Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DS Browser

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default Phat DS Browser at Nintendo Online Store

The Nintendo Online Store has the DS Browser for the Original-Style DS. It costs the same as the DS Lite version. The only difference is that the cartridge is bigger and opague.

Also, if you already bought the DS Lite version, you can purchase the "Fatty" version of the GBA memory expansion pak for $15.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Any impressions?

Strawberry (Level 2) Streetball 21's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So, I'm gonna bump up this thread. Is it worth ordering the DS Phat opera browser from the online store? I just think it would be cool getting online with the DS. Why do I say that? I have no idea. I just want it. Any other impressions?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Streetball 21 View Post
    Why do I say that? I have no idea. I just want it.
    Things like this make my head hurt.

Though it depends on exactly what you want to do, there are homebrew programs out there that do a much better job than the official DS browser.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I use it all the time

I ordered the DS (original) one from Nintendo a couple months ago, and I love it. Of course, the only difference is the RAM card for the GBA slot is bigger; it will also work in a Lite, but of course protrude from the forward edge.

I also bought a new copy from Gamestop for the DS Lite because I wanted one for each of my DS models; they didn't have it in stock, but they were able to do a search of other Gamestops and find one in a neighboring state that had it in stock and send to my local Gamestop for no extra charge. As you may be aware, you can not buy the original DS version in any retail environment.

I was curious as to WHY they never have any used copies of the DS browser for sale. I was hoping to pick it up cheap. The Gamestop employee told me that they don't accept it in for trade. According to him, once "you put your name/password/etc" in there it stores in the cartridge and can NOT be erased. I'm not sure that I believe this, but ordered new versions just to be sure. This made me afraid to buy a used one, which I saw for sale on Ebay and Amazon. When you put in the browser for the first time, it asks for a password. I left it blank on both of mine and now it never asks me. Maybe that's the ticket - not leaving a password. Hell, if anyone has access to my DS they're going to steal it anyway; who cares about a password on your browser? Maybe it's just the password (if entered) can't be changed....dunno.

I don't understand some of the negative reception of the DS browser. Yes, it's limited. What the hell did they expect on a friggin' DS anyway? Yes, it's slow. But I can check my email and read the news at school - for FREE. You can also use it to log into wireless networks to do require a login (school, etc) and then turn it off and switch to a game and the router you logged into will remember your MAC address for a few minutes, so when you turn it back on, a game will have instant access to the internet and you can online game from other places. That's a nice thing about it. How else could you game online from a place that requires a login? Awwwww, I can't watch youtube with it. Boo hoo.......get a laptop.

I mostly view mobile (cell phone oriented) internet sites with it because it's fast. As far as "regular" sites, the thing is so-so on some sites, chokes if there's a lot of pics or really big page. But it works!! If you stick to the mobile sites it's not even slow. As long as you adjust your expectations to reality and look at what a diminutive device it's on, I think it's great. There's all kinds of mobile news, mobile yahoo email, mobile wikipedia....and if you spend hours of the day at a place (college campus, etc) with free WiFi then it's worth it.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by Streetball 21 View Post
    So, I'm gonna bump up this thread. Is it worth ordering the DS Phat opera browser from the online store? I just think it would be cool getting online with the DS. Why do I say that? I have no idea. I just want it. Any other impressions?
    If you've got Wifi and no other viable way to get on the net, then yes. I've got both the lite and Phat browsers and have had them for quite a long time. Both have never been opened and probably won't be. When i've got the wifi access and i'm not at home, 98% of the time, i've got the wifes laptop close by. Better surfing conditions and no browsing issues.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

I found the DS browser to be the worst online experience I've ever had. Even browsing on my old phone was faster. I guess if you're a student and aren't allowed to have a cell phone at school this could be useful, but beyond that...

Strawberry (Level 2) ChronoTriggaFoo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wood_jl View Post
    I was curious as to WHY they never have any used copies of the DS browser for sale. I was hoping to pick it up cheap. The Gamestop employee told me that they don't accept it in for trade. According to him, once "you put your name/password/etc" in there it stores in the cartridge and can NOT be erased. I'm not sure that I believe this, but ordered new versions just to be sure. This made me afraid to buy a used one, which I saw for sale on Ebay and Amazon. When you put in the browser for the first time, it asks for a password. I left it blank on both of mine and now it never asks me. Maybe that's the ticket - not leaving a password. Hell, if anyone has access to my DS they're going to steal it anyway; who cares about a password on your browser? Maybe it's just the password (if entered) can't be changed....dunno.

Actually, there is a way to reset the password feature. I freaked when I purchased mine and found I needed a password. Fortunately, I found the link below:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/898375..._youve_forgot/
    ***If you have any Transformers toys or Three Investigators books, let me know.***

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just get an Asus EEE PC. It's not much bigger than a DS and works wonderfully.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    Just get an Asus EEE PC. It's not much bigger than a DS and works wonderfully.
    Whoa! They're small, but they're not that small. Also, I suspect you'd get much better battery life from the DS. (Or does it drain faster when browsing, what with the extra RAM and everything?)
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The EEE isnt' as small, but it works and works well. The DS browser doesn't.

Plus, don't forget that the DS battery life takes a real dive with the wifi on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    KingOfPain95

I Have the Original DS Lite Browser and its not that good cause there is no video support.good bye Youtube on the can