Thread: Another silly comment from Activison!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    So in other words, when people say they want straight talk from people in power they're full of it. People don't really want to be told the truth. They like being fed the PR line because it's easier to listen to.

I vehemently disagree. I'd rather hear something that hurts than be played the fool. The guy's clearly a bit off his rocker for a number of the things he's said. But at least we know where he stands. I don't think he should be singled out as a villain solely because he's saying what this CEO is thinking or that CEO is thinking. Are we punishing the idea or just the verbalizing of it? What should we be punishing if anything at all?

Remember what you're saying. You want to hang the guy for being honest about what he thinks. Perhaps he's tactless in his honesty but, nevertheless, remember what you're saying the next time you get angry at a lying politician or a sleazy businessman.
    I don't get angry at them, I don't want to punish him. I've been through this too many times that I'm numb to it. It's the way things work. I think one of the first times I realized the level of bullshit people throw around is when Bill Clinton said "It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is."

The whole Internets reaction of "This guy is a dick" is just proving that people can't handle the truth. I'd hate to see NeoGAF's thread on this latest gem.

There is no punishment or reciprocation, which was also a motivator for him being so off the cuff. He's not crazy, he's brazen. And that is looked down upon in America's HR-controlled, politically correct corporate culture. All I'm saying is he shouldn't have done it because it goes against the hierarchy that put him at the top of one of the largest publishers out there. To answer your question, I'm just verbalizing it and pointing it out.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    I don't get angry at them, I don't want to punish him. I've been through this too many times that I'm numb to it. It's the way things work. I think one of the first times I realized the level of bullshit people throw around is when Bill Clinton said "It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is."

The whole Internets reaction of "This guy is a dick" is just proving that people can't handle the truth. I'd hate to see NeoGAF's thread on this latest gem.

There is no punishment or reciprocation, which was also a motivator for him being so off the cuff. He's not crazy, he's brazen. And that is looked down upon in America's HR-controlled, politically correct corporate culture. All I'm saying is he shouldn't have done it because it goes against the hierarchy that put him at the top of one of the largest publishers out there. To answer your question, I'm just verbalizing it and pointing it out.
    I agree that what he's doing isn't considered corporately cordial. You'll get no argument from me on those grounds. What I'm asking, though, is why he's considered the bad guy in this thread. If speaking the truth when we get so little of it in the first place is wrong then it's no wonder we get so little of it in the first place.

What I'm reading is that people are angry because what he's saying more or less comes off as greed. "We're making a killing because we're nickel and diming you people! Yay, us!"

But what people seem angry about isn't so much the idea of the greed itself (if you can even call it that) but rather that he simply verbalized it. Therefore, Activision is taking more heat than, say, Namco or Capcom (which also have a tendency to nickel and dime, and for stuff already in the damn game no less) simply because Namco and Capcom are better at feeding the company line. I don't see why Activision should be punished above other companies that do the same thing simply because Activision isn't feeding the public the standard PR nonsense.

To get mad at Kotick is like saying "You shouldn't be telling us what you really think. You should be telling us what a great bargain we're getting even if it's no bargain at all."
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 09-16-2009 at 06:57 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

What I'm asking, though, is why he's considered the bad guy in this thread.
    Damned if I know. Best guess is people like to complain about things if they can. See also: Obama calling famous jackass Kayne West "a jackass" and the media "uproar" that a human being called a jackass a jackass.

If speaking the truth when we get so little of it in the first place is wrong then it's no wonder we get so little of it in the first place.
    Ding, fries are done.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The thing that really pisses me off about Activision is their total lack of support once the warantee period has expired. They don't provide parts nor do the have an exchange service for broken peripherials, they just expect the stupid gamer to go buy another of their poorly engineered products. I, for one , will not purchase their products for this reason.

As far as Kotick's statements, you know that they are making tons of money off of you, but he doesn't have to be so arrogant. Kinda like biting the hand that feeds you. Activision is a business and they need to make money to survive, they should be grateful they are suceeding in these hard economic times. And they are suceeding due to their customers, he should conside this before making any statements to the public.

George