Thread: Different sort of S-video mod for Genesis

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Different sort of S-video mod for Genesis

Lately I have been thinking about modding one of my model 1s for stereo audio and s-video output. The problem comes with drilling the holes for the jacks in the case. Tell me if the idea that I am working out makes sense. I was looking at the ext port on the back and thought about unhooking the pins from the motherboard and using that connector to put out the audio and video. I could then make a custom cable to go from DB-9 to the S-video and 2 RCA audio connectors. Good idea, or bad idea? Thanks.

JY

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Yakapucci View Post
    Lately I have been thinking about modding one of my model 1s for stereo audio and s-video output. The problem comes with drilling the holes for the jacks in the case. Tell me if the idea that I am working out makes sense. I was looking at the ext port on the back and thought about unhooking the pins from the motherboard and using that connector to put out the audio and video. I could then make a custom cable to go from DB-9 to the S-video and 2 RCA audio connectors. Good idea, or bad idea? Thanks.

JY
    Yes, that is a good, viable idea. You'd just want to reinforce the serial connector somehow as it would no longer be soldered to the board (or leave it soldered in, and cut the traces leading to it, soldering your wires to the traces instead. An alternative is to get a mini-din jack with enough pins (and matching male plug) and mounting that in place of the RF jack, the hole already there should be large enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was planning on leaving it soldered in since the 5 pins for the top row are easily accessible from the back. If I can use the same ground for both the audio and video then I should be fine. There are 5 pins and I need to hook up the Right, Left, Y, C, and a ground. Do you know if I can use the same ground? I can't really think of a reason why I couldn't.

JY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Do you know if I can use the same ground?
    Yes, that's the whole point of ground, it's a 'common' point. Good luck with your project.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks. The concern I had was that sometimes I have seen circuits where the audio has a separate isolated ground to avoid interference.

JY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Thanks. The concern I had was that sometimes I have seen circuits where the audio has a separate isolated ground to avoid interference.
    Probably depends on the circuit involved, if a high voltage servo or motor is involved it could introduce noise and that's where a separate ground for audio signals would be desired, for something like the Genesis I don't see a problem though.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

much better idea than drilling holes in the case. Or you can go even farther and just build a rgb to s-video circuit and and get stereo sound out of the headphone jack