Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's the most you've paid for a strategy guide?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

$35 for the Fallout 3 hardcover guide at a Best Buy. It was an emergency last-minute birthday gift, otherwise I would have bought it through Amazon.

Speaking of selling guides, if you have a Prima Lego Star Wars The Complete Saga guide, they're fetching $60-70 on eBay.
    Collector of 1,673 strategy guides, and BlazBlue ain't one of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Didn't pay any money, but I traded a Psychic Detective longbox PS1 game for a Clock Tower 2 guide. The guide is fairly rare and I've been looking for a copy in good condition for years, so I didn't think twice about trading a $30 game for it. Plus it has a complete walkthru + endings list for Clock Tower 1 too!
    Last edited by norkusa; 03-06-2009 at 01:04 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The most I've paid for a strategy guide was $25, most of the others I've paid between $1 and $10 for them. I've sold strategy guides in the past for upwards of $50+, some people are really keen on them and are willing to drop whatever amount to get a particular guide.

Maxlords, didn't we trade for my PSIV guide a few years ago on CGCC? I didn't realise it was hard to find at that time until you mentioned it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DonMarco View Post
    Speaking of selling guides, if you have a Prima Lego Star Wars The Complete Saga guide, they're fetching $60-70 on eBay.
    This pisses me off, too, because my BB had one about 7 months ago. It was supposed to be a penny but it rang up full price. I didn't want it that badly so I just passed. Bah!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

zero. I use gamefaqs.com.

One time I was leafing through a random RPG guide at the book store and they were doing all sorts of lazy things like listing the last boss's HP as "????" - why buy the book if they dont tell me these things?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by DonMarco View Post
    The Tales of Symphonia guide (the original one for Gamecube) used to go for almost $100 two years ago or so. Crazy. I entertained the thought of selling mine back then.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The most i've paid was $19.99 for the Super Smash Bros. Brawl strategy guide. But the least i've paid was $2.00 for the MGS4,Ninja Gaiden 2 and Mercenaries 2 Strategy Guides.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I paid 20$ for a pokemon peral guide =( can somebody please explain how to get guides for a penny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hellfire View Post
    I paid 20$ for a pokemon peral guide =( can somebody please explain how to get guides for a penny
    Stores periodically clearance out their guides to make room for new ones. They do this by lowering the prices to a penny and then pulling them to either trash or send back to the warehouse (I think?). So what you do is, you find out what guides have been pennied (see my thread in Daily Deals), grab said guides, throw pennies at the employees and run like hell.

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carlcarlson View Post
    Stores periodically clearance out their guides to make room for new ones. They do this by lowering the prices to a penny and then pulling them to either trash or send back to the warehouse (I think?). So what you do is, you find out what guides have been pennied (see my thread in Daily Deals), grab said guides, throw pennies at the employees and run like hell.

How it's supposed to work is the B&M vendors and the publishers have agreements in place where older non-selling books get marked down to the penny amount to be removed from a store's inventory and a credit is issued for any unsold copies. What the vendor is supposed to do is take the guides and dispose of them. Most vendors usually just dump them in the garbage complete but according to the publishers, the vendors are supposed to rip the front covers off the books before disposal (similar to how magazines are scrapped).

In my time I've had a few managers who carried out the practice to the letter of the law and destroyed the guides as mentioned above. I've had other managers let me take whatever guides I wanted after they removed them from the system.

What kills me about guides is it seems like an all or nothing affair. I've seen guides get discounted before but it's rare. Usually they bear their full sticker price up until the day they get pennied out. I'm not opposed to paying full price and have done so on many occasions in the past (the Atlus Double Jump guides are a good example). I dunno, I guess the publishers know if they allow discounting on the guides, they'd never sell for the $20 to $25 asking price they slap on them and would rather see them scrapped and offer a credit to the vendor towards new guides they're putting out.

As for the topic on hand, I think the most I've paid was for the Kingdom Hearts II Special Edition guide. I can't remember if it was $30 or $35. I was able to use my employee discount on it though. Additionally, if anyone has an Ace Combat 6 guide they're looking to part with, I know a good home it can go to.
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pseudonym View Post
    The most I've paid for a strategy guide was $25, most of the others I've paid between $1 and $10 for them. I've sold strategy guides in the past for upwards of $50+, some people are really keen on them and are willing to drop whatever amount to get a particular guide.

Maxlords, didn't we trade for my PSIV guide a few years ago on CGCC? I didn't realise it was hard to find at that time until you mentioned it.
    Hmmm.....I don't remember. I thought I bought it from someone. Maybe though. I had a hard time finding one but they were never particularly pricey. Definitely rare...but not expensive really. Kind of like trying to find the Dragon Warrior IV NES one. That took a while too.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GenocYder

Since Soul Calibur 2 came to consoles, I always buy the limited edition guides with the soundtracks at launch. They run $25-$30 usually when they first come out at Gamestop, but they're not hard to come by or pricey after being out for a while...when SC4 first came out I picked up the Premium Edition plus the guide for over a hundred, which in retrospect wasn't the smartest buy but I always buy Soul Calibur at launch...oh well....
    -=-Proud owner of the Video Game Retirement Home-=-

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Most I paid was probably when I got the collector's ed of the FF13 guide with the limited ed of the game.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kainemaxwell View Post
    Most I paid was probably when I got the collector's ed of the FF13 guide with the limited ed of the game.
    Wow, you should throw those on ebay. People would go crazy for an unreleased FF and guide.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    KingOfPain95

A Pokemon Firered/Leafgreen guide for 20$

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I got Dragon Quest Monsters Joker off ebay shortly after its release "WITH" strategy guide. The game was used but in mint condition. I got the game for 20 dollars shipped(and I think at the time it was selling for 34.99 or 39.99.)

I don't really know what you could say the price of the guide was because I definitely got the game for cheap.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.