Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What are some of your favorites no one seems to like?

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Wild Metal on the Dreamcast.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RicknSam
    PSN
    howie6925

super hydlide-Genesis

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DDCecil View Post
    These 3:

I still play and enjoy all 3 to this day.

I also like the 2 N64 Castlevania games, SMB 2, and Zelda II.
    Hydlide no, but every other game you mentioned would be on the list for me as well. I always thought SMB2 was universally liked though.

-Wild ARMs 3 for some reason alot of people don't like(as well as the rest of the series. I mean wtf?)

-Mobile Suit Gundam Encounters in Space, though this is probably because they've never played the game and it has Gundam in the title(if you like Zone of Enders it's almost exactly alike but Gundam-ish.)

-Castlevania Lament of Innocence. Bashed alot as a DMC clone but with a worse level design, it really plays nothing like DMC but it has combo attacks so people judge it on that reason(amazing game though.)

-Castlevania 2. We all know everyone hates this game because they're all following the nerd. That's okay, though, not my problem if they want to bash an amazing game because their opinion is based off anothers.

-Fester's Quest. Same as above.

-Ehrgeiz, Beyond the Beyond, Granstream Saga, King's Field 1 and 2(or 2 and 3 in Japan,) etc, etc, etc. There are alot of good games that are regarded by others as trash.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's nice to see some people actually giving some love to Castlevania 64.

This thread really wants me to check out some games. Many I have never even heard of.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I see a few games I like have already been mentioned: A Nightmare on Elm Street, Zelda II, Castlevania II... SMB II is still my favorite Mario game.

I'm a big fan of the Odyssey2, while a lot of people bash its entire library.

I've also always liked Journey Escape for the 2600, Jaws and... *gasp* Deadly Towers on the NES.
    o2william's Found & Lost

The Odyssey˛ Homepage! - Visit it for Sync-Sound Action!

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mezrabad View Post
    Text Adventures (personal computers circa 1979-1988) - There are many people who call themselves gamers who have never played Zork and its ilk. I'm not saying those people aren't gamers, but they should really look into one of the original artforms of their hobby - they may be surprised at how immersive words on a screen can be.
    I haven't played the old Text Adventures yet, but I plan to. Awhile back I was lucky to find a couple compilations of some Infocom games on CD-ROM, I just haven't got around to playing them yet.

I actually enjoy Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures for the Genesis, it seems most people dislike this game for some reason.

Insert Coin (Level 0) 123►Genei-Jin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Double Dragon 3 (NES)
    Final Fight 3
    Legend of Kage
    SMB 2
    Fighter History Dynamite - Karnov's Revenge
    Street Fighter EX +A

I know I'm forgetting a bunch of them right now

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mario2butts View Post
    Sonic 3D Blast

Universally panned, but I can't help myself. I love it.
    I got your back on this one. I think it's actually quite good. People just got hung up on the fact that it wasn't the true 3D Sonic platformer they wanted. Well, if they had known then what we know now about the quality of 3D Sonic platformers, they might have appreciated 3D Blast!
    [SIZE="4"][URL="http://www.retroreviewproject.com"]The Retro Review Project[/URL][/SIZE]

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Battletoads for Genesis.

Yeah, it's a pain in the ass to play, but it will keep you busy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I liked Mortal Kombat 4 and thought it was alot better than MK3 (which I never liked as much as the rest of the series). But most people hate it and consider it the worst of the regular MK series.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Malon_Forever View Post
    It's nice to see some people actually giving some love to Castlevania 64.
    I never played it on a real system (I HATE the N64's pad) but I tried it on an emulator and would like to give it a try on the real thing one day.

And regarding Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - that was the FIRST RPG I ever played. Even if the game was easy as hell, it still holds a place in my heart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    I never played it on a real system (I HATE the N64's pad) but I tried it on an emulator and would like to give it a try on the real thing one day

Here's a great controller for the N64 analog stick wise. It's similar to the gamecube, but I like it more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Capcom's Soccer Shootout on the SNES is not only the best soccer game and not only the best sports game, it's one of my favorite games of any genre ever on any system. Pure arcade-style soccer action, yet not cartoony or over the top, perfect for people who hate 1-0 games. I have never met anyone else who loves this game aside from my group of friends, and we don't even like "real" soccer that much.

I never understood the hate for Zelda II. It's clearly inferior to LoZ and LttP but it's a damn good game, one of the best on the system. I always wished they'd do another overworld map/side scrolling action game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Count me in on the Zelda II, and SMB2 crowd. I was never more excited in my life the days these two games were released.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've always enjoyed both of the Mystical Ninja games for the N64. I believe Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon is more disliked then Goemon's Great Adventure though as it was a change in format. Both were pretty fun.

Super Mario Bros. 2 I also enjoyed, but I don't really think its a game that no one seems to like. Excluding a certain Youtuber, it doesn't really seem like many people dislike the game. They usually just point out it really isn't a Mario game and move on.

I may be one of the people who also ends up on the Final Fantasy Mystic Quest train. I bought it thinking it was the prequel to Secret of Mana (well in Europe it does have that name) and found out later about what it was. I never liked RPGs though so maybe I'll enjoy one without a challenge.

Moving on to modern games, I did enjoy Sonic and the Secret Rings. It had a lot of problems, but was still relatively enjoyable. Plus it was the first true 3D Sonic game where you didn't have to play as anyone besides Sonic.

I've also enjoyed Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts and NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams. Both are pretty much hated by the fanbase of each game and I have to agree neither stands up to their prequels. They are still somewhat enjoyable even if they do bastardize their respective series...
    I have a sig?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mega Man X6 - THIS is how you do a localization. Everyone else thinks it was "lazy" because they didn't just cut the voices like they did in X5.

FFXI - The only MMO that I've ever really liked. I'm reactivating this month, hopefully I'll get something to 75 before FFXIV, which will undoubtedly become my new obsession,

Gate 88 - Seriously, I don't know anyone else that likes this. It's Asteroids meets RTS, with controls taking after the former. The author went on to make Everyday Shooter, which I don't enjoy nearly as much.

Chex Quest - I know one other guy who like it, let alone played it. The people I know who actually played it generally hated it.

Gundam Crossfire - It has abysmal friendly AI, terrible slowdown, and some cheap missions. Still, it's a realistic Gundam game, which adds some artistic value. More accessible than Armored Core.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 - As much as the game sucks, it had some redeeming qualities. I loved the hub-world in Sonic Adventure, so seeing it implemented again was nice, even if it's not nearly as good. It also looks nice, the art style has definitely evolved into something with a lot of potential. Aside from that, everything sucked. I still look upon it more favorably than most.

Unreal Tournament 2003 - Nobody seems to remember this one too well. Sure, 2004 had most of the same content, but 2003 was an amazing game on its own. Where UT99 perfected deathmatch, 2k3 made it more fun. There's also mods that don't run well on 2k4 that were developed for 2k3.

Chrono Cross - Most people go into this one expecting the wrong thing. It's beautiful on its own if you look at it for what it is. It's not so much a sequel to CT as it is another story in the continuity.

Final Fantasy VIII - This one gets flack for all the wrong reasons. People don't like Squall because he's too negative, but it makes sense over time. It's easily the most human game in the series, but the fanbase has become something rather odd, preferring spiky hair and crazy plots. Given, FF8 jumps the shark when buildings start flying, and the plot doesn't make a whole lot of sense after that, it's still a good story with interesting themes.

The Dig - Eveyone seems to love Monkey Island, Sam & Max, etc. Nobody remembers The Dig, LucasArts only original science-fiction adventure game. The Dig had style and it had a really interesting story. The characters were great and the dialog was memorable. The puzzles were creative, etc. I loved everything about The Dig. I never noticed that the cut-scenes look different from the actual gameplay until I read a negative review, I just thought that was what their animation team came up with and it fit well enough. It's definitely got a cult following, but I wish it had done better and paved the way for more similar games.

A bit off topic, but there's a few games that I feel the complete inverse toward. Everyone raves about them, but I'm filled with hatred.

Halo - I really tried to like it. I played it through and saw it as a crappy Metroid ripoff in terms of story, and a lame shooter in terms of gameplay. I finally found my CD key the other day (backed up in a reg key, finally found a viewer app), and decided to give it one more chance. Before I even finished the first chapter, I had the worst headache of my LIFE. It took me hours to get to sleep that night. The art style TRIES, but that's the only complement I can give it.

Final Fantasy VII - I loved FF7. That was before Advent Children. That was before the fanboyism became widespread. That was before FF8 even came out. It's viewed differently today. There's a really good art style that you can tell it was going for, but it doesn't keep it consistent, forgivable considering their experience with PSX development. What they turned it into years later isn't that art style, it's something different. Now, while I have fond memories and still play it from time to time, I can't say that I'm anything close to what is now considered an FF7 fan.

Insert Coin (Level 0) chrissylas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I LOVE Text Adventures. Adventure games in general is my favorite genre so I'm a sucker for anything that involves more puzzles and less twitch action.

Also, Mystical Ninja 64 is probably my favorite N64 game ever. I'm an idiot so I own the American version, the EUR version and the Japanese version.

As far as mine:

Wall Street Kid for NES. Sure it's not that exciting but I remember buying it for the collection a few years ago and popping it in to see if it worked. Four hours later I stopped trying to make money and finally turned it off. It's probably in my top 5 NES games and I have no real idea why.

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer for the NES. I grew up playing this game and it has always held a soft spot in my gaming heart. What kind of person could hate a game where the first level has a giant octopus in the bottom of a huge ship infected with rats and pirates and where the second level involves rafting down a river with the ability to jump 100 feet in the air?

Strawberry (Level 2) Saabmeister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is there ANYBODY else out there that loves Auto Destruct for the Playstation?
    Ponce De Leon,
    Constantly on,
    The fountain of youth,
    Not Robotron.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

Club Drive on the Jaguar. I've always liked it, and most people dump all over it.

South Park Rally on the Dreamcast. I never read any good reviews about it when it came out, so I put off buying it until I found it cheap. And it turned out to be pretty fun. A lot of reviewers complained about the courses and not having set tracks that you can end up going the wrong way on, but that's what I liked about it.

Star Wars: Demolition on the Dreamcast. Plenty of people have crapped on this game, but I love it. It takes the vehicular combat mechanics of Vigilante 8: Second Offense, but fixes the bugs from that game and makes it a little more challenging. I still fire it up to this day and play it for an hour or two at a time.

One game that I never really heard anything about, even right after its release, was Roadkill for the Xbox/GC/PS2. I loved the absolute hell out of that game. I bought every version and played it through at least a dozen times across all three consoles. I even hooked my GameCube up to my laptop and recorded some of the talk radio stations.
    Last edited by Steve W; 07-04-2009 at 12:51 AM.

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

My heart belongs to Phantom Dust. Turning Magic the Gathering into an action/mystical/weirdout massive one on one... one on three sometimes... gameplay... ah... it's so crazy. I love me some Phantom Dust. If you have an xbox get this.
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.