Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nature Boy View Post
    Their reason for both decisions is easy: piracy.

It's a hell of a lot easier to pirate a CD based game than it is a Cart.
    Right, because pirated carts and devices to play "back-ups" off various discs and memory devices were not available for Nintendo based systems. Give me a break. If you really want to control piracy, there are other ways to do it besides creating custom formats.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Right, because pirated carts and devices to play "back-ups" off various discs and memory devices were not available for Nintendo based systems. Give me a break.
    Yes, cartridge copiers existed, but...

When I worked at EB, I was shocked by the number of customers who pirated PlayStation games. Even children and their parents came into the store asking for mod chips. I'd ask why and they'd say, "To play copied games." I'd have to explain to them that copying games - and buying copied games - was illegal.

But that's how commonplace PlayStation piracy was...even children and non-gaming parents thought copying PS games was a perfectly normal thing, just like recording music off the radio onto an audio cassette tape or recording TV shows onto a VHS tape.

Dreamcast piracy had gotten crazy, too. I remember guys would sell copied Dreamcast games at the Fun N Games arcade for $5 each. "You don't even need a mod chip, they're self-booting!"

By comparison, I've never had one single customer come into my store asking how to copy N64 games, nor have I ever seen anyone selling copied N64 games in person, nor have I ever known anyone with an N64 game copier. I'm sure an N64 bootleg market existed, but as far as I know, it was nowhere near as widespread as the PlayStation and Dreamcast bootleg market.
    Last edited by Rob2600; 02-22-2009 at 08:13 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Right, because pirated carts and devices to play "back-ups" off various discs and memory devices were not available for Nintendo based systems. Give me a break. If you really want to control piracy, there are other ways to do it besides creating custom formats.
    Bootleg N64 carts were reportedly too expensive to be profitable. Clearly this trend did not hold for the DS or GBA.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Who said pirating carts wasn't possible? I certainly didn't, so you'll get no 'break' from me.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end