harder and harder to find information on the net in the past year or two, too much noise, not enough data.

I'm sure I got more, but I'll get off my old man soapbox...

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Thread moved to the Modern Gaming forum. This is not quite off-topic, after all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Monkeyfracker

Fair enough. I considered putting it here, but some things are certainly retro so I thought off-topic was a good middle-ground.