Thread: 'Sega Racing Classic' promo image - Is this basicly Daytona 3 ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

Default 'Sega Racing Classic' promo image - Is this basicly Daytona 3 ?

Saw this on GAF and my heart skipped a beat:

A poster named STORM over at the Sega Nerds Forums has discovered a beautiful image that appears to show that Sega Racing Classic could be a spiritual sequel to Daytona USA.

For the RINGWIDE arcade platform?

If this is indeed an actual game, and if it's basicly "Daytona USA 3", just without the name, I sure as heck hope it comes home to consoles & PC.

SEGA Racing Classic artwork spotted?

Remember when we reported that SEGA Europe had licensed “SEGA Racing Classic” for Arcade machines and coin-operated machines? No? Well I forgive you, because I completely forgot about it too. Anyway here’s a reminder of that trademark.

All up to speed? Good. Well one of our main forum goers, STORM!, has spotted the some artwork related to SEGA Racing Classic.

The image has the same logo that the trademark showed, so there’s a good chance this is legit (not to doubt our members - just nice to be sure). [Click image for larger picture, or visit the forums for full sized image]

SEGA isn’t wrong to call it ‘classic’ either. As the image shows all the signs of being classic SEGA:

* Blue Skies - check.
    * Developed by AM2 - check.
    * Bright, colourful artwork - check
    * The Hornet from Daytona USA - check.

In fact the only thing to suggest that this isn’t just the old Daytona USA poster (with a new title) is the inclusion of the RingWide symbol. RingWide being one of SEGA’s newest Arcade machines, running the likes of Border Break.

But it’s going to be interesting to see just what the game has to offer. Will it be a new Arcade machine featuring several classic SEGA racers? Or is it a new/ revamped version of Daytona USA?

The image certainly points more to a Daytona oriented game. I can remember someone telling us that since EA owns the Nascar license, they also own the rights to the Daytona name. I can’t remember if that is true or not, but if it is, then perhaps SEGA Racing Classic is SEGA’s way to get round awkward licensing issues and make a new Daytona game?

Stay tuned for more information as soon as we find it.

[Special Thanks: STORM!, Via The Forums]
    http://www.seganerds.com/2009/09/25/...twork-spotted/

Remember that Daytona 3 was originally (and semi-officially) supposed to be in development for Dreamcast.
    It was listed as something like "TBA" after Daytona USA 2001 had been released in Japan in late 2000.
    I remember seeing it listed on IGN in 2001...oh here: http://dreamcast.ign.com/articles/090/090855p1.html
    Sega Gives Glimpse at Future of Dreamcast Software
    Tons of new titles revealed. Jet Grind Radio 2! Daytona 3! Volleyball from Yu Suzuki? Oh hells yes
    Daytona 3 - We're not to sure if this is a new title, or if Sega was referring to Daytona Online, but we asked twice, and both times they said "yes, Daytona 3. Ooh, baby!

However Daytona 3 never showed, and it was among many canceled Dreamcast games, or games that were just ideas or whatever.
    Then later around 2002, it was rumored to be in development for the NAOMI 2 arcade board, which was of course more powerful than Dreamcast/NAOMI. Then it was rumored to be in the works for the Chihiro arcade board / Xbox console, under various titles like Daytona LIVE and Daytona USA 2003, but again, nothing came of those rumors.

Now years later, perhaps we again have a glimmer of hope for a new Daytona game, even if it's without the Daytona title.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

id be more than happy with regular old daytona with a 40-car online feature

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hope this is a compilation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

It seems the most likely possibility is that it's a remake (another remake) of the original 1994 MODEL 2 arcade game that started it all. Be it for release on disc, or digital download.

Dreamcast version was the first remake BTW.

A compilation would be nice, as long as it's not a "remix".... I used to shutter at those rumors years ago of a "racers megamix" that would include the tracks from various Sega racing games. Glad it never happened. Sega's strength was always it's actual arcade games that were in arcades originally, not "arcade styled" games built for home consoles.

A straight up Daytona game (even without the name) built first and foremost for the arcade, and then brought home, is what I want to see most.

Also, the truth is, we have never seen a truly perfect port of Daytona for home use. All of the Saturn versions were way short in terms of graphics. The graphically superior (than arcade) Dreamcast version was still somewhat flawed in terms of handling, control, physics, drone car A.I. etc. And Daytona 2 was never brought home of course, not counting the Daytona 2 based bonus course included with the Xbox version of OutRun2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The article's theory about the Daytona license is incorrect. Any company is free to license the Daytona International Speedway name, it isn't something included with the NASCAR license, so EA's soon to expire exclusive NASCAR license isn't relevant.

The IP is owned by the International Speedway Corporation, who has licensed it to a variety of companies and projects since EA acquired the exclusive NASCAR license, including for use in Gran Turismo 5 and the iRacing.com racing simulation software.

Most likely, Sega just doesn't want to pay the money to license it since they feel the Daytona name isn't critical to the title succeeding in the marketplace. After all, any connection to the real speedway and the racing that occurs there was slim at best with the series. It didn't provide anything except a nice name that is familiar to racefans around the world.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 09-26-2009 at 11:41 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

heres hoping for a 360 release (download or otherwise) at a nice price with great online play !!!