View Poll Results: Would you pay a reasonable amount for a custom "special edition" NES?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yea, for sure!

0 0%
  • Yes, but only if the price was right and/or the paintjob is well-done.

13 46.43%
  • Nah.

15 53.57%

Thread: Would anyone be interested in a custom painted/decaled NES?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Would anyone be interested in a custom painted/decaled NES?

Thinking of doing a project, and if it works out well then I may do a limited batch. I was inspired by looking at the front of the SMB3 cart. What I want to do is paint the grey top of the NES the same yellow shade as the cart label (excluding the black trim), and then custom-order a decal of the SMB3 logo and the Mario graphic and then apply this over top. I will likely get the gentleman doing the decals to also do the "Nintendo Entertainment System" text so that I can paint it over and then re-apply it for a professional look. The power LED would also be replaced by a high-intensity yellow or white one.
    If I were to successfully create one and get my costs down enough that I could turn a small profit by making more, I would likely do a run of 25 or so and then make another design. It would come with a matching-color Zapper and controller (competently painted of course) and any NES I sell would have a new 72-pin connector in it. After that, I'm considering doing a blue paint-job and then doing an in-game scene from SMB with decals, or possibly a Contra one?
    The only question is if anyone would be interested in getting one. I would post pics of my finished product and then go from there. I think these would be great unique Xmas gifts for anyone who enjoys NES games but doesn't have a collection themselves. What do you guys think?
    I'm back on the collecting bandwagon after a long long hiatus

Digital Press feedback

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm sure people would, it'd hinge a lot on the cost though ;p

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I definitely would. Keep us posted on this!
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk... Have at you!"

My feedback thread: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93213

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Very interested, but strictly dependent on price.
    *** Visit our store ***
    Gamedeals Video Games
    407 Columbia St. New Westminster BC
    http://www.gamedeals.ca

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm hoping someone around has a crapload of toaster NES systems they can sell on the cheap so I can keep my costs down, but if not, I'm thinking that any interested parties could just ship their base unit to me and I could ship it back with the new paintjob and a new 72-pin. I could also disable the lockout chip too on request.

Digital Press feedback

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Hmmm..
    Where are you located..?

This is something that I could meet a person near or at the Digital Press store to kill shipping cost.

any interest in just the Lids-tops..

I know I have 6-7 in a Priority box in the basement right now...Plus some more in storage and several more here...I also have a lot of doorless deck lids..

I have a bunch of NES systems/decks..some work,some I haven't tested and or are a part...Right now I have one that I've been messing with,it has an interference issue..(hum)
    I don't get these cheap so selling them for $10-15 each is really going lover then I pay..

But to ship them would be murder..

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm in Huntsville, Ontario, so shipping them would likely be exorbitant. Thanks for the offer though

As for the "prototype", I have a top in the garage right now drying off. The paint I'm using is a Krylon plastic bonding spray paint, Sun Yellow. It's very similar to the SMB3 cart color. My only concern is repainting or decalling the Nintendo Entertainment System logo on the front of the cart door. I have applied multiple coats but it still shows through the paint; this may be helpful though for me to redo the logo. Anyone happen to have a vector image of it?

Next step is to install the yellow LED, but I will post pictures of the finished paintjob for all to see. I am not painting the inside of the lid to save on paint costs, but I will be painting the inside of the door, so the only way you will see the original grey plastic is if you open the unit for repairs. Otherwise, it should be asthetically perfect. The bottom is being left dark grey but I think the unit will look fine like that, if I were to paint it yellow as well I feel it'd look a bit strange, plus I would have to worry about the darned text on the buttons.

Digital Press feedback